Just back from Wentworth

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My brother in law and i decided to go to the practise day today rather than tomorrow's Pro-am as it was likely to be less busy and we didn't have to use the park and ride. We didn't leave mid Kent until nearly 12.30 and sailed to Wentworth without so much as touching the brakes. They charged £10 admission where for years the entry was free for non playing days. We walked the course, watched at the range, ate courtesy of the girls at Yum Yums burger wagon and had an equally good drive home!

Can't wait to play tomorrow and try the rhythm that we saw from the various pros. Oh ... I also bumped into my teacher Paul Page walking with his current star pupil Richard Wallis.

By the way, the greens were slow and looked crap!

Enjoy it if your going, it does have a magical feel to me!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My brother in law and i decided to go to the practise day today rather than tomorrow's Pro-am as it was likely to be less busy and we didn't have to use the park and ride. We didn't leave mid Kent until nearly 12.30 and sailed to Wentworth without so much as touching the brakes. They charged £10 admission where for years the entry was free for non playing days. We walked the course, watched at the range, ate courtesy of the girls at Yum Yums burger wagon and had an equally good drive home!

Can't wait to play tomorrow and try the rhythm that we saw from the various pros. Oh ... I also bumped into my teacher Paul Page walking with his current star pupil Richard Wallis.

By the way, the greens were slow and looked crap!

Enjoy it if your going, it does have a magical feel to me!

I was wondering how the greens would be. At Easter they were awful, apparently they had a bit of a moss problem and you could see where parts had been patched up with new grass. I thought at the time they would do well to get them up to scratch for this week, especially with it being cold for so long into the year.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Any interesting faces? No stories of forum yardages? Any duffers/shankers at the range? :p

Saw plenty of decent players, Rory and Luke only played a few holes apparently but that was probably before we arrived. No just an enjoyable mooch round

I was wondering how the greens would be. At Easter they were awful, apparently they had a bit of a moss problem and you could see where parts had been patched up with new grass. I thought at the time they would do well to get them up to scratch for this week, especially with it being cold for so long into the year.

We were told that they were slow, you could clearly see the patches and they were quite a light green colour.

The course looked like it could do with some warm sun, but then most courses could!

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just wondering how easy/difficult is it to get to wentworth from London?

I'd love to try make the trip next year. Travelling from Ireland I presume flying into London would be first step. After that I don't have a clue. Is it accessible using public transport?

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ive played Wentworth a few times and dont rate the greens much at all. They have always been slow and very unpredictable. If you had to pay the astronomic green fee you'd be well p*ssed! I like the course and its great for viewing but a little over rated in my opinion.

You can get to Wentworth quite easy from London airports but Id suggest a hire car or cab rather than rely on public transport however best to get the train. Just Google the nearest station but I think its Virginia Water and a cab from there?

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just wondering how easy/difficult is it to get to wentworth from London?

I'd love to try make the trip next year. Travelling from Ireland I presume flying into London would be first step. After that I don't have a clue. Is it accessible using public transport?

If you fly into Heathrow then Wentworth is about 20 minutes up the road, not very far at all. Taxi probably easiest, or bus then a short train journey to Virginia Water station where I think they have shuttles to the course.