Laser features, worth the extra?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True, except I wouldnt use it inside 100 so it is of absolutely no use. However, I know a certain animal on the PGA tour who might be interested in the distance to drizzle, as long as you could calculate the density of said drizzle. Otherwise it would be useless.

I know what you mean the Nikon looks good. I hadn’t seen the Precision @Wabinez looks good but I wonder is it like @harpo_72 says about the Tasco is the build quality cheap? If it’s going to break in a few years I may as well pay double for something that lasts twice as long and has better quality optics no? Or is it better built than that? I took good care of the Bushnell, I don’t drop kick things for giggles but I knew it was a solid unit at the same time.

As for a gun manufacturer sight @Golfnut1957 Im playing behind 3 of the slowest folks in our club tomorrow so you may have just hit upon a very profitable synergy. Let’s talk before going to the Dragons.
I did try the Nikons but I could not hold it stable enough, which is just me but the Bushnell I could. I think there a plethora of good budget lasers and I would not rule them out. I liked the Bushnell and I look after my stuff (those who have bought clubs from me will attest to that) but it’s also about enjoying what you do own.
I think the Tasco would last for years in my hands it just was missing the “I want that” factor.
I looked at the Leupold as well but they are eBay buys or limited stock. So never seen one in the flesh.
I think you need to hold a few and try them make up your mind on what are key characteristics you want and base your decision on that.

gopher99

Visit site
I have just bought the tour v5 shift, and for me personally it works well. I had the v4 for almost 5 years until it stopped working i was offered a good discount to buy the new v5 and it does what it says on the tin. I guess you are going to have to try various brands out and make a choice on what suits your eye.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True, except I wouldnt use it inside 100 so it is of absolutely no use. However, I know a certain animal on the PGA tour who might be interested in the distance to drizzle, as long as you could calculate the density of said drizzle. Otherwise it would be useless.

I know what you mean the Nikon looks good. I hadn’t seen the Precision @Wabinez looks good but I wonder is it like @harpo_72 says about the Tasco is the build quality cheap? If it’s going to break in a few years I may as well pay double for something that lasts twice as long and has better quality optics no? Or is it better built than that? I took good care of the Bushnell, I don’t drop kick things for giggles but I knew it was a solid unit at the same time.

As for a gun manufacturer sight @Golfnut1957 Im playing behind 3 of the slowest folks in our club tomorrow so you may have just hit upon a very profitable synergy. Let’s talk before going to the Dragons.

used my precision pro for the first time today and flawless. It’s light, but seems really well built.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why would you not use it under 100yds I find that’s the best use of them.
We can all hit the yardages if you practice enough.
I use mine all the time down to 60yds that’s a full Lob Wedge for me.
But hitting 200yds is not so accurate even if you know the yardage.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The questions about slope (or plays like) are simple

Can you use it in a comp? No
Can you use it if you are putting in a General Play round? - No
If you are playing in a swindle will the others be happy that you are using it? Probably not
If you are playing with your mates for money/drink will they be happy you are using it? Probably not

So when will you actually use it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have both a GPS and a laser. My laser is very basic just pin seeking.

The laser came out once today and the GPS used 3 times. We have 150 yard and 100 yard markers and in the main I find these suffice but I have played this course for over 30 years and know my clubs from different trees bunker etc.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
The questions about slope (or plays like) are simple

Can you use it in a comp? No
Can you use it if you are putting in a General Play round? - No
If you are playing in a swindle will the others be happy that you are using it? Probably not
If you are playing with your mates for money/drink will they be happy you are using it? Probably not

So when will you actually use it?
Out of interest, whats wrong with using it for the last 2 scenarios? My understanding (happy to be corrected) would be its perfectly legal and why should playing partners care? As for putting in the 2nd scenario, would any rangefinder be useful?
Of course I say this without having ever owned a rangefinder anyways :)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would you not use it under 100yds I find that’s the best use of them.
We can all hit the yardages if you practice enough.
I use mine all the time down to 60yds that’s a full Lob Wedge for me.
But hitting 200yds is not so accurate even if you know the yardage.

Not sure why, guess I just go more on feel when I use my 54*, which is anything 100 and under. Defo wouldnt use one from 60 yards prefer to just visualise the landing spot and don’t think of it in terms of numbers. Maybe something I’ll change as I search for improvement but almost no time to practice at the moment with work so all of that’s on the back burner. Just working with what I’ve got!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, whats wrong with using it for the last 2 scenarios? My understanding (happy to be corrected) would be its perfectly legal and why should playing partners care? As for putting in the 2nd scenario, would any rangefinder be useful?
Of course I say this without having ever owned a rangefinder anyways :)
Even in a swindle and with your mates your still supposed to play by the rules of golf.
In a general play round you must play to the rules of golf.
Slope is not allowed.
But many play to their own rules ,gimmies ,etc. You can do what you want if not in a comp.

sunshine

Visit site
Not sure why, guess I just go more on feel when I use my 54*, which is anything 100 and under. Defo wouldnt use one from 60 yards prefer to just visualise the landing spot and don’t think of it in terms of numbers. Maybe something I’ll change as I search for improvement but almost no time to practice at the moment with work so all of that’s on the back burner. Just working with what I’ve got!

I also find the laser most important within 100 yards. There is a big difference between 80 and 90 yards (for example) and I am able to hit different shots to those numbers. When visualising it I’m often as much as 10 yards out. 180 and 190 yes it’s nice to know the difference but I’m not kidding myself I’d just be happy to find the green.

sunshine

Visit site
I've had the Busnell Hybrid, Garmin Z80, Precision Pro, Nissan Coolshot and Golf Buddy lasers. Between them they have had every feature on the planet, most of which were just too finicky and time-consuming to bother with.

I've never found slope to be of any use.

I currently have a Leupold Gx-2i3. Compact, accurate and picks out pins lightning quick. It has "Plays Like" feature which take things like slope, weather? And how far you hit certain clubs to adjust the range and recommend club selection, I've never used it. An extremely useful feature is the Fog mode which enhances its functionality when, surprise, surprise, it is foggy.

Expensive, hard to find, but I can't recommend it enough.

Why do you have so many different lasers? A different one for each country where you own a house? Or maybe you keep your clubs in a locker and you are a member at half a dozen clubs?

sunshine

Visit site
My mate has a bushnell with slope and I used it once for a casual round. The slope adjustment told me that what I been doing for years is absolutely fine. Any shot that is obviously uphill or downhill is 1 club more/less. Slightly uphill/downhill half a club. I wasn’t playing in the Himalayas so no shots with 2-3 clubs slope.

Using slope is cheating, I don’t see the point in buying functionality that I would only use for practice rounds on my own.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've got one with slope, used it twice, once at nairn, which only has one real change in elevation and once at the kings which has a few. Not used it since, can't be used in comps so was a waste for me. Could be useful if you play a lot of different course s not in comps

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:)

Simple

Scenario 3 it is a competition albeit one not run by the club

Scenario 4 The question is simple will your mates be happy with you not following the rules of golf fully and gaining an advantage by using the slope function on a laser.

Putting as in golf, putting as in to put in same words different meaning. My meaning is the latter.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also find the laser most important within 100 yards. There is a big difference between 80 and 90 yards (for example) and I am able to hit different shots to those numbers. When visualising it I’m often as much as 10 yards out. 180 and 190 yes it’s nice to know the difference but I’m not kidding myself I’d just be happy to find the green.

Several holes at my course either aren’t mapped properly by the GPS, have blind approaches so you can’t see the pin (could be 20 yards in the difference between a front yellow flag and a back yellow flag - but you can’t see from the fairway) or you approach from such a wide angle that the front-middle-back of the watch aren’t relevant (the front of the green isn’t a useful measurement if you’re coming in from the side). It’s those I use it on. I’d say most frequently zapped yardages are in the 120-160 range and that affects my club choice. Everyone’s different and I don’t zap 80 or 90 yards, I’m more of a feel player from that range.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Why do you have so many different lasers? A different one for each country where you own a house? Or maybe you keep your clubs in a locker and you are a member at half a dozen clubs?
Second word, first sentence.....had. It makes a difference.

Why? Because I'm dumb. One country, One house, one car, one club, one locker.

If you think that is strange (or unbelievable) you want to see the list of clubs I have owned in the recent past. I currently have almost a full set of clubs on Ebay , and I'm about to add a second set of irons and two wedges and buy yet more.

Am I rich? No. Can I afford it? No. Is it good for the handicap? No. Is it anybody else's business? No.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice Bushnell on Hotgolf email with 6 spare batteries and 5% off coupon.
I have used them loads of times great company.
Just Google Hotgolf.