KO Matchplay played off Yellow instead White Tees

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure but I think they just went to the Yellows & decided to use them rather that the Whites which are the required tee for the Club matchplay.
Does it need to be replayed?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure but I think they just went to the Yellows & decided to use them rather that the Whites which are the required tee for the Club matchplay.
Not sure. But think that if both parties were of same opinion (ie it was off yellow), then am reasonably sure the result stands as played.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Assuming that they thought the comp was off the yellows, both players had the opportunity to recall their opponents shots when they played from the wrong tee, on every hole.

They didn't, through ignorance rather than choice, so the tee shots were in play and I'd say the result stands.

But if they did played from the yellows through agreement then they're circumventing the competition rules and I'd say should be disqualified.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Surely if the Whites are the required tee they haven’t complied with the terms of the competition. Committee should decide if it’s a DQ or replay. To accept the result, regardless of intent or ignorance, would imply that players could choose which tees to play from with no repercussions.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely if the Whites are the required tee they haven’t complied with the terms of the competition. Committee should decide if it’s a DQ or replay. To accept the result, regardless of intent or ignorance, would imply that players could choose which tees to play from with no repercussions.

This. Rules say white tees. Should be a DQ in my opinion.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The key bit is that they intended to use the incorrect tees rather than the correct allocated tees for that comp.

As bot chose to ignore the terms - I see that as a joint DQ and the person they should be playing jn the following round should get a walk through.

But rarely do the golf rules appear that simple.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well since there's no penalty for playing from a wrong tee in matchplay, there's only an option for the opponent to cancel that stroke (player retakes the shot)

Therefore, as said, it comes down to whether the comp stipulated selected tee is 'just' a condition of completion or if it also constitutes as a rule. Plus was there an agreement to waive this rule (both DQ'd) or simply wrong tee used in ignorance (result stands)

That's my take on it anyway

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As I read, it also matters if the result of the match has already been officially recorded/reported as per terms of comp. (before this wrong tee issue came to light)
If so I believe the result is now Final (and presumably stands)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see nothing in the rules that says not having read them is a DQ🤣

» If two or more players agree to ignore any Rule or penalty they know applies
and any of those players have started the round, they are disqualified (even
if they have not yet acted on the agreement).

Applying your logic if I have never read any of the Rules of Golf I cannot be penalised for infringing them.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Is ignoring one of the Terms of Competition the same as ignoring one of the Rules of Golf? The latter is a breach of 1.3, but I don't know about the former. Is it the same?

Assuming that 1.3 applies to ToC... 1.3b(1)/2 says that there is no penalty if the players agree to waive a rule that they're not aware of. If neither of them knew it was supposed to played off the whites, then they haven't broken 1.3.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
As it’s a matchplay event between two players does it reallt matter ?

They could have gone to the putting green and had a putt off for the result or gone to the nearest chipping green and had a chip off or tossed a coin , pulled straws , rock paper scissors- the only affect is the result between the two

We have had it before and allowed the result to stand providing both players were ok with it

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
As it’s a matchplay event between two players does it reallt matter ?

They could have gone to the putting green and had a putt off for the result or gone to the nearest chipping green and had a chip off or tossed a coin , pulled straws , rock paper scissors- the only affect is the result between the two

We have had it before and allowed the result to stand providing both players were ok with it
In the greater scheme of things, of course it doesn’t matter.
Would you say the same thing if it was the final round?
Hey, why bother stating it’s a competition to be played from the white tees if players can chose how they want to decide the match, red tees, yellow tees, putt off, toss a coin, who cares ?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
In the greater scheme of things, of course it doesn’t matter.
Would you say the same thing if it was the final round?
Hey, why bother stating it’s a competition to be played from the white tees if players can chose how they want to decide the match, red tees, yellow tees, putt off, toss a coin, who cares ?

That’s exactly what’s happened with a final in the past , someone had a putt off

Same with semi finals etc

It happens