Lake District/ Scottish Borders courses

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
One of the guys in our fuddle has asked us re nice courses around this area. Asking the lads in our fuddle this question is like asking a four year old what his favourite toe is.
I have read on here that Silloth is a good track.Any other suggestions please.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Silloth was stunning when we were there a few weeks back.

Also had a mate play Windermere recently - he really enjoyed it, not a long course and noted that he didn't hit driver very often, but said it was worth a visit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hirsel. Great course.
I'm playing there in an open next Wednesday, I love it. I smile every time I play there.

@Tashyboy , I'll throw in with The Hirsel, The Roxburghe (serious quality) and also Duns. Duns is a 'not quite as good as The Hirsel' but similar. If you are doing 3 days, that would be the weaker one but not a let down. Hope that makes sense. All within easy distance of each other.

Zig

Visit site
Only my opinion: Silloth is the standout/must play.
Brampton, just outside Carlisle on A69 is the best inland course in the area. Loads of fun/quirky holes. Total contrast to Silloth.
If you're headed further north, Southerness is a proper links test.

All three would be a blast!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only my opinion: Silloth is the standout/must play.
Brampton, just outside Carlisle on A69 is the best inland course in the area. Loads of fun/quirky holes. Total contrast to Silloth.
If you're headed further north, Southerness is a proper links test.

All three would be a blast!
How many golf balls would be required? I don't know about Brampton but everything I've seen and heard about the other 2, fill the boot 😄

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How many golf balls would be required? I don't know about Brampton but everything I've seen and heard about the other 2, fill the boot 😄

When Jamie played there back in June, we had one guy up the fairway spotting for the lads. The youth had one go right down 17 - we could see it bounce about 3 times - and the spotter walked straight over to where it should have been - but it took all of the 3 minutes of 4 of us searching for it to spot it, no more than 3 yards off the fairway and in the 'light' rough.

If you get in the thick stuff, forget it.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've said this before, but if you are going to the Borders don't drive past Hawick. Brilliant.

You spend 16 holes winding your way around and up the hill and then come down in two.

As LT says, The Hirsel is a great course, and Eyemouth. The cliff top hole are spectacular.

mister v

Visit site
i played siloth yesterday in awful rain and wind but still came off with a smile on my face although completley soaked, superb track and a must play on your list , Powfoot is very good , southerness was fantastic and we had amazing weather for that.
a good tip is if the forecast shows 100% chance of heavy rain stay in the bar....

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
i played siloth yesterday in awful rain and wind but still came off with a smile on my face although completley soaked, superb track and a must play on your list , Powfoot is very good , southerness was fantastic and we had amazing weather for that.
a good tip is if the forecast shows 100% chance of heavy rain stay in the bar....
Was it a smile or a grimace 😖😁👍

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I'll throw in with The Hirsel, The Roxburghe (serious quality) and also Duns. Duns is a 'not quite as good as The Hirsel' but similar. If you are doing 3 days, that would be the weaker one but not a let down. Hope that makes sense. All within easy distance of each other.

Making notes, looks like a cracking weekend away with the lads. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Making notes, looks like a cracking weekend away with the lads. (y)
I did that last year, had a really good time. I'm also lucky enough to be only 60-70minutes from those courses so also play them individually in opens, for fun etc.

Have a look at the geography and if you can fit in Eyemouth then Hirsel, Roxburghe and Eyemouth would make a cracking trio as well. If Eyemouth is too far across from the others, throw in Duns, or a n other. One tip for the Roxburghe, if you get a tee time after 2pm, might be 3pm, then the fee drops by quite a chunk.