Just about killed me

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I have had 3 Black Widow multi compound drips lying around my study for months from a competition I won. This evening I thought it would be nice to fit them to my two Vokey wedges so that I had all new grips across my irons. I have never re griped a club before but have seen a few posts on here and some youtube vids.

I popped down to the hardware shop and got some double sided tape and asked for some mineral solvent, they did not have the solvent but there was a guy in there who said he used to work at a golf club and they used paraffin. The only paraffin they had was in a two letter bottle so they guy said I should try lamp oil. I knew the wife had some so back home to try it out.

I could not find the lamp oil as it was right by my feet where I was doing the re-grip and I am a man so I don’t look properly. The next best thing was nail polish remover. Took the 56 and cut the grip off and cleaned all the mess off the shaft, re tapped it and covered it in nail polish remover and put some into the grip. It was tough to get on and the grip tried to fold in on its self. By the time it was on I was naked to the waist and red in the face. Onto the 50 and having found the lamp oil, I got stuck into grip number two. It worked so badly that ¾ of the way on the grip was stuck and would not move either way, my hand was bleeding and I was sweating like mad. I had to cut it off and start again, back to nail vanish remover.

Next time I will be getting a pro to do this, it cost more in bits and stress to make it worth me getting good at it, I do hope I have not bent my shafts, don’t think I did though.

They look great but to hell with doing that again.

Alex

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think white spirit would be the next best thing.

You really soak the tape, but if you catch it in a container you don't lose much.
Alternatively as Bob suggested to me, dip the taped shaft into the bottle.

A

Alex1975

I dont think the grips were the easyest, they bottom hand was really rubbery and very easy to cave in, the top hand went on very easy. I think a full cord would have been much faster.

I did not have a vice and I would think thay may have been part of it. :eek:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your problem was the grip and shaft weren't slippery enough as it should just slide on very easily.
Still, you'll know better next time :D

A

Alex1975

Your problem was the grip and shaft weren't slippery enough as it should just slide on very easily.
Still, you'll know better next time :D

Ye your right for sure.

Bacardibatman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
yep i use white spirit put the shaft in the container and pour the white spirit from the grip back down the tape and into the container

if its tough to do you definitely havent used enough of it

which would also make it near on impossible to adjust & align perfectly once the grips actually on

A

Alex1975

I've done this a few times with mixed results, I bought a vice mounted on a table in my garage, this has made it alot easier.

Ye I wished I had one, think it would have helped alot. I would have to change alot of grips to make that worth my while I think.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
once you get a vice, it's a whole new world. You start looking for ways to use it. Regripping clubs is no longer enough.

it may be the first step on the road to a full club making workshop!!

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't think it's normal double sided tape you use either, but special grip tape available from where you buy the grips.

I may be wrong about this though.

A

Alex1975

I don't think it's normal double sided tape you use either, but special grip tape available from where you buy the grips.

I may be wrong about this though.

na its not specia, thx though.

A

Alex1975

It was a little like putting the kitchen units in, alot more phisical than I expeced. They do look nice though and they are really great grips for wedges.

A

Alex1975

Yep, seems to need a good soak. The pro will enjoy that next year when he does my clubs.

Going to do a little review on the grips though, they are awesome! Black Widow Multi.