Launch monitor question

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope to go and try out some drivers at a dealer who has no range but has a launch monitor set up with net etc. My question is what stats do I need to look out for and how to determine good and bad ones etc, don't want to fall for sales man pitch etc!!

Thanks in advance

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swing speed, ball speed. The ratio of the latter to the former is the smash factor.

Launch angle and spin rate. These are correlated and taken with ball speed will determine the distance you get. You will also get side spin, which tells how much slice/hook there is.

The spin rate/launch angle can be complicated, so better to let the pro interpret those for you. You can keep an eye on how consistent or variable you are, and factor that into the decisions. No point in improving your best swings slightly if you turn poor ones into disasters.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Look at the dispersion pattern too.
No point in having a driver that you can hit 300 yards but your dispersion could put you anywhere on the course - or off it. Better to have a little less distance but a tight dispersion.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Try and find someone who uses the Trackman System - by far and away the best in my opinion

Chris

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Look at carry distance as much as total distance.

Either use the balls you use, or get a ball fit. It's your choice as to whether you use a ball for off the tee / long game or around the green. I wouldn't sacrifice around the green play myself.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
DON'T :mad:

you MUST see the ball flight, stats are good but you need visual feedback on any club

A

Alex1975

you MUST see the ball flight, stats are good but you need visual feedback on any club

I have to agree with the DON'T here! I was fitted for my iron shafts indoors and was very happy until I got outside and found my ball flight so high the ball came down with ice on it!!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah would love to but problem I have is the drivers I like are last seasons plus and so limited stockists on the ft-9 and fr-iq. Will have to do a bit of extra digging, as don't trust just what a machine says either!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Also take your current driver with you to compare with.

No point taking the best of the trial bunch if it isn't better than the one you have now.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have to agree with the DON'T here! I was fitted for my iron shafts indoors and was very happy until I got outside and found my ball flight so high the ball came down with ice on it!!

Tbh, this is good advice. There is no substitute for seeing the actual ball flight rather than an estimate from a LM. If you have no choice but hit in net, ensure that the fitter doesn't just focus on max ball speed...this has to be factored in with launch angle and spin rate.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

Why can't he look at the ball flight and use the trackman/vector? :D

As long as the Monitor is on a range?