Joining a Club

Paulienash

Visit site
Hi,

I'm an older complete beginner (lockdown Golfer?), I've only played about 12 rounds. I'm not very good (yet to break 100) but really, really enjoying it. I'm never going to hit it a long way but I love playing percentages and I can see how with enough practice I could improve.

I'd like to be able to play 2 or 3 times a week to try and get a bit better. The 2 guys I know that Golf who I can play with don't have the spare time I do & I don't fancy playing on my own. I'm thinking of joining a club but it's a bit daunting for someone at my level of play & age. Can you join a Club as a complete beginner and would it be likely to be able to play with others at a similar level?

Thanks in advance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi,

I'm an older complete beginner (lockdown Golfer?), I've only played about 12 rounds. I'm not very good (yet to break 100) but really, really enjoying it. I'm never going to hit it a long way but I love playing percentages and I can see how with enough practice I could improve.

I'd like to be able to play 2 or 3 times a week to try and get a bit better. The 2 guys I know that Golf who I can play with don't have the spare time I do & I don't fancy playing on my own. I'm thinking of joining a club but it's a bit daunting for someone at my level of play & age. Can you join a Club as a complete beginner and would it be likely to be able to play with others at a similar level?

Thanks in advance.
I think you'll be surprised. Most clubs have a very active senior section and most are very welcoming to new members. If you join you could always invest in a couple of lessons to help you on your way and use one of the days you have to work on the game a bit

Paulienash

Visit site
I think you'll be surprised. Most clubs have a very active senior section and most are very welcoming to new members. If you join you could always invest in a couple of lessons to help you on your way and use one of the days you have to work on the game a bit

That's great, thanks for your reply.

Paulienash

Visit site
Talking of breaking 100, there's a good series on YouTube in 6 parts, part 1 here.

Thanks, one of the guys suggested doing something similar marking the card as if it's a par 99, but per the 1st part of the vid I don't want to be holding everyone up messing about, confidence is easily lost. I'm sad enough that I'll make my own card at a par 99 for the next round. I've also got a driver, I decided very early on it wasn't for me, but one of the guys convinced me to try a modern mid price one at the range, I hit it 20-30 yds further than anything before, but I haven't actually had a round with it yet. I've found hitting range balls is one thing, hitting on the course is totally different.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A number of clubs do Academy memberships to help beginners learn the game & the etiquette. It's also a good way to meet people in a similar positionn

Don't know where you are in Bristol but a quick Google search on golf clubs near Bristol with Academy memberships shows Henry, Long Ashton & Filton appear to have Academy membership.

Paulienash

Visit site
Thanks, yes I looked at the Filton one they are doing a deal. I assumed the Academy membership was for younger members.

We're about to move outside of Bristol, one of the reasons for thinking about more Golf is I won't be able to do some of my other activities.
A number of clubs do Academy memberships to help beginners learn the game & the etiquette. It's also a good way to meet people in a similar positionn

Don't know where you are in Bristol but a quick Google search on golf clubs near Bristol with Academy memberships shows Henry, Long Ashton & Filton appear to have Academy membership.

Thanks, I saw the Academy at Filton on their website and they're doing a deal, I assumed it was younger members only.

We're just about to move out of Bristol which will lead me onto having to join a Club if I want to play regularly. Now I know that they'll be players of a similar age/level I'll pluck up the courage and visit a couple of Clubs. I've only ever been to a pay & play before.

Paulienash

Visit site
What part of Bristol are you? Lots of choice round there

Thanks,

Fairly central Bristol, I've only played at Woodlands which is just a relaxed pay & play. I passed Thornbury a few weeks back and drove up the drive to have a look at the course. Looks pretty daunting for a lone beginner but I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks,

Fairly central Bristol, I've only played at Woodlands which is just a relaxed pay & play. I passed Thornbury a few weeks back and drove up the drive to have a look at the course. Looks pretty daunting for a lone beginner but I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

iI'd imagine most on here started at either a pitch & putt or a public course, just as I did. Just as a lot of us will have had our first driving lesson in an empty car park. No shame in either, and motorways are pretty intimidating to a novice driver, but you soon get used to them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most clubs operate a booking system so if there is a spare slot you just add your name to it. I would recommend changing who you play with often so as to get to know as many members as soon as possible. Generally at our club new members fairly quickly find a group that are happy to take a newcomer in.

Like most clubs we have a very well supported Senior 'section' who run their own comps and it easy for a new member to get a game in one of them.

All of this obviously depends on much a social person you are yourself.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Thornbury also has a par 3 course... great for learning on, it’s also the sort of place that is pretty helpful in getting folk started. If you had some lessons on the range there, the pro will get you hooked up with folk to play with. The 18 hole main course is much better than I expected for the green fee charged and isn’t too intimidating for beginners, and has enough to keep better players interested too.

Most clubs are helpful to new starters. Most new starters also quickly discover that in golf, there’s always someone better, but there’s always someone worse too! AND they could have taken then plunge to get out on the course a bit earlier than they did.

If you’re moving north of Bristol, there are worse places to play than Thornbury. But go in and talk to talk to prospective courses, explain your requirements, theyll be pleased to see you!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Once we get through Covid and clubs get back to normal then most clubs have weekday roll ups which is a great place to get regular games and meet a large group of playing partners. From what others have said, Thornbury seems to tick a lot of boxes

Paulienash

Visit site
Once we get through Covid and clubs get back to normal then most clubs have weekday roll ups which is a great place to get regular games and meet a large group of playing partners. From what others have said, Thornbury seems to tick a lot of boxes

Great, thanks for all your replies.

Find a permanent base first and I'll visit the local Clubs and take the plunge, looking forward to it now, never thought I'd be joining a Golf Club.

Ssshank

Visit site
Of course, that's the beauty of golf playing with new people.

Obviously, the situation isn't ideal atm but you'll find that most members will be extremely accommodating, you do get the odd few clicks but this isn't too common these days.

In terms of playing with people of a similar ability to yourself, you are better off playing with better players as you'll improve much quicker and again they'll be more than happy to help you out.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes get yourself down to a club when lockdown is over.
Ask if you can come and have a look around.
They may offer a free round to see if you like the course.
It’s a myth that most of us play like tiger
It takes all kinds to make a club and you will not regret joining.
You will learn from other players what to do and what not to.
Just enjoy your golf that’s what it’s all about.