It's just like cheating to some

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My original point was more about the general attitude of people when you know more of the rules than they do. It seems that they dislike it more than playing with a cheat because you may make them do things properly and maybe wont let them have a drop where their mates might. The lad in question neither thanked me or apologised for his attitude and for, effectively, allowing him to win the 2nd prize on Sunday by stopping him from breaking the rules before he started.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
My original point was more about the general attitude of people when you know more of the rules than they do. It seems that they dislike it more than playing with a cheat because you may make them do things properly and maybe wont let them have a drop where their mates might. The lad in question neither thanked me or apologised for his attitude and for, effectively, allowing him to win the 2nd prize on Sunday by stopping him from breaking the rules before he started.

You are right it does seem to create an unhealthy atmosphere if you have the need to correct someone on a rules issue.
You would have thought the guy at the weekend would of been thankful even if it was after a hissy fit, and bought you a pint.
Does make you think is it worth saying something at times and also wonder how some people play?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
get this, I played with a 'mate' 4 handicapper who when taking a practice swing in the rough clipped his ball and it moved about 3 feet, he replaced it and said no penalty as I wasn't taking a stroke at it!
I corrected him calmly and now he doesnt speak to me!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
get this, I played with a 'mate' 4 handicapper who when taking a practice swing in the rough clipped his ball and it moved about 3 feet, he replaced it and said no penalty as I wasn't taking a stroke at it!

Some mate, surely he should of been bigger enough to accept his error.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

he is no doubt confusing the situation with that on the tee, where his ball isn't in play until he's made a stroke at it.

people put such 2+2 situations together without the underlying knowledge or understanding!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
dont get me wrong chris, i dont agree with using them unless they are purpose built for golf and have no other functions. i'm working away this week but if no one has responded with the specific rule by the time i get home i'll check my decisions of golf book.

my point was simply that this is still a bit of a grey area on phones with other functions as the two links i posted show, one says you def cant regardless if others functions are switched off, the other says you can use them as long as you dont access other functions.

you are the one confusing things - there are rules for DMDs, and as you posted and they state "If there are any other features or applications on the phone that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play, such as a temperature gauge, compass or anemometer, this would render the device non-conforming regardless of whether these other features or applications are used or not."

this is based on a smart phone being treated as a DMD if the DMD functionality is being used.

if the phone is not being used as a DMD then this does not apply, and the underlying rules apply - if you use a device such as a compass you are in breach, but having a compass in your bag is not a breach.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
On Sunday I was 1 under par gross playing the 12th hole (off 12 h/c) and played a wrong ball - it was the same ball and number as mine and in the rough and where I expected mine to be. It would have been so easy to carry on, especially as I hit a corker but did I want to win and have that on my mind?

No - I called it straight away, game went to pot and the only consolation after 36 holes was a .1 cut back to 11. Can I sleep at night - oh yes!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Despite all their "helpful" flow charts provided by R&A to decide about the legality of ones phone, they have confused me by bringing out a Rules app for your mobile.
Am I in breach of rules if I use my nonconforming phone to check a rules query?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The point is Charlie that iPhones have a compass and/or a wind gauge facility (as far as I know) and, whether or not they can be turned off, the fact that they exist render them illegal in comps. My point about the rules was that I had my rule book in my golf bag but couldn't find the relevent bit when I wanted to show the lad.

Just to clear up a couple of little points Chris. None of these smart phones have the ability to measure wind or temperature, and what advantage a compass can give you is beyond me. Yes mine has an accu weather app on it, but that is only predicted/ current weather at a weather station not at my exact location. If you want wind info it would be more accurate to look at the flags or the tops of the trees, and regarding temperature lick your finger and put it in the air is about as accurate also. So you might have to ban trees and flags from courses next, or throwing grass in the air.....:whistle:

I just do not understand the problem with using a smart phone for GPS range finding. Is it just the companies that produce those ridiculously expensive golf GPS devices throwing their teddies out of the pram because they are loosing potential customers. After all my SIII phone gives me an app for under £5 that does far more than any of the GPS devices out there, how much do they cost £200-£300.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just to clear up a couple of little points Chris. None of these smart phones have the ability to measure wind or temperature, and what advantage a compass can give you is beyond me. Yes mine has an accu weather app on it, but that is only predicted/ current weather at a weather station not at my exact location. If you want wind info it would be more accurate to look at the flags or the tops of the trees, and regarding temperature lick your finger and put it in the air is about as accurate also. So you might have to ban trees and flags from courses next, or throwing grass in the air.....:whistle:

I just do not understand the problem with using a smart phone for GPS range finding. Is it just the companies that produce those ridiculously expensive golf GPS devices throwing their teddies out of the pram because they are loosing potential customers. After all my SIII phone gives me an app for under £5 that does far more than any of the GPS devices out there, how much do they cost £200-£300.

Ther question of how they work or what they cost etc is largely irrelevent Adey in the context of my post. It was a club open competition played strictly under the rules of golf and the use of his phone app was prohibited - I know that they cant actually measure wind but the compass has to actually work or its being there would be pointless and I would have no problem with them being legal. The point is that the R and A wont approve phone apps that dont comply and had he won using the phone he would have been d q'd - I dont make the rules but I expect playing partners to abide by them

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ther question of how they work or what they cost etc is largely irrelevent Adey in the context of my post. It was a club open competition played strictly under the rules of golf and the use of his phone app was prohibited - I know that they cant actually measure wind but the compass has to actually work or its being there would be pointless and I would have no problem with them being legal. The point is that the R and A wont approve phone apps that dont comply and had he won using the phone he would have been d q'd - I dont make the rules but I expect playing partners to abide by them

I agree entirely Chris, if that is the rule then I will abide by them. It just confuses me that they are banned because of people not actually understanding what they can do and how they work. I know the compass works on it, but what info does that give that is of any benefit to a golfer?:confused: I have just been looking at my phone and it gives out no info that is of benefit to a golfer apart from what the GPS golf app gives and that is only distances.

But like i have said I will not use mine at a club where it is banned in comps.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Regarding the cost thing I only mention that as it makes me wonder who started sowing the seeds to make the old duffers at the R&A believe that they provide illegal info, which in turn gets them banned. If I ran one of the top DMD companies then I would try and stop the £5 phone apps from encroaching on my business.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Regarding the cost thing I only mention that as it makes me wonder who started sowing the seeds to make the old duffers at the R&A believe that they provide illegal info, which in turn gets them banned. If I ran one of the top DMD companies then I would try and stop the £5 phone apps from encroaching on my business.

I dont think that the R and A are in cahoots with anyone about DMD's or apps. The ruling was simply that any device had only to be a distance measure and nothing else and it's not the R and A's fault that the manufacturers decided to push the boundries further than the rules would allow. As far a i Phones are concerned, the compass and wind gauges are not part of the down load apps for distance measuring but the rule makers have always been consistant in saying that if they are on the device is renders the device unusable in comps, this applies to several early models of Bushnells etc which had the ability to measure gradients which is also not permitted and were therefore illegal.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Despite all their "helpful" flow charts provided by R&A to decide about the legality of ones phone, they have confused me by bringing out a Rules app for your mobile.
Am I in breach of rules if I use my nonconforming phone to check a rules query?

why would you be?

(and the answer is no, you aren't)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to clear up a couple of little points Chris. None of these smart phones have the ability to measure wind or temperature, and what advantage a compass can give you is beyond me. .......

it doesn't matter that you can't see the advantage of a compass - the rules say you can't use one.

the Galaxy SIII has both a digital compass and a barometer sensor that can't be disabled in hardware - therefore it's illegal to use it in competition.

it's not complicated.

people complicate things because they don't like the answers

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i'm getting more and more fed up by the petty rules we keep getting bombarded with lately,golf is a simple game made difficult by out dated regulations,we need no more than a dozen rules and if you need to be that anal as to throw your hands up about a mobile phone device is it worth playing the game,the game would be quicker and more fun if we got rid of some of the stupid rules and had more common sense.