Is this fair ?

A

Alex1975

For sure he had an advantage but that's what it's all about hu... Could you have played the day before?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
they could leave the pins in the same place for a month and i still wouldnt shoot any better ;)

im sure the 66 guy didnt like the front place pins either. im actually trying to train myself to shy away from attacking really front pins. they really are sucker pins. stick it on the middle of the green. two putts and move on is my game plan. its really hard to stick to though.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If it's in the rules then it's not unfair - in my book.

You could tell me to the centimeter where each pin is and I don't think it would make the slightest bit of difference. I don't think it would for him either. One lame drive and he wouldn't have won, maybe he holed some monster putts or chipped in after missing the greens altogether. I'd just concede that he played a quite outstanding round.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Hang on a minute. I know I said he's still got to hit the shots but this is a scratch handicap golfer we are talking about not a mid handicapper. He could pretty much put the ball where he wants and would have learnt from any mistakes he made the previous day. There must have been at least two or three errors of judgement.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hang on a minute. I know I said he's still got to hit the shots but this is a scratch handicap golfer we are talking about not a mid handicapper. He could pretty much put the ball where he wants and would have learnt from any mistakes he made the previous day.

Your perception of a scratch golfer is waaay above the reality - Tiger Woods plays off something ridiculous like +9 and yet his proximity to the hole is probably something like 8yds (24ft) - he also misses greens short, off the back and seems to be in the bunker quite a lot. I'm sure there's also a stat for missed greens from 130yds or something like that.

Tiger

Money List Winner
Your perception of a scratch golfer is waaay above the reality - Tiger Woods plays off something ridiculous like +9 and yet his proximity to the hole is probably something like 8yds (24ft) - he also misses greens short, off the back and seems to be in the bunker quite a lot. I'm sure there's also a stat for missed greens from 130yds or something like that.

I'm thinking more along the lines of hitting a similar drive to the day before on a par 4, flushing a 7 iron and coming up short so the following day thinking I'll take a club more. Not I need to land the ball on that square foot of green so the ball releases to the hole

EDIT: Or I had a similar putt to this yesterday and it broke a couple of inches more than I was expecting.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure it would make that much difference to be honest. Off of scratch he's more than capable of shooting 66 on any given day at any course. And I should imagine he's played your and other courses in similar condition enough to know how to play it.

I see the guy who came second shot 78 off 12 and wouldn't have played the previous day. When it's your day, it's your day.

EDIT: I was also encouraged by these scores from the morning round...

80 off +2
79 off +3
80 off +3
85 off +2
88 off +2

When it's not your day, it's not your day :D

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another point, playing in the salver didn't help the 1 handicapper who shot 77\77 in the SS and 83 in your comp. like I said, when it's your day it's your day. When it's not it not.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not sure it would make that much difference to be honest. Off of scratch he's more than capable of shooting 66 on any given day at any course. And I should imagine he's played your and other courses in similar condition enough to know how to play it.

I see the guy who came second shot 78 off 12 and wouldn't have played the previous day. When it's your day, it's your day.

EDIT: I was also encouraged by these scores from the morning round...

80 off +2
79 off +3
80 off +3
85 off +2
88 off +2

When it's not your day, it's not your day :D

when I first started playing in 36 hole scratch competitions I was nervous of showing myself up. However, every comp I've been to has people from +h/caps to 4 all either NR'ing or shooting mid to high 80's......isnt this why we love golf

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
when I first started playing in 36 hole scratch competitions I was nervous of showing myself up. However, every comp I've been to has people from +h/caps to 4 all either NR'ing or shooting mid to high 80's......isnt this why we love golf

I shoot 40pts more often than I should............ and 25pts at every forum meet :mad:

Expectation - it's a leveller :p

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting comments, and forget sour grapes as in my opinion it is fair, because he entered under the rules of the competition. I do think a scratch player does have an advantage playing a course twice the day before, with the same course set up though. It must be, whether he plays well is another matter, and everyone has good days and bad. Knowing the greens are firm, knowing where to leave the ball under the hole, knowing the line on some putts, may not help the average player, but a scratch player it certainly does. You still have to take advantage, but as I said at the beginning it was a discussion in the Clubhouse, and bearing in mind I finished 40th made no difference to my day.

Made a change from discussing the best ball/driver/hybrid/ shoes etc, but hopefully we can get back on to those topics soon.:whistle:;)

Tiger

Money List Winner
Interesting comments, and forget sour grapes as in my opinion it is fair, because he entered under the rules of the competition. I do think a scratch player does have an advantage playing a course twice the day before, with the same course set up though. It must be, whether he plays well is another matter, and everyone has good days and bad. Knowing the greens are firm, knowing where to leave the ball under the hole, knowing the line on some putts, may not help the average player, but a scratch player it certainly does. You still have to take advantage, but as I said at the beginning it was a discussion in the Clubhouse, and bearing in mind I finished 40th made no difference to my day.

Made a change from discussing the best ball/driver/hybrid/ shoes etc, but hopefully we can get back on to those topics soon.:whistle:;)

:thup:

and as for the last line... :rofl:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

It's a very good post Rich (unusually) ;)

We should keep it going longer and establish things like 'Does he REALLY know the line on some putts?' I can miss the same putt lots and lots of times (else I'd hole everything on the practice green and go home!)

...and was he REALLY able to leave the ball in EXACTLY the same place as the day before? Hmmmmm...... :mmm: