Are Waterproof Bags Worth the extra money?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Possibly looking to get a bag for my trolley in the near future, as the title states are they worth the extra ? What are the pros and cons ?

May seem like a daft question do they have a pocket for your drinks ? Are the pockets smaller ? If you break a zip, can it be fixed or is that the waterproofing wrecked for that pocket.

Only asking as if spending more money thought I would find these answers out first.

Cheers

Midnight...

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say 100% yes. My titleist sta dry bag has been brilliant in the rain. All my bits (including iPhone) in the bag have always been dry and never affected by the rain.

Are they much more expensive?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never had an issue with the waterproofing but the durability of my 3ish year old Sta-Dry was rubbish, had a leg fall out (not break, just slip out because the way it was fastened into the socket at the top was terrible. Bit of kitchen roll to fatten it up and a drenching of superglue sorted that. Add that they didn't take much care in assembly with the zip pulls being upside down and other niggles. They presumably improved in those areas since.

Didn't have a bottle compartment either but I never saw that as an issue, really simple to just take it out of the main clothing pocket and put in again.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In this country, without doubt for me. No drinks pocket a minor annoyance, pockets no smaller, never had a problem with waterproofing or the zips on my h2no, biggest issue i had was cleaning out a bottle of drink that spilt inside!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you hate emptying your bag and drying the contents of the pockets after a game in the rain then yes it's totally worth the extra.

The downsides for me are due to the waterproof material the bag looks rubbish with nothing in the pockets because they don't hold their shape at all (all the pics you see on the internet will be with the pockets stuffed full of something to pad them out).

Thankfully ^^ is only an issue for 10 minutes after you get it because I don't think there's enough pockets to keep everything.
Admittedly I'm one of those that wants everything I might ever need in the bag 'just in case', but I would like more storage space. 7 pockets isn't a lot on a modern bag imo.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
In this country, without doubt for me. No drinks pocket a minor annoyance, pockets no smaller, never had a problem with waterproofing or the zips on my h2no, biggest issue i had was cleaning out a bottle of drink that spilt inside!

This ^^^ As much as I like my ClicGear bag, and will live with the rain-jacket for summer showers, I revert to an H2NO for winter. No drinks pocket not an issue for me as the trolley has space to hang 2 bottles, just make sure you do the zips up, as otherwise you will be trying to dry out the pocket.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bear in mind that putting wet clubs into a water proof bag means they wont dry out naturally. Stuff still neefs to be dried after golf. They are a bag, not a miracle worker.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get a cape. Fraction of the cost, keeps the bag dry, you can still get into all the pockets easily and no hassle if a zip does get broken. I bought a Ping cape for £30 and it's done great work so far in the wettest conditions

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got the Motocaddy 16 Dry series bag and it does what it says on the tin.

Plenty of room in main side pockets to easily hold, waterproofs, extra jumper, wooley hat, mittens and buff. Front pockest happily swallow balls, tin with tees etc, scorecard holder and various choccy bars. Drink goes into top of side pocket.

However the two valuables pockets have small openings so tricky to get stuff out, but generally use for car keys and loose change.

When it's been raining bring the bag indoors and leave in the utility with the boiler in ans club grips are dry in the morning.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've got the Motocaddy 16 Dry series bag and it does what it says on the tin.

Plenty of room in main side pockets to easily hold, waterproofs, extra jumper, wooley hat, mittens and buff. Front pockest happily swallow balls, tin with tees etc, scorecard holder and various choccy bars. Drink goes into top of side pocket.

However the two valuables pockets have small openings so tricky to get stuff out, but generally use for car keys and loose change.

When it's been raining bring the bag indoors and leave in the utility with the boiler in ans club grips are dry in the morning.

I have this bag too. The pockets are way to small, badly arranged, nothing fits in them the way i would like, the umbrella is inaccessible, the handles are in the wrong place, i cant get my hand into the pocket my keys go into, and i hate it.

But, its water proof, and fits my trolley.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have this bag too. The pockets are way to small, badly arranged, nothing fits in them the way i would like, the umbrella is inaccessible, the handles are in the wrong place, i cant get my hand into the pocket my keys go into, and i hate it.

But, its water proof, and fits my trolley.

I use mine on Motocaddy trolley and with the umbrella I leave the toggle strap loose so I can hook the umbrella round the back of the top support so can be accessed easily once the top elastic strap is done up.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
got the waterproof cart and carry bag from Sun Mountain. Faultless.

Sun Mountain do a cart bag with a drinks pocket, but it is more expensive still...

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the Big Max Silencio Aqua. Lots of pockets, huge cooler pocket. All round pretty good. I would prefer an inside the bag umbrella tube like Powakaddy bags used to have and a putter pit, but otherwise it's great. The zips are slightly stiffer on waterproof bags but that's not really an issue.

Mugs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bought a Stewart waterproof bag and it's been fantastic, plenty pockets and space and no issues with quality or anything breaking

Makes life much easier in all weather

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got my first one earlier this year and would now not be without it.

It's the Power Bug trolley model and it's a pure joy only to have to pop on the rain hood when the clouds open and not have to fiddle with a bag cover which only partially works anyway.

Been out in quite a bit of rain and everything stays bone dry. I would not consider buying anything else in future.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
After a particularly wet round a couple years ago i went straight out and bought a Callaway Aquadry cart bag. My old bag never really dried properly as it was soaked through, including contents, and I ended up ditching it. Think the structure of a golf bag makes it hard to dry out effectively.

So yes, I definitely think the (marginal) extra cost is worth it. Had no issues with mine since I upgraded.