Keep Calm And Don't Panic

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not really sure what the point is of posting this. Partly it might help somebody but mostly because I impressed myself during my last round. Apologies for the self indulgence.

Not because of any good/great shots or the score, but I think I may have finally lost my damaging attitude of 'needing' to make things happen on the course.

I took half a day off on Tuesday to play in a midweek medal. Very hot - and I don't like it hot - so even more excuses to have lost my head, but I didn't.

+2 gross after 13 holes. A 2-ball had just caught us up (4-ball) so we teed off on 14 while they walked to the tee then let them play through, meaning I had a long time to think about my 2nd shot.
I'd pushed my tee shot into the right semi rough. The lie was fine, about 130 to go, but a 12' tree bang on my line about 10' in front of me.

I think I could have gotten over, but not with enough club to reach the green. The alternative was a low running draw (draw because of a bunker front right of the green). There was another small tree just to the right of the one in front of me but another 20' further on, giving me an effective gap of about 3' to go through.

As I said above, I had a long time to think about it. I really wanted to go over but because it was a medal I'm thinking "what if it hits the top of the tree and goes in the thick rough?", so I decided on the low one.

The ball hit the right hand tree almost full on the 1" wide trunk and ricocheted off to the right into the nasty stuff. A thick bushy tree meant I'd have to crouch more than normal to get at the ball and lots of long grass around it.

The old me would have thought I've already wasted one shot putting it here, so I've got to get this out as far as I can, but for some reason - even in the heat after 3 hours - I decided discretion was the better part of valour and took a penalty drop even though it meant having a tree in the way again, albeit a bit further away.

Even then the old me would have tried to go straight at the flag over the tree because I've already wasted 2 shots, but I gave the tree a bit of a wide berth, hit the right side of the green and 2 putted.

Throughout all of that I was purposely not trying to count up my shots just so I could concentrate on getting the ball in the hole as quick as I could, so after what seemed like ages and loads of trouble playing the hole I was pleasantly surprised when I totted up and realised it was only a double.
Now I know double isn't good, but I was genuinely happy at that, even though I'd gone from 2 under hc to level in one hole, at least I was still in the competition.

There's no happy ending to the story because I managed to make double up the last to shoot 77 and avoid a cut by finishing bang on handicap, but I think all the Rotella-reading has paid off by a much improved mental game over the last couple of years.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good job R3, I've been reading "Going Low" by Patrick Cohn over the last few days and while it isn't rocket science, one of the points it makes is to stay in the "now" and to give every shot your full and undivided attention without thinking about your score. It's one of the things I am going to try to do and sounds like you have it nailed :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can think too much!

Isn't that the point though?

You weigh up all the options and decide on the best shot?

I've not always been able to think objectively and disregard how many shots I've already taken. That is a step forward imo.

Now if you'd said I write too much I'd have agreed with you! :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good job R3, I've been reading "Going Low" by Patrick Cohn over the last few days and while it isn't rocket science, one of the points it makes is to stay in the "now" and to give every shot your full and undivided attention without thinking about your score. It's one of the things I am going to try to do and sounds like you have it nailed :thup:

Don't get me wrong, I still think about my score on my way round and I don't think it hurts me as I'm still able to focus on my shots. On that one hole though it definitely helped me think rationally to temporarily ignore the damage it was doing to my round.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But you might have made the shot over the tree, avoided the double and then gone on to win - who knows!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I still think about my score on my way round and I don't think it hurts me as I'm still able to focus on my shots. On that one hole though it definitely helped me think rationally to temporarily ignore the damage it was doing to my round.

Thinking about your score is fine, it just trying to separate the shot in hand from the score itself. I often find myself standing over a shot and thinking, "I could make birdie here" or "If I make par here and birdie on the next I can shoot X" when I should be thinking about what I need to do with the particular shot in hand. For instance, last week when I stuffed my 9i into the bunker from the middle of the fairway I know I was thinking about making birdie and then another on the next hole. I should have been thinking about hitting my 9i onto the green but I had got complacent and started thinking about the score not the shot.

Hope that makes sense?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thinking about your score is fine, it just trying to separate the shot in hand from the score itself. I often find myself standing over a shot and thinking, "I could make birdie here" or "If I make par here and birdie on the next I can shoot X" when I should be thinking about what I need to do with the particular shot in hand. For instance, last week when I stuffed my 9i into the bunker from the middle of the fairway I know I was thinking about making birdie and then another on the next hole. I should have been thinking about hitting my 9i onto the green but I had got complacent and started thinking about the score not the shot.

Hope that makes sense?

Perfickly. When I read people saying you shouldn't think about your score at all I disagree.

What you've described is spot on imo.

I think about how I'm doing pretty much all the way round, but I never stand over the ball with thoughts of making a particular score in this or any hole.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I play rubbish golf, course management (shot selection) is pretty much the only reason why I can knock it round in a moderate score at all. Shot 37pts in one round at Gainsborough with probably the worst driving/irons/putting display I've had all year.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like the low running draw was the risky shot in the first place. Why not smash a wedge up over the tree, short, and have a chip and a putt for par.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not worried about whether or not I made the right choice to start with, you may well be right.
The 'moral' - if there is one, is to not chase a score or follow a bad shot with another one (although I did if you count a penalty drop as a shot!).

For what it's worth, I decided against the high shot because a slight miss-hit or a groove or 2 thin would see the ball in the tree.

I guess it was only a turn of phrase, but in a medal I'll never 'smash' any club. T'is the road to 0.1

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was there not an option 3? Take your medicine, low shot out past the tree to the middle of the fairway for a nice clean approach in instead of the 2 risky options of up and over or draw around? Or is that just a wimps approach? :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was there not an option 3? Take your medicine, low shot out past the tree to the middle of the fairway for a nice clean approach in instead of the 2 risky options of up and over or draw around? Or is that just a wimps approach? :)

Yes, could have played out sideways-ish and left myself about 100yds for my third.

As I said above, I'm not questioning my choice of shot. It might not have been the right one, but I weighed up the options and picked what I thought at the time was the best one for me. That's all we can do.

It's ok to take a chance imo if you've thought about it and can accept it if things go wrong.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As long as you are happy with the thought process then that's the important thing. Execution is a separate issue but as long as you made a thought out decision and didn't just grab a club and hit it then I think you did the right thing. I am slowly learning that the most important tool I have at my disposal is the grey matter. I am trying to think better and more "in the moment". Not easy