Just getting started

njmathers

Visit site
So as the title suggests, I'm just getting started in the wonderful world of golf. This forum has been an amazing source of information for a beginner like myself but there's one place I feel a little overwhelmed....choosing my first set of clubs.

I know there's a couple of topics on here similar, but I still somehow feel none the wiser.

From what I can gather, second hand is the best route for me to go down as I don't have a limitless budget...I'd probably like to stick under £200 for a set of irons to get me started and build from there. Plan to get out and hit some balls at least a couple of times a week.

I'm not sure if this changes anything...but I'm a tad under 6'3". Would it be best to stick with a standard length while I'm still leaning the basics?

Currently living in Chesterfield, but spend a lot of time in Nottingham/Derby also. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a good set of starter clubs, or good places to look in my area then I'd be more than grateful :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. My advice would be to start with a chat with a PGA professional at a driving range or club you use. For some tall players, the way they swing means they definitely need a longer shaft but others can make do with standard club. Club wise, I'd go for something forgiving like a Ping or Callaway and go for a large cavity back so something like a G25 or Big Bertha. Somewhere like Golfbidder will have a massive choice and there should be something there for your budget. I hope you find something you like and can use and that you enjoy getting into this great game

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would visit all the pro shops near you and speak to the pros and tell them your situation.
Some will be more helpful than others.

They will probably all have second hand sets you can try and or buy and maybe get a lesson to get you started down the right road.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wouldn't get fitted at AG if I got them for free.

At 6.3 my advice would be don't get a set off the rack, it won't benefit your game in my opinion but then again that depends on your targets and I don't mean GIR's.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi there,

I was in your position last year, and to answer the clubs problem I went on Ebay, bid £30 on each set of complete yet basic set of clubs and eventually won a full set of dunlops with a bag (which i just got rid of). For me i was happier to spend a few quid on something disposable, see how i liked it and then prepare to shell out more later.

On club length I not that long ago read a GM article on club length (http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/length-golf-clubs-use-114510).

EDIT: meant to add as well, even a new set of dunlops / similar would be in the price park you're looking at if the price is more important than the performance.

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally wouldn't get a fitting at ag either, but at £200 your not going to get much, irons decent used set will be around £150+ woods same, putter and bag will be well over £200 and getting fitt as a beginner is pointless as your swning ect will change as you play more, he just needs somthing to get him on the course and playing without breaking the bank, being 6.3 and playing a standard length loft and lie is comoon,

njmathers

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all your help! It’s really appreciated.

My post was maybe a bit confusing. The £200 price point was where I’m willing to go for a set of irons. And then fill out from there. Not £200 for the entire set.

I figured that would get me a set of irons that would last me a couple of years good use before I needed to change. Maybe I’m wrong?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At 6.3 I would not be buying standard of the rack. Even as a beginner it may force you into bad habits to start - such as forcing you to try and find a swing that works with clubs too short for you.

Start with Pings online fitting. Its free and reasonably accurate. You will find from that whether you need clubs a little long or more upright. Then take that information and find clubs with that set up on ebay through their search. Always buy decent 2nd hand from Ebay - value for money. Besides if the Ping fitting does come out different to standard you will have less competition for sets selling as very few people will be wanting that very set up (most on ebay buy standard).

You cannot go wrong with any Ping G range of irons - G10/15/25/30 etc

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Even being 6'3", there's a possibility that standard length clubs may work for you.
You need to know your wrist to floor measurement.
If you're tall but have longish arms then you might not need any extra on the shafts..
The Ping charts will show you..

njmathers

Visit site
Just gave myself a quick measurement. Wrist to floor was 36"...give or take 1/4" either side I'd say.

Those details on the ping online fitter suggest +0.5"

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm 5.10 wrist to floor is 35' and I'm standard length
Like to add I bouggt the Wilson shaff c200 irons 4pw brand new £249 they were just reduced from £549 early this year, great set of irons,

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go to AG or any other shop which has a driving range (I’m lucky that my AG has one), and try a few different sets. AG has a good mixture of latest clubs and also some older stuff and then some second hand from trade ins.

That should hopefully satisfy you that there’s not much difference between old and new!

Then, if you find something there that you’re comfortable with in your price range, go for it. If not, remember which ones you like and get on eBay and buy the model from a couple of years ago. Manufacturers tend to evolve their clubs rather than make wholesale design changes.

One thing to watch out for is whether the clubs you try out have the same shaft as the clubs on eBay, that can dramatically alter the feel.

Finally, if buying second hand, keep £50 back to get the clubs regripped. That’s probably the most important thing I think. If the clubs you use as a beginner have slippery old grips it will encourage you to grip too tight which is not a good habit to get into.

It won’t be hard to find a set you like, just try a few and take it from there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know where you are based but near me there is an American Golf Outlet branch - this means they have a huge stock of second hand gear, and as there's a driving range, you can try absolutely anything out on there before you buy, which has been a God-send for me. Most of my bag is stuff I got from there. So if you can find somewhere like that that lets you try second hand gear before buying, that would be really handy.

I find Golfbidder useful - I've not actually bought from there, but I like the fact that for all their iron sets they have a rating for what handicap range it is suited to - so if the full bar up to 28 is filled you know they will be very forgiving. I've used that before as a gauge towards the more forgiving clubs to buy, which is what you'll be after as a new player.

Last edited:

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
Just gave myself a quick measurement. Wrist to floor was 36"...give or take 1/4" either side I'd say.

Those details on the ping online fitter suggest +0.5"

If you look on Ebay you can search for Iron sets specifically with + 1/2 inch or +0.5 and they will show you irons that have those additional lengths, as there are less people looking for custom irons, you can usually pick up a decent set for a reasonable Price, I picked up a set of wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Irons which were 1/2 inch longer for £140 and they were in great condition.

Alternatively you can pick up a standard set and any decent pro shop or golf range can stick in 1/2 inch shaft extender underneath the grips for a reasonable price (I had this done on my wedges). If they use the compressed air system there is no need for them to damage the original grips (saving you haveing to buy new ones if they are in good condition.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Often when you need an extended shaft length your lie needs a little adjustment to. say 1/2 degrees up.

I am 6.3 also, 36.5 wrist to floor (from memory...may be wrong) and I am plus 1, 3 degrees up in lie. When Ping said you were +0.5 did they give you a colour code? They always do. For example white dot is 3 degrees up in lie.

I would avoid AG outlet stores. I've been in a few and their prices are crazy....often more than twice what there worth. Stick to golf bidder - more expensive than Ebay but trustworthy and you get what they say.....or my personal choice, Ebay - best value