James Robinson YouTube +4

Visit site
Guys, am I missing something here? I see he’s posted a video where he’s just got his handicap after 10 years and talking about his round. He’s saying he played really well and was 1 over at the turn par 35, gross 36, net 38. Surely a proper plus 4 handicapper would be saying I’m not performing on the front 9. I play regularly with +1 and +3 golfers here in Aus and they would spank him every time. Can someone enlighten me how he got this handicap please?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Guys, am I missing something here? I see he’s posted a video where he’s just got his handicap after 10 years and talking about his round. He’s saying he played really well and was 1 over at the turn par 35, gross 36, net 38. Surely a proper plus 4 handicapper would be saying I’m not performing on the front 9. I play regularly with +1 and +3 golfers here in Aus and they would spank him every time. Can someone enlighten me how he got this handicap please?
He did a video explaining how he got his handicap a couple of weeks ago - he said in that he didn't think he was anywhere near a +4

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have heard a lot of club pros say that they don't really have much time to play actual golf either with all the lessons, and in his case, filming to fit in, and that makes it hard for them to play consistently when they do get out.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Two things to note as well, he will have been playing off the whites which is a CR of 72 vs a par of 71 at Wooley Park GC. Also, with it being an initial handicap it will have been the best of his three cards, less two shots. So if he shot a 1 under par round, his handicap will have come out at +4.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was fortunate enough to play with two excellent club pros last weekend and both of them were a league ahead of anyone else I've played with - most of the way round! However, both of those guys work in golf, not at golf, so time on the range and time on course is limited for them and you could see that as they lacked just a wee bit of consistency. One of the guys has only played three 18 hole rounds at his course this year and not many more elsewhere.

Incredible golfers who just hit the ball differently from mere mortals and you could see that if they had the time to devote to practising they'd be shooting low, low scores: unfortunately for them, tour level pros are another notch up again and so it's better for them to earn a living dealing with golf in other ways rather than spending all their time working on their game for little professional reward.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He won't have a true handicap until he has a few cards in and a fully true handicap until he's 20 cards in.

Think he's already gone from +4 to +3.1

To be fair he said himself he expects it to be 2 or 3 this time next year.

Thought he was a PGA pro, does this mean he's got back his amateur status?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
He won't have a true handicap until he has a few cards in and a fully true handicap until he's 20 cards in.

I'm not sure but quite a few of the YouTube PGA pros seem to be doing this as well. They've mentioned that the new system means they can actually hold a handicap but not gone into any detail as to why that is.

https://www.pga.info/news/obtaining-a-handicap-index-under-the-world-handicap-system/

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Under WHS PGA professionals can have handicaps

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

He said himself that he thinks he is 2 handicapper, can't believe he is +4. I play with plenty of plus handicappers and they would destroy him out on the course.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The real question that needs answering here, is why grown men would be so fascinated by a random internet geezers handicap.

Especially suggestions to follow his WHS on the EG app ???