Laser features, worth the extra?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My ~10+ year old Bushnell thinks everything is 59 yards away, which is only useful if I’m 59 yards away. I have an S3 GPS for front-middle-back. It is perfect until it isn’t, I pull the laser out maybe 4 or 5 times in a normal round but at an away course will get loads of use.

What are folks using and are features like Slope etc worth the extra? I don’t mind spending on quality if it’s going to last years so not looking for the cheapest option that’ll do the job. But interested to know - are the bells and whistles a novelty you switch off after a while or properly enhance the tool?

Thanks all.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the latest Bushnell without slope, it wasn’t any better technically than the Tasco. It has the highlighter in scope and vibration.. but that is common. The lense is better optically with better clarity. But the main thing was the weight and feel. Which kind of persuaded me because I thought just get what you want as these have quite long lives and that extra cost just disappears after a few years.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've had the Busnell Hybrid, Garmin Z80, Precision Pro, Nissan Coolshot and Golf Buddy lasers. Between them they have had every feature on the planet, most of which were just too finicky and time-consuming to bother with.

I've never found slope to be of any use.

I currently have a Leupold Gx-2i3. Compact, accurate and picks out pins lightning quick. It has "Plays Like" feature which take things like slope, weather? And how far you hit certain clubs to adjust the range and recommend club selection, I've never used it. An extremely useful feature is the Fog mode which enhances its functionality when, surprise, surprise, it is foggy.

Expensive, hard to find, but I can't recommend it enough.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Bushnell XE with slope.
It’s not worth it.
You can’t use it in comps ( yet).
You learn to club up or down with practice.
Just my opinion but have had it two years and never used it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I still use the V2 - no frills.
It would be interesting to have a look at one with Slope function but, as has been said, it has to be off in comps and I think I'd get bored of it after a while so it would be a waste.
Once you've used it once or twice at your home course you know the slope...

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is great info folks thank you for taking the time. Sort of had my eye on the slope but will be steering clear now - very useful.

Keep em coming! Never heard of Leupold, will look up ??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing I found with the slope is it gave very accurate slope measurements then converts it to yardages.
It always seemed to put a dought in my mind by giving me yardages in between clubs.
Nobody ( ams anyway is that accurate) so I found it unessesary.
I only got this as they never had the one I wanted and they gave me this instead.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Leupold, a family owned American company. Renown for their gun sights which carry a lifetime warranty. Their golf scopes also used to have a lifetime warranty but don't any longer. However, there are many stories online about people returning a laser with a problem that was outside the warranty period and getting a replacement in return.

Their customer service was at one time legendary.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing I found with the slope is it gave very accurate slope measurements then converts it to yardages.
It always seemed to put a dought in my mind by giving me yardages in between clubs.
Nobody ( ams anyway is that accurate) so I found it unessesary.
I only got this as they never had the one I wanted and they gave me this instead.

Yeah the verdict seems to be slope is out. You get to know one club/two club slopes so I guess it was more curiosity really made me want it. Happy to pass on recommendations above!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Purchased a Precision Pro NX9 at the weekend, and it will
get its first run out this weekend.

looking forward to it, and a bargain. use code NOLAYINGUP for $20 off.

they have a UK warehouse so it all ships locally. They do a non-slope version too, so definitely worth a look rather than paying £350 for a Bushnell

D

Deleted Member 1156

My ~10+ year old Bushnell thinks everything is 59 yards away, which is only useful if I’m 59 yards away. I have an S3 GPS for front-middle-back. It is perfect until it isn’t, I pull the laser out maybe 4 or 5 times in a normal round but at an away course will get loads of use.

What are folks using and are features like Slope etc worth the extra? I don’t mind spending on quality if it’s going to last years so not looking for the cheapest option that’ll do the job. But interested to know - are the bells and whistles a novelty you switch off after a while or properly enhance the tool?

Thanks all.
The thing is, how good is your distance control. When you are 59 yards away how often do you actually hit it 59 yards? I'm guessing sometimes 56, sometimes 62 yards. So I think you're being a bit harsh on your Bushnell, I reckon it's still useful to you from any distance between 56 and 62 yards ?

To answer your question....... ? I've got a basic Nikon. Does everything I need apart from work in drizzly conditions when it defaults to 11.5 yards. Which is great when I'm 11.5 yards away..........

I'm here all week ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing is, how good is your distance control. When you are 59 yards away how often do you actually hit it 59 yards? I'm guessing sometimes 56, sometimes 62 yards. So I think you're being a bit harsh on your Bushnell, I reckon it's still useful to you from any distance between 56 and 62 yards ?

To answer your question....... ? I've got a basic Nikon. Does everything I need apart from work in drizzly conditions when it defaults to 11.5 yards. Which is great when I'm 11.5 yards away..........

I'm here all week ?

True, except I wouldnt use it inside 100 so it is of absolutely no use. However, I know a certain animal on the PGA tour who might be interested in the distance to drizzle, as long as you could calculate the density of said drizzle. Otherwise it would be useless.

I know what you mean the Nikon looks good. I hadn’t seen the Precision @Wabinez looks good but I wonder is it like @harpo_72 says about the Tasco is the build quality cheap? If it’s going to break in a few years I may as well pay double for something that lasts twice as long and has better quality optics no? Or is it better built than that? I took good care of the Bushnell, I don’t drop kick things for giggles but I knew it was a solid unit at the same time.

As for a gun manufacturer sight @Golfnut1957 Im playing behind 3 of the slowest folks in our club tomorrow so you may have just hit upon a very profitable synergy. Let’s talk before going to the Dragons.

D

Deleted Member 1156

True, except I wouldnt use it inside 100 so it is of absolutely no use. However, I know a certain animal on the PGA tour who might be interested in the distance to drizzle, as long as you could calculate the density of said drizzle. Otherwise it would be useless.

I know what you mean the Nikon looks good. I hadn’t seen the Precision @Wabinez looks good but I wonder is it like @harpo_72 says about the Tasco is the build quality cheap? If it’s going to break in a few years I may as well pay double for something that lasts twice as long and has better quality optics no? Or is it better built than that? I took good care of the Bushnell, I don’t drop kick things for giggles but I knew it was a solid unit at the same time.

As for a gun manufacturer sight @Golfnut1957 Im playing behind 3 of the slowest folks in our club tomorrow so you may have just hit upon a very profitable synergy. Let’s talk before going to the Dragons.
Homer did a review of a budget laser on his blog (can't remember the brand) and he reckons it was alright. Might be worth reading for some impartial consumer advice. I've got a Ben Sayers budget jobbie for my holiday clubs. Wouldn't recommend it, very difficult to lock onto the target.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Homer did a review of a budget laser on his blog (can't remember the brand) and he reckons it was alright. Might be worth reading for some impartial consumer advice. I've got a Ben Sayers budget jobbie for my holiday clubs. Wouldn't recommend it, very difficult to lock onto the target.

Yeah recall that and it’s in the review section, not for me I think, thinking of nipping to the shop this afternoon and seeing what they have in ? Good advice above though on what’s superfluous

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had a caddytec laser for about 4 years now. Quality bit of kit. Tested beside my mates top of the range bushnell and goes yard for yard.
It feels more solid in the hand. The bushnell is that light it feels like a toy.
Actually out performed the bushnell in a light hazy drizzle. I could get a read. He couldn't.

Can be picked up for 150 pounds.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s interesting. I reckon some of the newer/cheaper manufacturers can make pretty equivalent tech to the established brands in terms of performance but it’s the durability that’s a concern. Maybe they’ve caught up on that too? 4 years and counting is good at that price

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s interesting. I reckon some of the newer/cheaper manufacturers can make pretty equivalent tech to the established brands in terms of performance but it’s the durability that’s a concern. Maybe they’ve caught up on that too? 4 years and counting is good at that price

I say they have caught up alright especially on the big name brands older models. I used a mates Nikon which is maybe 7 years old now and I felt like a drunken sniper.

I can attest to that caddytek being durable. I dont look after it like a faberge egg. Its had drops, knocks the lot and still works great.

I do fancy a new cover for it sometime. The one that comes is a little boring and plain but still havnt got round to replacing it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had a caddytec laser for about 4 years now. Quality bit of kit. Tested beside my mates top of the range bushnell and goes yard for yard.
It feels more solid in the hand. The bushnell is that light it feels like a toy.
Actually out performed the bushnell in a light hazy drizzle. I could get a read. He couldn't.

Can be picked up for 150 pounds.

Isn’t light a good thing though if your carrying your clubs?
They are made to be as light as possible.