Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mr Average to scratch in 12 month?

I doubt it but then again nothing is impossible just some things are harder to achieve than others this being one of them :)

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Question for you Andr3w...

Do you think that hand-eye coordination is innate in people, or solely a learned skill?

Feel like I'm being set up to get this wrong. If it is inherited then why does mine appear to be so much better than both my parents? Did I get a mutation for hand-eye coordination? What we refer to as reactions or hand-eye coordination really tend to be domain specific skills that are developed with experience in that domain. They can of course be transferred somewhat to other, similar domains.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again you're making blindingly simplistic comparisons. The entire development of a human being from birth until into adulthood cannot be summed up with "do the same training".

Are you a politician?

Your argument keeps changing to keep yourself ahead, is it that just me or have others noticed it?

Your opinion all boils around if you work hard and train hard then 2 people that have exactly the same training will achieve the same level if they are committed. I respect that as your opinion, because I prefer to debate things than just shout each other down, I love a good old debate.

To then reply to a post though saying that it is not all about just training them self, surely is a contradiction to your original argument. You originally made the point that there is nothing such as natural ability, it is something you practice and train to do.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you a politician?

Your argument keeps changing to keep yourself ahead, is it that just me or have others noticed it?

Your opinion all boils around if you work hard and train hard then 2 people that have exactly the same training will achieve the same level if they are committed. I respect that as your opinion, because I prefer to debate things than just shout each other down, I love a good old debate.

To then reply to a post though saying that it is not all about just training them self, surely is a contradiction to your original argument. You originally made the point that there is nothing such as natural ability, it is something you practice and train to do.

The point was that you could only ever get 2 people to have the exact same lives in theory. In reality there's any number of reasons why their performances might diverge as they go through life. If you read previous posts by myself and Snelly you'll see that those that reach the very very top have lived through a unique set of circumstances. They are the 25 reds in a row, the winning lotto ticket. With a big enough sample someone will win the lottery. Likewise someone will have the best parents, the best natural physical attributes, the best coaching, the best advice, the best environment, the best funding, not get injured, have no distractions... the list is endless. Claiming this statistical inevitability as some weird undiscovered evolutionary mutation of golf/tennis/whatever gene is just plain wrong!

D

Deleted member 15344

With the simple arguments you're making I'm not entirely surprised, sorry if that sounds harsh.

Certainly is a low blow with the handbag

Think MadAdey is spot on about you being a politician - avoiding direct questions , sly digs and trying to sound clever

Genetics differ in us all - we all have natural talents and abilities for certain things in life

Some people try and hone and polish that talent to get the best out themselves but you need the talent there in the first place if you want to really succeed in one area

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Certainly is a low blow with the handbag

Think MadAdey is spot on about you being a politician - avoiding direct questions , sly digs and trying to sound clever

Genetics differ in us all - we all have natural talents and abilities for certain things in life

Some people try and hone and polish that talent to get the best out themselves but you need the talent there in the first place if you want to really succeed in one area

If you say so.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The point was that you could only ever get 2 people to have the exact same lives in theory. In reality there's any number of reasons why their performances might diverge as they go through life. If you read previous posts by myself and Snelly you'll see that those that reach the very very top have lived through a unique set of circumstances. They are the 25 reds in a row, the winning lotto ticket. With a big enough sample someone will win the lottery. Likewise someone will have the best parents, the best natural physical attributes, the best coaching, the best advice, the best environment, the best funding, not get injured, have no distractions... the list is endless. Claiming this statistical inevitability as some weird undiscovered evolutionary mutation of golf/tennis/whatever gene is just plain wrong!

But surely using the Murray brothers is the best example. From exactly the same parents, with their mum coaching both children so they had exactly the same support and nurturing. One has won Wimbledon, one hasn't. Was it that Andy had a desire and determination that his brother didn't? So there was a natural mental aspect to Andy that enabled him to become the better player.

What I would say is that no one really knows what it is that makes an elite sportsman. It can't be argued that good practice plays a large part. But surely you need that natural state of mind and determination to succeed, along with right physical attributes. I would have more chance of being a pro rugby player than a jockey, but that is my natural physical make up. There is no way that I could for all the training in the world become a champion jockey. Likewise someone who is 5 foot would never be an NBA player.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
you don't have to be a world beater to have a little natural talent! jebus! :rolleyes:

They're just easier subjects to discuss as they're at the extreme end of the spectrum and we can all research about their lives and how they got there. Rather than "my mate down the pub who never practises and is off 5"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've already said on here I don't think the OP will do it and I remain unchanged in that. All this mumbo jumbo about genetics, training et al ridiculous. With a good coach, big balance for range balls and lessons and as much time as possible to devote to it, a decent single figure handicap is definitely in range. A level par round depends on so many variables though and human engineering isn't one of them.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've already said on here I don't think the OP will do it and I remain unchanged in that. All this mumbo jumbo about genetics, training et al ridiculous. With a good coach, big balance for range balls and lessons and as much time as possible to devote to it, a decent single figure handicap is definitely in range. A level par round depends on so many variables though and human engineering isn't one of them.

Sorry but surely to even get to single figures you need to be able to swing a golf club relatively well and that movement requires good human engineering.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
give him a chance, its only 2mths and he did a +15 2 weeks ago, so def sign its on the right track:whistle: