is this normal?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my club we use the ClubV1 booking system so people just book themselves into empty slots, the Pro shop doesn't get involved. The system does send an email if anyone adds to or removes from your tee slot though.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cant do this at my place. You might get a message here and there with someone asking to join you but they cant force themselves onto the booking.

RichA

Visit site
It doesn't happen at our place. If you book a time, you own it, but we aren't generally too busy.

When I first started, 18 months ago, I wanted to play solo because I thought I was crap and everyone else was better. After I started playing with other people, got a new (and high) handicap and started entering comps, my golf, handicap and enjoyment of the game improved dramatically.
I now have a pretty good pool of friends of all abilities for social rounds and don't mind who I'm drawn with in comps. Other than the odd half round on summer evenings, I don't actually enjoy playing solo anymore.

Just go with it with an open mind. It could be great for your golf.

Carlwm

Visit site
Given that I don't like playing with strangers - bit of a curmudgeon, on the quiet - finding three of them at the first, when I'd booked the slot, would have really wound me up.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
It would be normal at our club.

I was just the same about playing with strangers and not being very good. It’s not even a thing though is it! Some are better, some are worse, but no one’s really bothered. Give it a go, you’ll probably thoroughly enjoy it and it’ll be at least 3 folks who you’ll confident about playing with again.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Just asking out of curiosity, any of you guys who's club allow you to book a full tee time (4 slots) and then play alone, if you are able to answer,?
What would happen if every tee time in a day was taken up by new members playing alone because they didn't know anybody or were not very good?
I am pretty sure the membership would soon be after changes if they are not able to book a tee time.
Surely part of playing golf is the social aspect, meeting new people with similar interests, when I was new to my club I played with many different people, and soon realised why there were the gaps in the start sheet with some of them, but hey I played with them, made my own mind up.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my last club, all free slots could be booked into by other members, it was a great way to meet the other members, get a regular pool of playing partners etc. Also ensures everyone can get a tee time and allows the club can maximise the income by getting members out the way early and visitors booking in later (visitors couldn’t book into these free slots, only members). I assumed it was the case at all clubs…

I then changed clubs and where I am now it’s all booked via intelligent golf. If a one ball books in then that the whole slot is booked up, only they or the pro shop can add another player. I was disappointed by this and wished I’d asked before I joined, because how else do you get to meet the other members if there isn’t a comp on?

Then one day, it all changed and you could book into these free slots, great news. I popped into the shop a few days later and said to the pro it was much better this way ‘ah, erm, we’ve had to change it back I’m afraid’ and went on to say that the system couldn’t cope with it and more than 4 players were able to book into the same slot. I think that was a tactful way of saying ‘a load of the old cronies moaned that people were booking in on the time they’ve always booked’! Annoying.

As for the OP, I’d go with it and make the most of it. You’ll probably find the others are good company, encourage you and actually end up helping you in some way, whether that’s improved focus, course management etc.

RichA

Visit site
Just asking out of curiosity, any of you guys who's club allow you to book a full tee time (4 slots) and then play alone, if you are able to answer,?
What would happen if every tee time in a day was taken up by new members playing alone because they didn't know anybody or were not very good?
I am pretty sure the membership would soon be after changes if they are not able to book a tee time.
Surely part of playing golf is the social aspect, meeting new people with similar interests, when I was new to my club I played with many different people, and soon realised why there were the gaps in the start sheet with some of them, but hey I played with them, made my own mind up.
Similarly but different, at our place an hour of prime weekend morning slots are often booked in advance by single members plus 3 anonymous, to be populated by whoever rolls up from their large social group on the day. If only half a dozen roll up then they've wasted a few tee times. It hasn't affected me yet but I'm sure it's prevented a few people playing golf who don't book well in advance.

I guess all these things are down to how busy a club is and how well monitored the booking system is.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Similarly but different, at our place an hour of prime weekend morning slots are often booked in advance by single members plus 3 anonymous, to be populated by whoever rolls up from their large social group on the day. If only half a dozen roll up then they've wasted a few tee times. It hasn't affected me yet but I'm sure it's prevented a few people playing golf who don't book well in advance.

I guess all these things are down to how busy a club is and how well monitored the booking system is.

This is happening alot at present, 4 people booking 4 slots abdvtge cancelling 3 of them. The club need to take a stand sooner rather than later. Only other way is no tee time booking with green fees after a certain time. It would stop this.

If the started at members up to 12 then guests after , assess it after a month. If members aren’t using them all then adjust it.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
We have only introduced the booking systems because of the covid regulations, you are able to book a full slot and play alone, or as a two if you wish, it just seems that at times, mainly in the summer, you cannot get a game and there are not very many people actually on the course.

sunshine

Visit site

There's an easy fix to that. Disable "anonymous", so the booker has to select actual members. If those members don't turn up (repeatedly) they receive an email ticking them off for messing around with prime weekend slots.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I see it, a member has a right to a single slot on the sheet. It is unreasonable for them to expect to have the full 3 or 4 slots on a timeline. You don't book a plane ticket and then feel hard done by when people turn up in he seats beside you.

Coreservers

Visit site
I've been thinking about it, and i do agree with most points above. maybe they are all course hackers too. And had the club had the decency to inform me i might have gone ahead but finding out by accident, has knocked me a bit, so i cancelled. Just let them get on with it. I will however look at bookings in the next couple of weeks and maybe look to join on one that is looking for players

Maybe this sounds a but of a cop out, but its taken me years to get to even play on a course when others are present, as i had a major problem with that, having had a very bad experience at a public course. I've also asked the club, as to why there was no notification.

I'll keep practicing and visiting the par 3. then maybe get a proper round in. if i can lift my standard.

I know some out there will be sneering, it's just how i am. I really enjoy playing, and am getting better, now playing off 29, but when others are around i currently dont enjoy it, as i feel pressured (by myself)..

Initially i think i need to join on, on my own terms, then maybe id enjoy it more..

Maybe someone on here near Brampton Heath, that wants to break 100 together..

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Have a chat with the club and see if they can recommend some friendly people who play in 2 or 3balls and see if you can join them. At least you can be reassured they should be good guys.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go out and enjoy yourself and look at it as a confidence booster for the future. All i would say is that keep up with the pace of play and do not be afraid to pick up your ball.

They may have some type of competition between the 4 of you which should increase you confidence and you never know they all may be off 54!
You will probably be able to search their names on your website orHDID to see what their handicaps are. Overall go with an open mind, enjoy and let us know how you went on and Good Luck!

Fabia999

Visit site
Everyone is ready to play with random people at different times.

Sounds like you have the right idea with the par 3 course. Driving range is also a good idea, no pressure and you get your ball striking better.

Do whatever lets you enjoy the game. Good luck!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
As said previously go and enjoy yourself, your handicap should make it a fairly level playing field. Is there any way you can check the other's handicap using the club's website?