Ladies flex shafts..for beginner golfer(male)?

toby2111

Visit site
I'm a high handicapper,dont have a GUI handicap,just play in a golf society 6 or 7 times a year and also get out a few times over the summer.Hoping to play a bit more and improve,got a decent set of second hand irons and looking to get a set of woods.Saw a nice set(3 and 5 wood) on the net for a good price but they have ladies flex shafts.I hear regular shafts suit a novice like me better?Would they be worth a punt?Or would I be laughed off the course??!!Do shafts make a major difference?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shafts do make a major difference. Ladies shafts are essentially lighter and whippier (and probably shorter) then men's flexes, and would be suitable if your swing speed was very slow. It is not really related to whether you are a beginner or not.

Ask a local pro to take a quick look at your swing and recommend something cheap/second hand. A half set will do to begin with.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well if it's not a sneaky advert for some clubs, I'd go with Ethans advice.

You can estimate your swing speed with woods if you don't have access to a monitor. How far do you carry your 3 wood? 100-120y approx 60-65 mph 140-160-y approx 70-75, 190-205 approx 85-90, 230-237 100-105mph.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend Ladies flex, or even Senior for that matter.

I played 5 rounds in 1998 with a set of Ladies irons inadvertently. I hit them well but the distances were v.v.short.

I also tried Senior flex on a launch monitor trying out Mizuno drivers.

I'm no expert on anything, but my experience with soft flex stuff would suggest you'd need an incredibly slow swing to benefit from anything "under" Men's regular flex. Regular covers a wide range.....