Is this a hole in one?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So whilst reviewing a set of irons a YouTuber hit 5 shots & one goes in.
He’s claiming a ace.
Definitely not a hole in one for me.
Thoughts?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So whilst reviewing a set of irons a YouTuber hit 5 shots & one goes in.
He’s claiming a ace.
Definitely not a hole in one for me.
Thoughts?

Watched that vid today, and to be fair, I think he conceded it wasn't a genuine hole in one in the comments when people quite rightly said it wasn't.

It was a great shot, but i's not an ace.

D

Deleted member 29109

It was his 2nd shot.
Still no. Can’t remember if I’ve told this story before.

Playing in an inter club match. On our 4th my opponent hit his tee shot OB. He holed his second shot giving him a par and a half on the hole. He thought that it was a HiO and that he won the hole. No amount of me trying to explain it was 3 would convince him.

We ended having to find the captains and get them to confirm he got a 3.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Playing in an inter club match. On our 4th my opponent hit his tee shot OB. He holed his second shot giving him a par and a half on the hole. He thought that it was a HiO and that he won the hole. No amount of me trying to explain it was 3 would convince him.

How could he think that?? Did he have total amnesia and forget the first one he hit??

Side question, if you hole a provisional does it immediately cease to be a provisional when it goes in?? Or could your opponent still find your ball within 3 minutes and really ruin your day?

On the topic - I wouldn't say it counts as a genuine hole in one unless it was the first attempt, and I'd even say it has to be part of an actual round of golf to count as well.

D

Deleted member 29109

How could he think that?? Did he have total amnesia and forget the first one he hit??

Side question, if you hole a provisional does it immediately cease to be a provisional when it goes in?? Or could your opponent still find your ball within 3 minutes and really ruin your day?

On the topic - I wouldn't say it counts as a genuine hole in one unless it was the first attempt, and I'd even say it has to be part of an actual round of golf to count as well.

He genuinely thought that holing out from the tee was a hole in one. I think he was just a bit excited by it to be fair to him. Once he calmed down and the captains explained it to him he accepted it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

I believe that you need to get to the hole and pick the ball out of the hole before your opponent finds your first ball.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
OP - IMO he's holed out while practicing, that's all

Just exploring boundaries here; three mates are playing golf, not for handicap submission, mulligans, gimmies and dropping for lost ball have happened on earlier holes...

One of the 3-ball holes their initial tee shot on 17th par 3

Is it a hole in one or holed while practicing?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Just exploring boundaries here; three mates are playing golf, not for handicap submission, mulligans, gimmies and dropping for lost ball have happened on earlier holes...

It's an ace. The main point being a hole in one needs to be your first shot on the hole.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm a bit weird, but if this was me I wouldn't consider it a hole in one....even though it technically is...
In my weird head, a bad shot/swing that turns out good is still a crap shot.

The last hole in one I saw was a playing partner who thinned his tee shot....I made a comment about that possibly being one of those lucky "bad" shots....in it went.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's an ace. The main point being a hole in one needs to be your first shot on the hole.

I'd probably agree, as i say just exploring boundaries.... Guy lives by the 17th par 3 and takes half a dozen balls to practice that hole on his own just before the sun goes down
  • He holes the 1st shot; Hole in one or holed while practicing?
  • He then plays the other 5 balls without repeating the feat still a Hole in one or holed while practicing ?
  • Does it make any difference to either scenario if there is a witness/2nd player?
Just chatting for fun you understand .... (y)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Okay I didn't explicitly write "practicing on the hole", although implied by the OP and that a HIO applies to a single hole.
In your case, if they holed their first tee shot, no mulligans, then all good I'd say.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Okay I didn't explicitly write "practicing on the hole", although implied by the OP and that a HIO applies to a single hole.
In your case, if they holed their first tee shot, no mulligans, then all good I'd say.

Yeah all good. I knew you meant the OP scenario (y) was just convenient to use your post to expand on 'practice' in to other scenarios

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd probably agree, as i say just exploring boundaries.... Guy lives by the 17th par 3 and takes half a dozen balls to practice that hole on his own just before the sun goes down
  • He holes the 1st shot; Hole in one or holed while practicing?
  • He then plays the other 5 balls without repeating the feat still a Hole in one or holed while practicing ?
  • Does it make any difference to either scenario if there is a witness/2nd player?
Just chatting for fun you understand .... (y)
For me any time you hole your first shot on any given hole it's an ace. The key being first shot ....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For me any time you hole your first shot on any given hole it's an ace. The key being first shot ....

Again I think I'm on board with your thinking.. now I'm gonna be devilish.. How much time do you reckon needs to elapse between playing 2 'first shots' for the 2nd one to count as a hole in one if its holed :LOL:
i.e practice the same hole before and after lunch? Y/N
play next hole then go back to the par 3? Y/N
Stay where you are and have a sandwich/coffee between shots Y/N
Stop for a fag break between shots Y/N

Gawd I wish I was out on the course right now ;)

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site

Did he think he got a mulligan on the OB shot? ?