Just a thought

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday morning I met up with my golf mates for the back 9, mainly for the walk but I did take a ball and my 56° wedge. On each hole I played the wedge from tee to green. This wedge goes pretty much 110 yards for me and our back 9 is 3042 yards off the yellows, its difficulty is that its tree lined pretty tight with water ditches and small greens. So I hit many decent shots and a few thins and was on the green each hole for

Par. Shots
5. 5
4. 4
4. 4
4. 4
3. 2
4. 4
4. 4
5. 4
3. 3

It got me thinking the with a handicap index of 16 and playing 18 should I go round with a 6 or 7 iron off most tees, do I really need drivers, 3 woods, rescue clubs and driving irons - I'm tempted to try this exercise one day

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definitely makes sense to use your shots where you can - but where's the fun in playing safe all the time? And you would be banned from the forum if you can't hit it 300 yards from the tee anymore :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried it. It made me realise I wasn't as good with a 7 iron as I thought I was. :D But seriously, it was fun, it made me think better about course strategy and I found a few holes where I could definitely score more consistently by taking less club off the tee.

Apart from that, it's good to hear you're hitting the ball again Chris.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yesterday morning I met up with my golf mates for the back 9, mainly for the walk but I did take a ball and my 56° wedge. On each hole I played the wedge from tee to green. This wedge goes pretty much 110 yards for me and our back 9 is 3042 yards off the yellows, its difficulty is that its tree lined pretty tight with water ditches and small greens. So I hit many decent shots and a few thins and was on the green each hole for

Par. Shots
5. 5
4. 4
4. 4
4. 4
3. 2
4. 4
4. 4
5. 4
3. 3

It got me thinking the with a handicap index of 16 and playing 18 should I go round with a 6 or 7 iron off most tees, do I really need drivers, 3 woods, rescue clubs and driving irons - I'm tempted to try this exercise one day

Always worth a try! I sometimes go "irons only" sometimes for 9 holes to test myself out and you do still find your way around with little problems.

I suppose the longer clubs give you the advantage of making the green in regulation (or under), so long as they go well.

It all comes down to where youre most comfortable approaching the green from! We all have different strengths and weaknesses

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think trying the exercise would be enjoyable and worthwhile it also would give you different strategic decisions to what you are used to.
I have also done this exercise and I score significantly worse than when I use driver off the tee. I am a short but relatively straight hitter of the ball most of the time.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ever tried a hybrid 2/3/4 iron ?

Nice to hear you're back on the course again, hope to be there myself next week.

I've got a 3 Titleist u500 driving iron that works well and can go 210 + (if I connect properly)

I wish you well with your return, I plan to play 18 next week if the consultant is ok with that

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Par. Shots
5. 5
4. 4
4. 4
4. 4
3. 2
4. 4
4. 4
5. 4
3. 3

It got me thinking the with a handicap index of 16 and playing 18 should I go round with a 6 or 7 iron off most tees, do I really need drivers, 3 woods, rescue clubs and driving irons - I'm tempted to try this exercise one day[/Q

Par. Shots
5. 5
4. 4
4. 4
4. 4
3. 2
4. 4
4. 4
5. 4
3. 3

One of the best rounds I ever shot came when I only hit my 3 hybrid off tee (not par 3's). Admittedly, I hit it well but the key was playing second shots from the fairway mostly instead of in rough/trees etc. Really interesting test tho

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Par. Shots
5. 5
4. 4
4. 4
4. 4
3. 2
4. 4
4. 4
5. 4
3. 3

Dont do it but take the longer clubs with you, all you do is hit 7 iron off the tee, leave yourself 200 and think I cant layup from here so get a longer club out for the approach shot (yes talking from experience lol)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, I would say it's not for me. My driver is just as accurate as anything else in the bag, so all I'd be doing is costing myself distance. And for 2nd/3rd shots, when it comes to accuracy into the green, the shorter the club I'm hitting the more accurate it's likely to be. Plus if you're taking 3 shots to reach any hole that's longer than 300 yards then the handicap is unlikely to come back down unless you putt the lights out?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Par. Shots
5. 5
4. 4
4. 4
4. 4
3. 2
4. 4
4. 4
5. 4
3. 3

Our Seniors played for an annual trophy last Friday which only allows the player to carry and use 4 clubs and a putter. Of the 45 players, only 9 scored less than 30 points, 13 scored 36 points or better and 3 scored in the 40s. You would probably have been in the money with your 7 iron off the tee.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's a lot to be said for taking a 1/2 or even 1/3 of a set out..
One potential issue with just short clubs is when you need a carry from the tee..over 120 yards and you're in the cack of you don't middle it..
Good to see you back Grandad(y)

D

Deleted member 23270

I've got a 3 Titleist u500 driving iron that works well and can go 210 + (if I connect properly)

I wish you well with your return, I plan to play 18 next week if the consultant is ok with that
Makes you wonder how many clubs we actually need to carry. Driving iron goes 210, 56 wedge goes 110. How many clubs do you have to cover the 100 yards in between?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Makes you wonder how many clubs we actually need to carry. Driving iron goes 210, 56 wedge goes 110. How many clubs do you have to cover the 100 yards in between?

Wedge 124, 9 iron 137, 8 iron 145, 7 iron 162, 6 iron 175, 5 iron 192 that roll out according to Shotscope playing average