Is there a doctor in the house ?

barry610

Club Champion
Visit site
As the title says i'm looking for a bit of medical or physiotherapy advice.
For the past 8 weeks i've had tendonitus in both of my wrists , i've been to the doctor and she gave me the usual anti-inflamatory pills but they havent shifted it one bit.Can any of you tell me if you have had the same problem ,or if any of you have any professional experience in this field ,ie.is there any strengthening exercise that i could do to help (no that makes you go blind :D).Any help will be most appreciated as it 's starting p*ss me off as i can't play golf as much as i would like.

Cheers
Barry

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
If the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories are not working after a period of 8 weeks though it may be pertinent to request a scan/xray to rule out other possible problems or indeed ask for cortisone injections.

Thats what I would do.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A good strength exercise is to grab a club and hold it out parrell to the floor and then hinge your wrist so that the club head is pointing to the ceiling. It is best to do this sitting down, on the side of a bed etc. Do 20 reps twice a day should give you strong wrists after a while.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm NOT a doctor.....but tendonitis is common in musicians.

...in my experience, it will take a long time to calm down, musicians take 2-3 months down-time before even trying to play again....most take fish oils and have to permanently alter their habits, i.e. no more excessive practice....they get by on the minimum...

I've never heard of doing any specific exercises whilst the inflammation is current, I guess your best bet would be to sign up to a forum or read as much as possible on the 'net.

Good Luck.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,
i found a site when i was looking to sort my Tennis Elbow without going to the docs. This site has helped me get rid of both Tennis and Golfers elobow. It gives suggested exercises in good detail for many complaints.
Hope it helps:

www.physioroom.com/injuries/hand_and_wrist/index.php
I should add that both complaints had a period of resting and wearing supports before exercising began.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Im not a doctor either but have suffered with damaged ligaments between the fourth and fifth metacarple as well as periods of carpel tunnel syndrome.

Only thing I can offer is:-

In the short run - give it time and rest

In the medium term- physiotherapy

If the condition remains - orthopaedic consultation

good luck

bill

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont get on here much these days but this prompted me to say something.

Do all you can to stay away from cortisone!!!!!!!

It is ok in very very small doses but you must insist that your Dr refers you to a consultant.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Dont get on here much these days but this prompted me to say something.

Do all you can to stay away from cortisone!!!!!!!

It is ok in very very small doses but you must insist that your Dr refers you to a consultant.

Cortisone did wonders for me so cant knock it whatsoever.

It isnt a permanent solution but the relief afforded by it is great.

barry610

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks very much for all of your help it's much appreciated, i doubt very much that i would go down the cortison route as i feel thats a bit extreme , also couldn't find anything on the Physioroom website that relates to tendonitus so it's looking like i'll give it a bit more rest and keep popping the pills for a bit longer , if that doesn't work i'll go back to the quack and ask to see a physiotherapist.
Anymore suggestions would be more than welcome as i'm open to ideas.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried voltorolfor various things, doesn't work for me. Though a standard ibruprofen gel does afford some relief from pain.

I've been offered cortisone injection for my wrists but turned it down point blank. Have heard too many bad things about them.

Rest painkillers/anti-inflamitories like paracetamol or ibruprofen, in pills & or gell. Oh & Some gentle excercise.

Ironically it was taking golf up that was the gentle excercise I needed.

Perhaps a little putting & chipping whilst recovering might be the order of the day as excercise. There are hand excersises you can do too. You'll find they are something you'll automatically do to stave off the pain & pins'n'needles.

Though not tried acupuncture yet for anything, I ave heard very good things about it especially for backpain.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tried voltorolfor various things, doesn't work for me. Though a standard ibruprofen gel does afford some relief from pain.

The proprietary Voltarol you get over the counter, although still diclofenac based, is not a patch on the version the quack can prescribe.

The prescription only version is frighteningly good although to be used sparingly IMHO as something that works that well can't be good in the long run....says the man with with a lifetime commitment to steroid-based asthma medication
:D