It's just like cheating to some

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
i'm getting more and more fed up by the petty rules we keep getting bombarded with lately,golf is a simple game made difficult by out dated regulations,we need no more than a dozen rules and if you need to be that anal as to throw your hands up about a mobile phone device is it worth playing the game,the game would be quicker and more fun if we got rid of some of the stupid rules and had more common sense.

Without the rules that have been tried and tested the game really wouldn't be worth playing. It's easy to say otherwise until you see why the decisions are needed and the unfairness and cheating that would take place without them

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
i'm getting more and more fed up by the petty rules we keep getting bombarded with lately,golf is a simple game made difficult by out dated regulations,we need no more than a dozen rules and if you need to be that anal as to throw your hands up about a mobile phone device is it worth playing the game,the game would be quicker and more fun if we got rid of some of the stupid rules and had more common sense.

I'm really looking forward to your next post in which you reveal the 12 rules which would simplify the game and make it quicker and more fun. Will it take long?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without the rules that have been tried and tested the game really wouldn't be worth playing. It's easy to say otherwise until you see why the decisions are needed and the unfairness and cheating that would take place without them
if we had more simple easy to follow modern rules the game would become quicker and more enjoyable,if there were only a minimum of rules but were strictly adhere to everyone should be able to remember them and thus no one could cheat or bend them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
if we had more simple easy to follow modern rules the game would become quicker and more enjoyable,if there were only a minimum of rules but were strictly adhere to everyone should be able to remember them and thus no one could cheat or bend them.

I'd be willing to bet the most wouldn't know them all cos half the wassocks I play with don't seem to know 12 of the current ones!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to your next post in which you reveal the 12 rules which would simplify the game and make it quicker and more fun. Will it take long?
Possibly the "rules" used by those scoring more than 50 points in the SeveDay comp.
Main rule.. Think of a number, write it down as your score.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
On Sunday I was 1 under par gross playing the 12th hole (off 12 h/c) and played a wrong ball - it was the same ball and number as mine and in the rough and where I expected mine to be. It would have been so easy to carry on, especially as I hit a corker but did I want to win and have that on my mind?

No - I called it straight away, game went to pot and the only consolation after 36 holes was a .1 cut back to 11. Can I sleep at night - oh yes!

Similar thing happened to me in our singles knockout this year, was 2 up going down the 9th - hit ball over brow of hill out of sight and then immediately found it sitting up in the rough (identified make and number) and hit it. Walked on found another ball in rough 15 yds further (same PROV1 number 4). Immediately alerted my opponent - declared loss of hole - could only think that I had never played the wrong ball in a comp in more than 20 years and went on to lose the match on 19th.

Upset, you betcha but consolation was ability to look myself in the mirror and to explain what had happened and use it as an example to my two golfing boys

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Moral of both tales - mark your balls, you know it makes sense.

My ball was marked and absolutely always is. The ball was in deep rough and, quite wrongly, I didn't think for a moment that it was not my ball. My 2 playing partners were no where near to call over and observe me checking the ball and, very amateurishly, I didn't use common sense and properly check. My mistake and I called it straight away.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine was marked too which i guess is why it isnt a regular problem but it the rough I didn't even imagine that there could be another - I only found a mark when I checked second ball and called the penalty. I guess you can live with one mistake in 20 years whereas you would be worried about thinking of yourself as a cheat for life

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site

"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Nuff sed!