Keeping it simple as a kid

Oceanwave

Visit site
My father was an excellent golfer, consistently shooting between 76 - 80. He had a beautiful swing. As a child, he kept it so simple for me. He didn't bog me down with too much information or technique.

Keep your head down, get the grip correct and don't lift the club head right away. One month we concentrated on sand traps and nothing else. That was a blast! One month we worked on putting and he made it into a fun game.

Here's a photo of my Dad with me in my cowboy outfit. He would always say, come outside and watch me swing the club and not say much else. It was all visualization technique.

Today, I still go through the simple steps he taught me; swing, sand trap and putting.

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_0001.jpg
    IMG_20231229_0001.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a lovely first post. I first started playing with my dad as well, when I was around 14, but he was useless at golf and still is. 😂 I love playing a round with him though, they are some of my favourite rounds. Whatever course it happens to be on doesn't matter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My dad took me for a series of lessons as a kid in the summer holidays so I was taught the basics at the start and he would just cast an eye over my grip and posture etc if I was struggling. If they were good he actually let me figure it out for myself and only helped or got the pro to look at me if I couldn't figure it. Gave me ownership of my swing which I still have. Yes it's not textbook but most of the time it's functional