Latest Trilby Tour Offer.....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just received an email with a "last chance" invite to play in the Trilby Tour event being held at Gaudet Luce Golf Club in Worcestershire for just £285.00.
Having never heard of the place, I thought I'd Google it.
I can book a game up including a nice juicy burger in the clubhouse for £20.00 per person.
That'll be a "No" from me then.
:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is obviously well trod ground, however, I'm not anti-Trilby Tour. I like the concept and if it were played at a prestigious course that I would actually like to play, I'd probably do it.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
From most of the posts about the Trilby tour on here I would say that it's not something that I would bother with. Paying that sort of money to play in an event beset by bandits on an average track is just silly.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I played in it once and the concept is great but the whole thing is spoiled by banditry, huge egos and excessive cost to play courses not even good enough to be average. And don't get me started on that total eejit that does the narration for the bloopers on Sky!!

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I played a local qualifying event at Hanbury Manor for £50 back in 2012. Great offer & top three got an entry into one of the main events for free. I think TT has a place in the greater scheme of golf events in UK. It offers a chance for people who may not enter other events due to stigma about handicap, dress, etiquette, etc. Pays your money & takes your choice...:thup:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm not totally against it in principle.... I played in it once at Bearwood Lakes. Cost me £250.00 I think, and there were some good courses to choose from like The Oxfordshire etc. Didn't seem too bad at the time. But to pay £285.00 to take part on a course I can get on for £20.00 INCLUDING food, (albeit a burger), is a pee take.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
If they were to get a course that was anywhere near half decent then the price would probably be about 3 x as much.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not totally against it in principle.... I played in it once at Bearwood Lakes. Cost me £250.00 I think, and there were some good courses to choose from like The Oxfordshire etc. Didn't seem too bad at the time. But to pay £285.00 to take part on a course I can get on for £20.00 INCLUDING food, (albeit a burger), is a pee take.

That's a shame Rob your a prime candidate for rogues gallery

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Don't you get a bag, golf attire to wear and a few other bits & bobs also?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played a local qualifying event at Hanbury Manor for £50 back in 2012. Great offer & top three got an entry into one of the main events for free. I think TT has a place in the greater scheme of golf events in UK. It offers a chance for people who may not enter other events due to stigma about handicap, dress, etiquette, etc. Pays your money & takes your choice...:thup:

Doesn't it have the daftest dress code in golf?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't you get a bag, golf attire to wear and a few other bits & bobs also?

Yes you do. If the bags had decent zips on them they would be ok. If your caddy was a painter and decorator then their overalls would also be of use again as they are pretty well made.

Not sure what more TT can do in respect of banditry as every competitor has to have a CDH number and an up to date (within 10 days of playing) handicap certificate signed by club official on club headed paper. The max handicap is 18.You then play off 3/4 handicap so no one gets more than 14 shots.

The problem lies else where in respect of accurate handicaps as was highlighted recently in the EGU Seniors thread where the winner of one of the comps was predicted well before the event took place, despite his poor form in qualifying events at his home club!

In the TT event I played at Preston this year the top two scores were 38 points and one of the guys shot level par gross. 33 points would have got you in the top ten. I believe the week before it was won with something like 42 (or more) points by a guy whose full handicap was in the 20's!!!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which is mostly tat but you have to wear it. And if it rains and you cover said clothing with waterproofs you won't get television coverage even if you win!!

doesnt sound a bad deal to me.. id wear a jumper just to not appear on tv lol

D

Deleted member 15344

The initial idea of the TT was very good - playing comps on top courses but it all changed when

The courses become poor , the price wen through the roof , the daft rules on what you must wear , the rules on when you must be at the tee , a vehicle to stroke an ego , the worst golf coverage ever seen on telly and a target for cheats searching for big prizes.

There are far better opens out there worth playing that are on better courses , for far better value and are also HC qualifying

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The initial idea of the TT was very good - playing comps on top courses but it all changed when

The courses become poor , the price wen through the roof , the daft rules on what you must wear , the rules on when you must be at the tee , a vehicle to stroke an ego , the worst golf coverage ever seen on telly and a target for cheats searching for big prizes.

There are far better opens out there worth playing that are on better courses , for far better value and are also HC qualifying

Cheats?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just received an email with a "last chance" invite to play in the Trilby Tour event being held at Gaudet Luce Golf Club in Worcestershire for just £285.00.
Having never heard of the place, I thought I'd Google it.
I can book a game up including a nice juicy burger in the clubhouse for £20.00 per person.
That'll be a "No" from me then.
:mad::mad::mad:

So is it only a matter of time before the TT arrives at Lydd?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Like a few on here, I'm not against the idea of it but I just couldn't justify spending that much money to play an average course against (potentially against) fellow competitors that have protected their handicap so I have absolutely no chance of winning anyway.

I appreciate it is a business but the profit margins the Trilby Tour makes seem way too steep to be considered good value.