Is this fair?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
My friend and I entered a pairs knockout, Qualifying rounds followed by northern and southern finals, where the top 2 in each went to play in the grand finals in Portugal.

We have got to the Northern regional final, which is next week, we have just had an email confirming our tee times but also they have decided that as there were more entries from the south and also because several pairs have withdrawn from the Northern final that they have decided that only one will go through from the North and 3 will qualify from the South.

I can see their point, but surely they should have made that decision after all the entries were in and not at the last minute.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like they have changed the prizes on offer after everyone has entered. So, no, not fair, but presumably they'll have small print that allows them to do it!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My friend and I entered a pairs knockout, Qualifying rounds followed by northern and southern finals, where the top 2 in each went to play in the grand finals in Portugal.

We have got to the Northern regional final, which is next week, we have just had an email confirming our tee times but also they have decided that as there were more entries from the south and also because several pairs have withdrawn from the Northern final that they have decided that only one will go through from the North and 3 will qualify from the South.

I can see their point, but surely they should have made that decision after all the entries were in and not at the last minute.

The only comparison I can give you is the first stage of Open Qualifying,ie Regional.

It isn't until everyone has teed off at each venue, ie they know exactly how many are competing, that they announce how many qualifying spots are available at each venue.

Imagine 70 competing at one venue and only 20 at another venue, it wouldn't be fair to have, say, 8 qualifying spots at each venue as the proportions would be vastly different.

So on that basis, I would say it's fair. And also to be fair, you do state that several pairs from the North have withdrawn, the organisers weren't to know that.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bloody Southerners!! Getting all the qualifying places...

In all honesty, as much as it looks unfair at first, I can see their point. A fair allocation of qualifying spots based on the numbers competing. And they didn't know the numbers competing until after the entry was closed.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bloody Southerners!! Getting all the qualifying places...

In all honesty, as much as it looks unfair at first, I can see their point. A fair allocation of qualifying spots based on the numbers competing. And they didn't know the numbers competing until after the entry was closed.

I think it becomes fair if it's clear on entry that the qualifying spots will be allocated in this way rather than a straight 2 at each final. If they haven't anticipated this scenario, and included it in their conditions, it's a bit poor to change it at the 11th hour, IMO.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
But they knew the numbers who had entered way back in June, when the knockout stages started, why didn't they make this decision then? they also did the North/South split. If they had made the decision back then there could have been no complaints, but to find out 6 days before the regionals that only one place would be up for grab isn't really fair on the ones who are playing, after all it isn't our fault that people couldn't play.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But they knew the numbers who had entered way back in June, when the knockout stages started, why didn't they make this decision then? they also did the North/South split. If they had made the decision back then there could have been no complaints, but to find out 6 days before the regionals that only one place would be up for grab isn't really fair on the ones who are playing, after all it isn't our fault that people couldn't play.

That's a fair point, as is FD's.

So you just need to make sure you win!

What exactly is included for reaching the final?

D

Deleted member 16999

Do you know how many were in the Northern and Southern Finals prior to the withdrawls?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flights and accommodation for 5 days in Portugal plus 3 rounds of golf and the overall winners will play with Darren Clarke in the Portuguese Masters Pro Am

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Flights and accommodation for 5 days in Portugal plus 3 rounds of golf and the overall winners will play with Darren Clarke in the Portuguese Masters Pro Am

Genuine question, can someone explain to me how that stays within the Rules of Amateur Status?
I see a lot of this type of thing here in Europe, "Grand Final in Dubai" etc....

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just reread an email I received last Friday congratulating the qualifers and stating the top 2 pairs on the day will go to Portugal, so this decision has only been made in the last few days.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have just reread an email I received last Friday congratulating the qualifers and stating the top 2 pairs on the day will go to Portugal, so this decision has only been made in the last few days.
Was it equal numbers prior to withdrawls, if so it seems unfair, would've they made the same decision on the day if the same people just didn't turn up?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps they have based their decision on finalists pulling out. They wouldn't have known that back in June ? How many finalists are there in the Northern area actually playing, compared to how many qualified ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What does the competition rules say in the small print. Seems distinctly unfair to the Northerners and two qualifying spots hardly seems excessive for what I imagine will still be a reasonably sized field

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bottom line is, all these things are merely commercial ventures, so they can do what they want unfortunately.

I'm more interested in the Amateur Status issue...