Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In a secular society religious beliefs should not determine political policy, however I might suggest that policy can reasonably be reviewed, assessed and commented upon by those of faith in the context of the main precepts that they hold. But the way some religious interpretations are used in the USA to drive and determine policy is frankly unconscionable. Fortunately most of faith in the UK consider such interpretations extreme and irrelevant today - if they were indeed actually ever relevant.

I knew there had to be a ''however''
I will NOT live my life according to policies reviewed, assessed and commented on based on someone else's faith. And the arrogance of these people who have decided their religion is the right religion is astonishing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I knew there had to be a ''however''
I will NOT live my life according to policies reviewed, assessed and commented on based on someone else's faith. And the arrogance of these people who have decided their religion is the right religion is astonishing.
…and as one of faith I absolutely have the right to review, assess and comment upon any policy.

Just in case I have been misunderstood, I will repeat…I would not expect the views of those of faith to determine policy, but can reasonably expect them to form part of the context in which the policy is formed. That part can be dismissed if the policymaker so decides, but I feel it shouldn’t simply be ignored. Not saying anything more than that.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You are absolutely correct, and that is why I have never tried to tell him how he should live his life.
Unless you know different?
People can believe whatever they want, I only object when they try and force their rules and beliefs on me.
"Force". Who's forcing anything on you? Read it or ignore it, it's your choice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
"Force". Who's forcing anything on you? Read it or ignore it, it's your choice.
I think you are missing his point. @bobmac is not complaining about SILH posing his views, as per his reply to you. It is religious leaders being in the HoL, having the ear of politicians, that is the issue. Why should they have that influence? That is my reading of his posts (apologies if I have this wrong Bob but I thought it might clarify and stop the back and forth)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
…and as one of faith I absolutely have the right to review, assess and comment upon any policy.

Just in case I have been misunderstood, I will repeat…I would not expect the views of those of faith to determine policy, but can reasonably expect them to form part of the context in which the policy is formed. That part can be dismissed if the policymaker so decides, but I feel it shouldn’t simply be ignored. Not saying anything more than that.
You have the right to review, asses and comment upon any policy, as a human being, your faith has nothing to do with it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you are missing his point. @bobmac is not complaining about SILH posing his views, as per his reply to you. It is religious leaders being in the HoL, having the ear of politicians, that is the issue. Why should they have that influence? That is my reading of his posts (apologies if I have this wrong Bob but I thought it might clarify and stop the back and forth)
I disagree. He didn't mention anything about religious leaders, he said when 'People' try and force their rules and beliefs on him.

Anyhow, I would like to discuss the way our rule makers are or aren't representative of individual beliefs but that would stray into politics, so I won't.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I disagree. He didn't mention anything about religious leaders, he said when 'People' try and force their rules and beliefs on him.

''People'' meaning those who knock at my door and try save my soul, or those who stand on the high street and do the same or those who we were actually talking about who try and influence lawmakers to make laws based on something they believe in from a book written 2000 years ago.
SILH has not done any of those things and I certainly haven't tried to tell him how he should live his life.
But then you knew all that, it just didn't suit your argument.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
What's off topic about it ? The topic in the op was very much guided by the religious beliefs of US law makers and conservative Christian groups.

It’s the to-ing and frow-ing about whose opinion is correct that is the problem and something that many people have said is one of the main problems on the forum.
so stamping down on it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What's off topic about it ? The topic in the op was very much guided by the religious beliefs of US law makers and conservative Christian groups.
And fortunately, for the most part in the UK and unlike the USA, we do not have many, if any, actual policy making individuals bringing extreme religious beliefs and biases to the table where policy is made - largely I am sure because they do not have significant sections of their voters holding such beliefs. Again this is so unlike many US states and districts.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having just read the news about the shooting of the teacher by a pupil in America, I googled the type of gun that was used. I was expecting to see a tiny 1 shot thing. But no, it is a standard size 9mm automatic pistol that you can buy for $250. Crazy that it is half the price of a new golf driver. ? After googling it I’m now expecting the police to turn up at my house in the next 10 minutes.