Joining a Club

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm now in a position to join a club and have one or two in mind. What should I be looking for? Obviously I can check out the courses by playing them (usually, unless they are sooooo private), and to a large extent, can check out the facilities whilst there. But what should I be asking about the club itself? What would be a big "no" and would set off the warning bells to you?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Personally, I wouldn’t join any club unless I knew one or two people there. That way you can get a much better idea of the place, they can take you on the course and they could fill you in on how the competitions are run and the usual fickle rules about the place.

If it were a fair amount of money we’re talking, I would need to go that route.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd go an play and get a feel for the overall atmsosphere, the condition of the ocurse and the level of service in the pro shop and restaurant/bar.

I'm not overly bothered about not knowing anyone as I would be looking to play competitions (presuming these are randomly drawn). The only down side may be trying to get 3 handicap cards in.

Shop around and compare prices and value for money and go from there. Out of interest which courses are you looking at?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly you have got to get into your mind your joining a club to meet your needs not their's.

some of the things i would look out for are.

State of the course is it well maintained.
Practice facilities.
How easy is it to get my handicap?
Club house/ whats the social side like.
Can i play in the comps how often are they run.
Is it close enough to home.
Whats the pro/pro-shop like.
Do they have a booking system for tee times.
Do they let societys on at weekends.
Is there a Joining fee.

Have a look at their website's as well should give you a lot of info.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Check if you can get to play when you normally play - our place has comps on sat and sunday morning. Normally I would have got the mates from home up on once a month on Sunday morning for a round, but I cant do it now.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I was thinking of joining a local a local course, it is more of a course and pub than a club, I played last Saturday and the course was as dull as anything, it was is decent nick but needs about 5-10 years to mature but most holes where like groundhog day. My local Muni is waaay better, you even miss the shellsuit/dunlop/beer swilling brigade if you tee off early on a weekend and its half the price.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I'd go an play and get a feel for the overall atmsosphere, the condition of the ocurse and the level of service in the pro shop and restaurant/bar.

I'm not overly bothered about not knowing anyone as I would be looking to play competitions (presuming these are randomly drawn). The only down side may be trying to get 3 handicap cards in.

Shop around and compare prices and value for money and go from there. Out of interest which courses are you looking at?

That’s fair enough, if it’s not an option then fine. I looked at and played at a few clubs last year, and knowing some of the people tells you more in a short period than what you’ll find out yourself in a season.

It was much easier to arrange games, it was much easier to find out about the club house and it’s facilities, it was easier to find out about the pro as a teacher and a starter, it was much easier to find out about how the club ran it’s competitions, it was easier to find out about the clubs that ran within the club, it was easier to find out about the fees and the options for paying, it was easier to find out about the course and the intended changes to the course, it was easier for me to join in with some of the sweeps that run, it was easier to find out when the course was quieter, it was easier to find out about the clubs finances.

It’s not a major issue but all in all, knowing some members made it easy, really easy.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Folks - thanks - some interesting things to think about.

To answer Homer, amongst others was considering Shooters Hill, Dulwich & Sydenham Hill, Park Wood, Austin Lodge. Or to bring a light of nostalgia to Homers eyes, an outside thought of Wimbledon Common/London Scottish (handy from work but less so from home)

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Folks - thanks - some interesting things to think about.

To answer Homer, amongst others was considering Shooters Hill, Dulwich & Sydenham Hill, Park Wood, Austin Lodge. Or to bring a light of nostalgia to Homers eyes, an outside thought of Wimbledon Common/London Scottish (handy from work but less so from home)

Qualoty of course obviously is not high on your criteria then......

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Qualoty of course obviously is not high on your criteria then......

Variable I admit - but does depend on reasonable travelling time from SE london - don't want to have to drive too far else it becomes impractical to get them often & regular. Am open to suggestions though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The thing about dear old Wimbledon Common (100 years this year so a good time to join) is that being good for work means you can get to use it in the summer. In my experience it isn't so bad having to drive that bit further at weekends as there is less traffic and you can build up the expectation.

Not sure who is still around from my time but Jeff Jukes was the pro and think he is still there. I think the prices aare pretty good and they have a full competition programme most weekends. Not the longest course but tight. The greens are usually in good knick too.

Forget sameebee has that snobbish air. Ascot not good enough nor it appears is Wimbledon Common. Perhaps he just doesn't like where I play. I admit neither are the Wentworths of this world but they are both homely clubs with good honest people and a friendly atmosphere. I happen to think that goes a long way to making an okay track into a decent club. But hey according to sammeebee what do I know!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer,

I like wimbledon common (dog cr*p, horses, picknickers and all) & know a couple members but have you ever tried driving from SE London to wimbledon - any day of the week? I'd have chewed the end off a nine iron before I got even halfway there. It could work for after work, but I'd have to rule out weekends which would rather spoil the point of things. Which is why I only have it down as a "tentative"