Just a thought

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Seniors played for an annual trophy last Friday which only allows the player to carry and use 4 clubs and a putter. Of the 45 players, only 9 scored less than 30 points, 13 scored 36 points or better and 3 scored in the 40s. You would probably have been in the money with your 7 iron off the tee.

We have a 5 club comp for the main club on Sunday, sadly I cant risk playing it but i know the winning scores will be high and better than par. The first comp I ever won was the 5 club at a different club, some 20+ years back

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Scoring well in low club competitions is not necessarily the result of taking reduced club off the tee. A lot of people I know still take driver, having a reduced choice to play approach shots may be a factor for some which actually may mean they underclub less hitting to the green

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I regularly only carry 10 clubs, often only take a half set and rarely think 'I wish I had that club'.

The 3 club comp this year at my course, was only over 12 holes due to the weather but I won it with 28 points, which also included a blob. That was with a 4h, PW and putter.

G1z1

Visit site
I can now break 80 pretty consistently with a 5 iron off the tee. My bad shot with a 5 iron is a push I never slice my irons so it’s rare I lose a ball with irons. Driver will get me a extra 40/50 yards but I can slice or hook and do all sorts or crazy things with the driver. Plus on a bad day I might lose a few balls with driver.

Visit site
In our club champs last year I decided to take the double bogey on our Stroke Index 1 out of the equation, by hitting 8 iron, 8 iron, wedge. I thought I’d take my chances of up and downing for my par.

I 3 putted… ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In our club champs last year I decided to take the double bogey on our Stroke Index 1 out of the equation, by hitting 8 iron, 8 iron, wedge. I thought I’d take my chances of up and downing for my par.

I 3 putted… ?
This is a big thing for me at my handicap level (where I get 1 shot on the majority of holes). Whenever people say 'use your shots' and encourage laying up, they neglect the fact that it puts more pressure on the short game. You can't duff a chip and/or three-putt or you're looking at double bogey. If I can reach the green at all I'd rather go for it. I'll only think about lay-up spots if I can't physically reach at all, or if trying and failing to reach puts me in the crap obviously.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I can now break 80 pretty consistently with a 5 iron off the tee. My bad shot with a 5 iron is a push I never slice my irons so it’s rare I lose a ball with irons. Driver will get me a extra 40/50 yards but I can slice or hook and do all sorts or crazy things with the driver. Plus on a bad day I might lose a few balls with driver.

So can I, never is still pretty consistent isn't it?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This is a big thing for me at my handicap level (where I get 1 shot on the majority of holes). Whenever people say 'use your shots' and encourage laying up, they neglect the fact that it puts more pressure on the short game. You can't duff a chip and/or three-putt or you're looking at double bogey. If I can reach the green at all I'd rather go for it. I'll only think about lay-up spots if I can't physically reach at all, or if trying and failing to reach puts me in the crap obviously.

This is my whole golf game summed up perfectly!

I can reach any green in reg in distance - so I just play the hole for par these days and accept somewhere along the way that I will use my additonal shot if needed - I never plan to use it, often do :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is my whole golf game summed up perfectly!

I can reach any green in reg in distance - so I just play the hole for par these days and accept somewhere along the way that I will use my additonal shot if needed - I never plan to use it, often do :ROFLMAO:
Agreed. I feel like 'using your shots' is a fine strategy if you're happy remaining the same handicap forever. If you actually want to get down you have to go for some greens. Even if you miss them it's a chip on and two putts for bogey, rather than laying up, pitching onto the front edge and three-putting for double. As you say, on most holes I see that shot as simply an allowance for one mistake, provided I don't compound it with a second one. My attitude is hit it as far as you comfortably can, and finish the hole in the least shots you can. ??‍♂️

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If your club still has how did I do. Have a look through you last 10 scores and see if you average worse than a bogey on any. Let's call these problem holes.

These are the holes you should think about putting the driver away or trying the 3 irons approach to see if if improves.

Every time you make bogey on these you are picking up a shot that you would normally fritter away.

If you are playing off 18+ there is bound to be a couple of holes that this applies to.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If your club still has how did I do. Have a look through you last 10 scores and see if you average worse than a bogey on any. Let's call these problem holes.

These are the holes you should think about putting the driver away or trying the 3 irons approach to see if if improves.

Every time you make bogey on these you are picking up a shot that you would normally fritter away.

If you are playing off 18+ there is bound to be a couple of holes that this applies to.

Just had a look at mine out of interest, my worst hole is a very short par 5 it seems (our 17th) its only 450 yards but theres some pesky conifers that you need to get past that literally always destroy my soul!

Noted, ill stop chasing the green in 2 here, Driver, 9 iron and take it from there!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our 16th (SI 3 and about 430 yards) is my worse hole statistically. No surprise with OOB all the way down the left about 20 yards left of the tee and two large oak trees around the 190 yard mark. The fairway at that point narrows to 19 yards. Not a problem for the big hitters who can send it high over the OOB and trees and fade it back or aim at the first oak and draw it. For the rest of us it's an intimidating tee shot especially if you are going well.

I have taken to using a 3 or 5 wood in the winter to find the fairway before it narrows so I can pick, clean and place and play it as a par 5. I am scoring better by hitting fairway wood, fairway wood and a shot of around 100 yards. It may be a tactic for the summer too. Sometimes being shorter can make a hole easier especially when you get shots