John O'Leary RIP

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not one too take much interest in the professional game but I did cross paths with John O'Leary many years ago when on a corporate golf day at The Buckinghamshire.

I've always liked to hit a few balls properly to stretch before playing and on this occasion I passed up the opportunity to partake in a group chipping lesson with Mr O'leary in order to do so.

After finishing up I ambled over to the short game area where they appeared to be just finishing up. As I got there the session broke up and Mr O'leary announced that there would now be a chipping competition and the first player up was....Nick Davis. I hadn't even brought a club with me as I wasn't expecting to do anything so had to nip back to may bag to select an appropriate weapon. Mr O'leary looked at me and said..."so you're the person who's chipping is so good you dont need a lesson from me then eh?"...and he threw three balls on the ground, pointed out the target flag some 50 ft away, looked at me and said...."go on then...show us how its done".

I've never hit a chip quite so well....it left the club nice and crisply, hit the green, bounced, checked and rolled out to about 2ft from the hole!! The man himself just looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

(The next two chips were distinctly average...in fact they were downright crap!!!)

(Funnily enough I was just sorting through some old photos a couple of days ago and found a picture of me taken at this particular event!!)