Military slap up nosh.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not sure what the title should of been, but the military thread has got me thinking.

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day. Being the Branch treasurer of the local RBL Branch we have a memorial service tomorrow. Anyway, next year is the 100th anniversary of the RBL. As per the last 5 years we have had a summer ball. Except for this year. The plan for next year is Big. Tomorrow is probably the one time that all the summer ball committee will be at the same place for a month or two.
Anyway at the summer ball we have a choice of menu. Normally it’s what the chef would suggest.
But would there be any military summer ball meals that could be used for our summer Ball. EG, am thinking beef Wellington. Thoughts on that please. I know a Piper who served in the “Woofers” and is more than happy to play the pipes for us for on the night but he also said he can Address the haggis. So would Tatties, neeps and Haggis fit in. We have a fair old few Jocks turn up so am sure they would hammer it but would it a a Scots summer ball military theme. Re the ladies, most go for chicken so any ideas would be great.
The guy who’s ear am gonna bend tomorrow is Scottish ( vice chair of branch ) who is on summer ball committee. Am sure a few seeds will be sown. But a few ideas would help me for tomorrow.
Chairman of the branch who is bro In law has banged on about “ eggy bread” in the past. I would love to have Him some served on the night. What ever eggy bread is.
Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciate.

D

Deleted member 16999

Try doing Courses by Nationality, ie:

Wales - 1st Course - Leek Soup

Scotland - 2nd Course - Haggis or Smoked Salmon

England - 3rd Course - Beef Wellington

Ireland - 4th Course - Irish Coffee

Commonwealth - 5th Course - Dessert

You could mix it around and cover all those who have served.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Try doing Courses by Nationality, ie:

Wales - 1st Course - Leek Soup

Scotland - 2nd Course - Haggis or Smoked Salmon

England - 3rd Course - Beef Wellington

Ireland - 4th Course - Irish Coffee

Commonwealth - 5th Course - Dessert

You could mix it around and cover all those who have served.

now there is thought,

what’s cheesy eggy bread. Ave a feeling he mentioned bread fried in egg and cheese on top ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club chef is an ex-army chef. His food is brilliant (and the portions...?) and he certainly knows how to deliver a 3-4 course meal for over a 100 diners.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club chef is an ex-army chef. His food is brilliant (and the portions...?) and he certainly knows how to deliver a 3-4 course meal for over a 100 diners.

It’s a Good job he ain’t an ex Royal Navy cook.

The training course is renowned as being the hardest in all the armed forces.

Mainly judging by the fact that no buggers ever passed it....

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a Good job he ain’t an ex Royal Navy cook.

The training course is renowned as being the hardest in all the armed forces.

Mainly judging by the fact that no buggers ever passed it....
Did the training catering schools ever merge ? I know the RAF were in Aldershot with the Army. The military chefs always far better than Sodex and it was always good going on exercise or det and MCSU were there doing the food

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did the training catering schools ever merge ? I know the RAF were in Aldershot with the Army. The military chefs always far better than Sodex and it was always good going on exercise or det and MCSU were there doing the food

Not sure tbh Phil. Food onboard was shocking because of the quality of ingredients. Big boxes of frozen meat etc stamped with ‘RN spec’ ?

I can assure you the RN Spec was not a sign of quality ?

Think the allowance per man was 3.50 a day for all three meals and victuals etc.

Don’t know if it’s true but I believe residents at HMP establishments get about 5 quid

Police dogs budget in comparison is about 8 quid a day ?

Food ashore in establishments was rank to and that stung as you you had to pay for it during my last few years.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you ask him for a few ideas when you see him next ?
Well he’s twice done a Scottish 3 course menu for a 90 person Burns Supper I’ve hosted at the club..haggis, neeps and tatties starter; full roast beef main course; cranachan or tipsie laird dessert. Top stuff. Dancing it off wasn’t that easy ?