Is there a difference between 56° wedge and a sand wedge

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi just wandering if there is a difference, as I don't have a standard sand wedge but use a callaway MD4 , is there a difference in bounce etc?

Those that know about these things will probably say that it depends upon the bounce you'd want for a sand wedge and the bounce of your 56* wedge. I am guessing that there is no reason for them not to be the same - but they could just as easy be quite different. My 56* wedge is also my sand wedge.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use different wedges in the green side bunkers depending on the condition of the sand.

Once upon a time a SW as apart of a set was around 56 degree of loft and between 10 and 14 degrees of bounce (when squared up).

Nowadays a SW is the one that gets you out of your bunkers effectively!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use different wedges in the green side bunkers depending on the condition of the sand.

Once upon a time a SW as apart of a set was around 56 degree of loft and between 10 and 14 degrees of bounce (when squared up).

Nowadays a SW is the one that gets you out of your bunkers effectively!

this...

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
My 55° wedge is my sand wedge but I use all 3 off my wedges depending on bunker, high bunkers that I need the extra hight will be my 60 and the 50/55 if I want some run

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a 51 degree wedge with minus 2 degree bounce and the narrowest sole you are ever likely to see on a wedge but it has SW on it.

Wedges are all about what you do with them given the lie and location.

PS the above was bought as a bare lies wedge for links golf. Great out of really hard compacted sand which has no depth and fairways with no or virtually no grass.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hi just wandering if there is a difference, as I don't have a standard sand wedge but use a callaway MD4 , is there a difference in bounce etc?

Probably about £39.99

Might be mistaken but I have a feeling many golfers would happily pay more for a club stamped 56° than they would for a SW of similar spec :p