Is this racism?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I personally don't see a problem with it but it's pretty well known these days that as a white person, you can't "black up" as part of fancy dress without it offending/annoying some people.

A year or so ago I went to a house party, the theme being 80s fancy dress. I went as BA Baracus and blacked my face up. I knew all the people there and knew it wouldn't cause offence to anyone. My costume was well received and I was commended for the effort I went to. But I certainly wouldn't wear that costume out in public for fear of finding myself all over social media and the tabloid press!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
eg a kid "white-ing up" to look like Harry Kane??? Wouldnt make the news....
There have been examples on TV and film. The most popular that people usually use in the defence is the movie White Chicks - a comedy film where two black men dress up as white women to go undercover (hence 'whiteing up' if you like). I also recall in a BBC3 comedy I used to watch a few years back called How Not To Live Your Life, there was an episode where the white lead character and his black friend were going to a fancy dress party as Riggs and Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon - the joke/twist though, not revealed until they arrived at said party, was that the white character dressed as Murtaugh and the black character was dressed as Riggs (both blacked/whited up accordingly). I thought that was funny, and I don't recall anyone saying it was racist. Although the show probably didn't have huge viewing figures.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, that’s just avoiding dealing with the issue. Burying your head in the sand. Where do you draw the line?

Pick any contentious issue and you could say someone is offended by it so we shouldn’t do it. I hold incredibly strong views about religious events but I’m not saying ban easter and Christmas!
What is the issue that is being avoided? Bad taste, poor judgement?

The line constantly moves as views in society change. Dig out some old 70's sitcoms and many would now be considered racist and most definitely sexist. By the standards of that era they were fine, by the standards of 2018 they are not. We all know that happens. With this type of thing there reaches a tipping point where society judges something is not acceptable and agree with it or not that is how it goes. I don't feel anyone's rights are particularly infringed by removing 'blacking up' from society, let it go.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I dislike about this is the lack of real dialogue.... ie we see these two people with their faces painted and automatically the thought process is that they're racist.

Whereas if you listen to the conversation on the tube with the guy he says "why not, it's a person I like".....it's not as though he's depicting a slave or another racially motivated incident from history.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I personally don't see a problem with it but it's pretty well known these days that as a white person, you can't "black up" as part of fancy dress without it offending/annoying some people.

A year or so ago I went to a house party, the theme being 80s fancy dress. I went as BA Baracus and blacked my face up. I knew all the people there and knew it wouldn't cause offence to anyone. My costume was well received and I was commended for the effort I went to. But I certainly wouldn't wear that costume out in public for fear of finding myself all over social media and the tabloid press!

A mate of mine blued up and went as a smirf. Racist?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So would "blacking up" as a black cartoon character be racist?
I think you are getting into questionable territory again so just don't do it. A blue cartoon character is clearly fictional. A black cartoon character, whilst still fictitious could have the basis of the character in reality.

We can go around the houses on this but at the end of the day it offends enough people, you don't need to do it so don't.

D

Deleted member 18588

The assumption is being made by one or two on here that some people will be offended by this.

But does anybody know that as a fact or is it similar to those who assume that Muslims will be offended by the celebration of Christmas yet can never actually find one to support their claim

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, it isn't racist because the act of dressing up as a black person has to have context, and this appears to simply be a little girl wanting to look like her idol.

Wolf

Visit site
Nope simply not seeing any racist meaning to this, kid dresses up as idol, kid gets called racist by all the snowflakes in modern society.

Perhaps they should look at real race issue instead of trawling social media to dig out a child