is there a drill to cure me of my annoying problem?

john74

Hacker
Visit site
at the moment im playing quite well but every so often maybe 4 shots per round im slicing because im coming down on the ball at too steep an angle. i dont know if i just lose concentration but every now and then it ingrains itself into my game and i cant figure out how to stop it.
if i make a rounded swing then everything is fine but as soon as i just go up then down at a steep angle the club face is way too open at the moment of impact. any ideas anyone?

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
The slice is till the thorn in my game, as bad as 9/13 drives on my last round were sliced badly. I shift my hips to the left during my down swing, and cut across ther ball with the club face.

On my last lesson at the range the pro advsied me to keep my weight on my right hand side, and imagine I was sweeping the ball away, also I had to try and hit the ball left. After about 30 mins practise, I'd cracked it. But back on the course, slice comes back like nobody's business. Or I smash a hook to the left !

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The slice is till the thorn in my game, as bad as 9/13 drives on my last round were sliced badly. I shift my hips to the left during my down swing, and cut across ther ball with the club face.

Here's a drill that will help you stop the out to in swing.
Stand up straight and hold the club straight out in front of you. Imagine you are going to hit a ball at shoulder height. As you swing the club back lower the hands and club about 6 inches. Then when you swing up to the ball, try and finish with your hands and club 6 inches above where the ball was. Think 'low to high' Do that a few times and then when you feel you can do it, gradually bend from the hips until the club starts to brush the grass. You should now feel the club going in to out.
HTH :D

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi john74,
i suffered with this for a bit and heres my view
i had too much of a strong grip on the cluband mostly in the palms..
if you lay the driver head on the groung behind the ball take your normal stance . now move your right foot back slightly to where the toe of your shoe is just in line with either the ball or the arch of youre left foot.
as you look at the butt of the club rotate both of your hands clockwise and re grip the club
this worked for me.. not saying it''ll cure you but its worth a shot.....