Ivan Morris article

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry Mr. Morris if you happen to be reading this but the quoted phrase in your article' The course is so long that I was told to expect "at least a five hour round" by the starter. I used to expect to play 36 holes in that time' has lit my fuse.

It smacks of ' back in the days before the war ' type boorishness which is infuriating. How far back are we talking exactly? 20, 30 40 years ago?You don't enlighten us with such detail. Furthermore you may well have played 36 holes at a pace of 12 minutes 30 seconds per hole over five hours but i'll be stuffed it I would want to be part of your group! ( incidentally I assume such feats of superhuman achievement were alone as four of you at it would have resembled something out of The Derby)

Celtic Manor, championship course, Ryder cup venue, 5 whole hours ahead of top grade pleasure, expenses paid? What's the problem?

Finally, how exactly can sprinting round a course in 2 and a half hours be the least bit pleasant? Am I missing a hidden side to golf i'm not yet aware of? Should we be ditching the trousers and jumper in favour of body-hugging lycra with fins ?

Sorry Mr. Morris but the spikey and flaccid style of your piece completely overshadowed whatever it was you were trying to convey about the inadequacies of modern golf architecture.

:mad:

what did anyone else think?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks, I will pick a copy up and have a look at that, I am a member at the Celtic but not on the 2010 course.

You lucky chap!

I'm down that way from time to time and pass that rather imposing looking hotel . Were going to aim for tickets when The Cup comes round. Now there's something to look forward to.

You must be proud.

;)

The_Squire

Head Pro
Visit site
Let me know when your coming this way with your clubs and if we can get together for a round all the better, but it won't be on the 2010 as thats £150 a round and probably another £40 for balls looking at the water.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
After reading the article by this dull individual I find it quite patronising that this guy has the gall to mock the time it takes to play a real championship course.

Dear Mr Morris, it may be down to your advanced years and possible bladder weakness that you found a five hour round an inconvenience but not everybody wants to dash round a course in 2 and 1/2 hours. If this is what you want to do then go play 9 holes or visit the Golf Lounge in Glasgow where you don't even have to walk between shots (you could do 18 holes in 35 minutes) . If you feel such a resentment to long rounds of golf then why do you play this game?

I don't often get the chance to play famous tracks but in the last 4 months I have played the Brabazon and The Jube and to be honest I was sad to walk off the 18th greens when holing out. This is because I love golf and all things golf. I like to take in my surroundings and think of all those who have tread before me and absorb the history of this fine game.

I could have stood all afternoon at the plaque where Christy O'connor jnr nailed a 2 iron 175 yards on 18 at the Belfry in the Ryder Cup but I was ushered on as there were other golfers behind me. I have stood on the Swilken Bridge and felt a wee rush of emotion when recalling Jacks final farewell there not so long ago. These examples are HISTORY and they should be treated with apprecaition and not distain.

If you have lost the love of the game then I suggest you get rid of your clubs and bin your typewriter because I could have summarised your article as follows:

I was paid to play Celtic Manor and it took up my whole day. Bah humbug !!!!!!!!

Mine would have read:

I played a course today that will some day be part of Ryder Cup history and I made sure I soaked up every second of it. I feel truly honoured to be paid to cover a sport I love so dearly.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I disagree completely with Billy g and Madandra. Golf is meant to be played quickly. I loved it when you could play 36 holes in 5 hours. Done it lots of times. I've even played 54 in a day and enjoyed it. Slow play is the curse of golf. I hate waiting behind hackers who imitate the pros they've seen on the telly. The Koreans and Japanese are the worst.
Hit it. Go after it. Then, hit it again. Walter Hagen said ''stop and smell the roses''. Thank God I never played behind him.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I disagree completely with Billy g and Madandra. Golf is meant to be played quickly. I loved it when you could play 36 holes in 5 hours. Done it lots of times. I've even played 54 in a day and enjoyed it. Slow play is the curse of golf.

I cant stand slow play either and I wouldn't be too chuffed going round my course in 5 hours but when playing a course like The Brabazon K Club and Celtic Manor all of whom have had to accomodate for the vast numbers of spectators expected at the Ryder Cup, you find that the distance from green to tee can be a five minute walk. And with all the water around even the most skillful of golfers are going to add a bit to time to their round of golf.