Large mallet putters

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello everyone. Im on the look out for a new putter. The scotty is playing up massivly and is costing me at least 4 shots around due to its very unforgiving nature. I know as a 28 handicapper practice(and a v-easy) is the way forward but I would still like a more forgiving putter with a little more help with alignment. I had a white hot xg #7 before which I liked but i'm after something different. I'm happy either with new or secondhand and budget is upto £150. What would you guys recommend I give a test run?

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got an Odyssey Sabretooth at the moment, but really like the look of the new Mizuno range, particularly the Line 90 Krakatoa. Milled face, heavy weight for a pendulum type action and 'fangs' for stability/optimum weight distribution.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really quite like the Scotty Kombi-S I was messing about with recently.

Not sure how much they are but probably more than £150.

Other obvious one for alignment is a 2-ball?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you're changing from a milled face Scotty I would make sure you know what you are getting if you buy a putter with an insert.

Last yr I went from my Scotty to an Odyssey Sabretooth, great putter, easy to align and deadly inside 10 ft but outside that range I had no feel or control from what to me felt like a springy insert (supposedly one of the softer ones).

I have been trying to find a middle of the road solution to the feel of the Scotty (especially from distance) and the alignment and short range capabilities of a high moi mallet style putter.

At the moment the best I can find is a Scotty Kombi, still has the milled face but is traditional mallet shaped, have only been gaming it for the winter but am very happy with it and definitely worth trying (though not always easy to source)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You'll not go far wrong with a 2-ball
Some of the Pings have wierd and wacky shapes but they work so may be worth a look
Rife do some nice ones too. The Barbados has a nice look to it.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
TM Spider ghost.

If its big you want, they dont come much bigger. Like swinging a Star Wars spaceship.

I have the TM Corza Ghost. It has three alignment lines and the hole cut in the mallet to make aiming a doddle. Good weight, firm insert and in your budget too Stu. Definitely worth trying.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Spider Ghost is a great putter. If you can find one, when the Spider first came out they did an Itsy version which had a 15% smaller head which didn't look quite so unwieldly. A two ball putter is another reliable model. I've not tried the Sabretooth on the course but it goes well when I've putted in the shop (don't they all?).

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks everyone, some food for thought. Homer check my sig I had them shortlisted lol. The itsy bitsy spider and 2ball Vline are on my list. Im watching 4 different itsys on ebay at the moment the only problem would be it would be a blind purchase.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A bit off topic here but does anyone use a two thumb grip with a large mallet?. Its another idea of mine to maybe help with a more consistent stroke.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You'll not go far wrong with a 2-ball
Some of the Pings have wierd and wacky shapes but they work so may be worth a look
Rife do some nice ones too. The Barbados has a nice look to it.

I've just got an abaco which is similar to the del mar with more feel, it will not be leaving my back for along time, ag have deals in store I'm all rifes at the moment