Laser issue!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So today for the first time ever I had an issue with my laser. I've heard of people complaining about this or had problems in low visibility or certain light conditions.

Today out on the course a slight drizzle/light mist rolled in for about 4 holes and I couldn't pick up the flag at all with my laser. I've played in rain, low light etc for years and never had this happen until today!

Maybe I need to pay my Skycaddie subscription again for "back up".

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So today for the first time ever I had an issue with my laser. I've heard of people complaining about this or had problems in low visibility or certain light conditions.

Today out on the course a slight drizzle/light mist rolled in for about 4 holes and I couldn't pick up the flag at all with my laser. I've played in rain, low light etc for years and never had this happen until today!

Maybe I need to pay my Skycaddie subscription again for "back up".

mine is usless in light drizzle, for some reason its fine when its hammering it down??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
mine is usless in light drizzle, for some reason its fine when its hammering it down??
I'm thinking that the closer the precipitation is to fog the worse the diffusion and so poorer performance you get. Heavy rain may therefore result in less degradation that a dense light drizzle that is almost mist - or fog. I did once know this stuff for laser guidance but it is all in the hazy and distant past,

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No issues with my Bushnell but just incase not that I ever use it mine has the digital GPS showing front back and middle yardages

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking that the closer the precipitation is to fog the worse the diffusion and so poorer performance you get. Heavy rain may therefore result in less degradation that a dense light drizzle that is almost mist - or fog. I did once know this stuff for laser guidance but it is all in the hazy and distant past,
So what happens to a laser guided missile if it’s foggy?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My Nikon one works well in low light and or mist. Generally if you can see the pin clearly it will work. If you can't, the course should be closed.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My Nikon one works well in low light and or mist. Generally if you can see the pin clearly it will work. If you can't, the course should be closed.

It's Nikon that I use and as I say yesterday was the first issue I've had. Owned it was about 4 seasons now and never had an issue in any conditions until yesterday. Visibility wasn't even that bad, just a very fine mist/drizzle rolled in from the sea.

D

Deleted member 25172

Whenever I’ve had an issue with my laser (precision pro) it’s been in the exact same conditions as already have been mentioned, I.e., drizzle/mist/fog

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My caddytek has outperformed my mates 300 quid bushnell on numerous occasions.

His has bells and whistles. My one just works.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So what happens to a laser guided missile if it’s foggy?
It doesn’t work so well..actually it depends on the form of guidance used for the missile or bomb - laser guided stuff does not utilise fully autonomous homing guidance and always have supplementary guidance information available. And different guidance systems are developed and used for different parts of the world. Note that the laser used to guide the missile or bomb is never on the missile or bomb.

[EDIT] Well that's how I remember systems working 25yrs ago :)

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It doesn’t work so well..actually it depends on the form of guidance used for the missile or bomb - laser guided stuff does not utilise fully autonomous homing guidance and always have supplementary guidance information available. And different guidance systems are developed and used for different parts of the world. Note that the laser used to guide the missile or bomb is never on the missile or bomb.

[EDIT] Well that's how I remember systems working 25yrs ago :)
Thanks ,I do remember the target has to be lit up by a laser so the missile can find it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks ,I do remember the target has to be lit up by a laser so the missile can find it.
That's right - well not quite lit up and missile finding the target - the target is picked out as we do picking out a flag - either by some fella on the ground (who could be very close to the target) or from the launch or other aircraft - and I guess they'll use drones these days also. The laser measurement and position of the laser generates beam-riding commands (Command to Line of Sight). The missile has, or gets given, an idea of where it is - clever algorithms (the things I used to come up with :) ) then provide commands to the missile to make it fly towards the Line of Sight that is the laser beam - and the commands sent to the missile keep it on the LoS to the target. Actually relatively simple stuff compared with some guidance and navigation systems.

Bad weather? - if all they basically got is laser then the guy on the ground has to get close to the target...

Last edited: