Is this a bit flat

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
I've been struggling for a few rounds and just can't seem to get any consistency. Striking not great, pushing a few, hooking a few.

I think I might be swinging a bit flat and need to stand it up a bit more in the backswing. I seem to be trying to manipulate it a lot through imapact.

How does this look?

https://youtube.com/shorts/eRl20su3krw

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a bit hard to see any details as I can't enlarge the video but I'd say the swing isn't too flat.
Inconsistency in direction is almost always caused by a grip issue. Normally, a weak left hand and a strong right hand.
Get someone to check your grip would be my advice and leave the swing alone.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
It's a bit hard to see any details as I can't enlarge the video but I'd say the swing isn't too flat.
Inconsistency in direction is almost always caused by a grip issue. Normally, a weak left hand and a strong right hand.
Get someone to check your grip would be my advice and leave the swing alone.
Cheers Bobmac, you’re a star, and thanks Maninblack. Funnily enogh I was practising yesterday and did discover just how much I could change both the initial direction and curve of shot by changing the grip. Again Bobmac remarkably I do easily slip into weak left and strong right! Cheers folks???

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have this very problem it’s easy to just fall back into bad habits.
I bought a training device £10 that clips on to your grip like a training grip.
(SKLZ training grip.!)
It’s great for reinforcing your changes.
I Put it on an old club and just swing in the garden.
It’s amazing how far out your grip can get.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
not sure if it's the angle of the camera but your feet line seem to be aiming well right of the target line on the screen. can't tell where your shoulders are lined up though

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've done a lot of freeze-framing and zooming-in.
Bobmac is correct that your right hand is a bit strong.
This causes you to have a lack of cock of the wrists in the backswing resulting in the feeling of a flat swing that you describe.
From a very closed position at the start of the downswing, you move very much in-to-out, but then have to spin your whole body to get the clubface square at impact.
This is the feeling of manipulating it that you describe.
The spinning motion continues as can be seen by your left foot turning to point toward the hole and your right foot sliding a good 12 inches to the right as we look.
You will sometimes meet the ball with an open clubface producing a push with the in-to-out swing.
You will sometimes overdo the spinning motion producing a hook.
If you do as Bobmac says and get your grip checked all the above may change.
You must then get used to a little bit more cock of the wrists rather than rolling of the wrists and a feeling of the clubhead going a bit more "up" than "round" your body.
This will help you get that feeling of "standing up" a bit more that you desire.
You will then not need to swing so much in-to-out and more down-the-line.
You will need to stop spinning through impact as will will no longer need to.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
I've done a lot of freeze-framing and zooming-in.
Bobmac is correct that your right hand is a bit strong.
This causes you to have a lack of cock of the wrists in the backswing resulting in the feeling of a flat swing that you describe.
From a very closed position at the start of the downswing, you move very much in-to-out, but then have to spin your whole body to get the clubface square at impact.
This is the feeling of manipulating it that you describe.
The spinning motion continues as can be seen by your left foot turning to point toward the hole and your right foot sliding a good 12 inches to the right as we look.
You will sometimes meet the ball with an open clubface producing a push with the in-to-out swing.
You will sometimes overdo the spinning motion producing a hook.
If you do as Bobmac says and get your grip checked all the above may change.
You must then get used to a little bit more cock of the wrists rather than rolling of the wrists and a feeling of the clubhead going a bit more "up" than "round" your body.
This will help you get that feeling of "standing up" a bit more that you desire.
You will then not need to swing so much in-to-out and more down-the-line.
You will need to stop spinning through impact as will will no longer need to.

Cheers Voyager,

i’ll sort my grip out and ingrain it a bit. I think I can feel when it’s right. My right hand seems to incase my left thumb much better it I roll it over a bit.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Bobmac, Voyager,

you’re awesome!!! Thank you so much!

just had a session at the range. That’s definitely the answer. Slightly more in the fingers of left hand, what feels much weaker in my right hand, fingers and then really roll ’the pad’ over my left thumb. Stand it up in the backswing.

no faffing or manipulation on the downswing just make sure ball first with irons, and get through it with the driver.

Amazing difference. I can really tell when it gets behind me (I hook it). Obviously, it’ll take a couple of sessions to ingrain it But we’re on the right lines. Thank you very much???

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bobmac, Voyager,

you’re awesome!!! Thank you so much!

just had a session at the range. That’s definitely the answer. Slightly more in the fingers of left hand, what feels much weaker in my right hand, fingers and then really roll ’the pad’ over my left thumb. Stand it up in the backswing.

no faffing or manipulation on the downswing just make sure ball first with irons, and get through it with the driver.

Amazing difference. I can really tell when it gets behind me (I hook it). Obviously, it’ll take a couple of sessions to ingrain it But we’re on the right lines. Thank you very much???

Glad to help.
Just keep checking your grip, if you can't see your left thumb, you should be all right. (y)