Is this fair ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a very good post Rich (unusually) ;)

We should keep it going longer and establish things like 'Does he REALLY know the line on some putts?' I can miss the same putt lots and lots of times (else I'd hole everything on the practice green and go home!)

...and was he REALLY able to leave the ball in EXACTLY the same place as the day before? Hmmmmm...... :mmm:

You know our greens James when they are quick. You need to leave the ball under the hole. I would mention that the golfer that won is as long as Swinger off the tee.:eek: He would have had a lot of wedges in to the pins which I reckon he could put fairly close to where he wanted. The pin on the 5th was where Bob had his problems. I was five feet short putting for par and had no chance of stopping the ball within 6 feet if I missed the first one. I did ! If I had played the hole before I would have made sure I was on the low side of the hole.

Not so much the lines on the green, but the advantage on knowing where to leave the ball on the green is not beyond a scratch player ? As I said before I don't think playing the course would be much advantage to the likes of you and me, but a good player ?:whistle:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Could it not be a good idea then, when there are greens you cannot clearly see, to have a board with pin positions on? Just a suggestion!
We had pin positions sheets. No problem with how the course played for the majority, my question was based on was it an advantage to a scratch player, to play the course the day before, same pins etc. I think it was, but for the majority probably not.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting comments, and forget sour grapes as in my opinion it is fair, because he entered under the rules of the competition. I do think a scratch player does have an advantage playing a course twice the day before, with the same course set up though. It must be, whether he plays well is another matter, and everyone has good days and bad. Knowing the greens are firm, knowing where to leave the ball under the hole, knowing the line on some putts, may not help the average player, but a scratch player it certainly does. You still have to take advantage, but as I said at the beginning it was a discussion in the Clubhouse, and bearing in mind I finished 40th made no difference to my day.

Made a change from discussing the best ball/driver/hybrid/ shoes etc, but hopefully we can get back on to those topics soon.:whistle:;)

I'm interested, what ball did the scratch golfer use? :whistle: