It's just like cheating to some

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sorry it is!

It seems to me that knowing more rules than some of the other guys is tantamount to cheating in same fellow players eyes. They ask what the rule is and then get stroppy when the answer is not what they want to hear.

On Sunday we had a 36 hole comp, one of my playing partners, a 5 handicapper, got his i phone out and said that he wasnt making calls but had a DMD app on it - I told him that it was not approved for use in competitions and that he couldn't use it or risk being dq'd. He stropped round for several holes having clearly used the app in other comps and not being pulled up (not a member of my club) and said that the Bushnell had functions that you just tturn off to render them ok - I did answer that.

I couldnt find the relevent stuff in the rule book that I carry and, at the same time was playing my best ever golf (2 under gross on that 9) so didn't want the aggro to affect my game. Later we met another group where, for his benefit, I was able to get confirmation of what I had told him and things improved and he finally came 2nd overall, but not before I helped him with his options from being unable to play from a big bush and one of them he didnt know and saved him one or two dropped shots

But why is it that they dont apologise for their behaviour when they find that you were correct, or should none of us learn the rules and save the aggro?

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
I dont have my rule book to hand and will see if i can find it, but i always thought that GPS apps on a phone are allowed providing that it can be shown that the app only gives yardages, and that all other functions on the phone that can provide wind/ weather/temp/ gradiant are turned off.

should any of these be turned on then it becomes an illegal device.

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
found the part on the R and A website

Q. What about multi-functional devices, such as a mobile phone, with a distance measuring application?

A. On the course, subject to any club or course regulations, a multi-functional device may be used to phone, text or email – provided the purpose is not a breach of the Rules, e.g. you are not asking for advice.

When an application that measures distance has been downloaded to the device, the application must be restricted to providing only distance information in order to conform to the Local Rule. If there are any other features or applications on the phone that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play, such as a temperature gauge, compass or anemometer, this would render the device non-conforming regardless of whether these other features or applications are used or not.

The flowchart referred to above also covers the use of multi-functional devices and should be of assistance determining whether a certain device is permissable or not.

so guess it comes down to what else he had on the phone!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The point is Charlie that iPhones have a compass and/or a wind gauge facility (as far as I know) and, whether or not they can be turned off, the fact that they exist render them illegal in comps. My point about the rules was that I had my rule book in my golf bag but couldn't find the relevent bit when I wanted to show the lad.

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played alongside a guy who used one recently and was impressed at how accurate it was. Although I think all yardage finders should be disallowed for competition use full stop. There's no confusion then!

There's no better feeling than ripping your 4 iron off the fairway to check on a green from a distance you've calculated all by yourself.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There's no better feeling than ripping your 4 iron off the fairway to check on a green from a distance you've calculated all by yourself.

For me it just equals hitting the same shot from a distance calculated by my Garmin Approch GPS

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've developed a bit of a reputation for being a rules know it all at our club and (think) in the main it's seen as a positive thing. My knowledge has been greatly helped by this place and this "new" section which I find fascinating. I know also have a copy of "Decisions" and love dipping into that to check something. Yesterday our course hosted the Seniors County Champs and David played in it. His playing partners were less than friendly and less than complimentary about our course. They set to moaning about the hazard markers not being correctly placed whereas we were delighted they had a new lick of paint and more of them in place especially for the occasion!! Anyhow, checked the index in "Decisions" and there was the perfect example stating the natural boundary rather than the stakes themselves determine whether a ball is in or out of said hazard.

I do carry a rule book and have to agree finding the section your want just when you need it is tricky!

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
so theres no technology gone into your 4 iron?

Yes but you know what I'm saying. Your clubs are what you use to execute your shot where as GPS is an ancillary item. Soon they will have GPS trackers in your ball so you can locate it in the woods by your iphone. Or should I patent that now?

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
The point is Charlie that iPhones have a compass and/or a wind gauge facility (as far as I know) and, whether or not they can be turned off, the fact that they exist render them illegal in comps. My point about the rules was that I had my rule book in my golf bag but couldn't find the relevent bit when I wanted to show the lad.

dont get me wrong chris, i dont agree with using them unless they are purpose built for golf and have no other functions. i'm working away this week but if no one has responded with the specific rule by the time i get home i'll check my decisions of golf book.

my point was simply that this is still a bit of a grey area on phones with other functions as the two links i posted show, one says you def cant regardless if others functions are switched off, the other says you can use them as long as you dont access other functions.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
dont get me wrong chris, i dont agree with using them unless they are purpose built for golf and have no other functions. i'm working away this week but if no one has responded with the specific rule by the time i get home i'll check my decisions of golf book.

my point was simply that this is still a bit of a grey area on phones with other functions as the two links i posted show, one says you def cant regardless if others functions are switched off, the other says you can use them as long as you dont access other functions.

Thanks Charlie, but what I am saying is that catagorically an iPhone is not allowed , there is no grey area, even if the compass and wind gauge are switched off the iPhone cannot be used

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Charlie

Your link does not lead to official guidance on smartphones.
This link is GolfEngland's (aka EGU) guidance to players: http://englandgolf.msgfocus.com/files/amf_english_golf/project_5/DMD_GUIDANCE.pdf

This is the R&A's response to a forum member on the subject:
"
Dear Mr

I refer to your e-mail query below in which you raise a query on the Rules ofGolf.

Firstly, please be advised that Rule 14-3 states that the use of artificialdevices or unusual equipment during the course of a stipulated round for thepurposes of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect hisplay are not permitted. This means that the use of any device for the purposeof measuring distance (including laser range finders, GPS systems andsmartphones) is not permitted.

However, please refer to the Decision below, taken from the 2012/2013 editionof Decisions on the Rules of Golf which gives Committees permission tointroduce a Local Rule allowing the use of certain such devices if they sowish.

If a Committee has decided to allow the use of certain such devices at its Clubor in certain competitions, then you must still be careful as to which deviceor product you choose to use – as there are some very specific limitations asto what is and what is not permitted even under the Local Rule. Indeed, the useof a GPS app in conjunction with a smart phone(including an iPhone) is a very complex issue and is something that the Rulesof Golf Committee is currently keeping under close review. In most cases, itdepends on exactly what features or other applications are available on theindividual device.

Based on my understanding of the features available on an iPhone, it is mybelief that it would not be permissible to use this device during a round forthe purpose of distance measuring, even under the Local Rule. This is because Ibelieve it contains a compass feature as ‘standard’ and unless this compassfeature can be removed, I do not believe the iPhone could be used.

If you do have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely"

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Although I think all yardage finders should be disallowed for competition use full stop. There's no confusion then!

Yes but isn't it more satisfying to hit the perfect shot without the assistance of technology?

so how did you 'calculate' this distance all by yourself? did you look at the yardage sticks at the side of the fairway? the circles at 50yd intervals in the middle of the fairway, or was it the yardages marked on the sprinkler heads? all 'calculated' with technology:rolleyes:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A guy who I played with at Hillsde (not a forum member) told me when I took my smart phone out to take a photo, that iswas now illegal to even have a smart phone switched on, he claimed it was a new rule.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Some of you may remember my woes with order of play arguments at my club... a couple of the members do seem to have a snobby attitude about the fact I called them for it and they still persist in their own take on who should play first.