Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes you can do it with no problem. I've shot 4 under rounds when my handicap was 14. Many years ago now mind you. Happy to be in the 80tys now.

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I watched a program with Alice Cooper the other day. He went from having never played golf to a 9 handicap in 12 months.

He played 36 holes a day with 2 different sets of golf pro's.

G

guest100718

I wonder how close to his goal he has got so far? Or if he is even till trying.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest he's still trying or has given up, for many of us a level par or sub par comp round is a holy grail of golf and less likely than a hole in one

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tough challenge though. Glad I seen this thread definitely going to read john richardsons book. Even if in doing so brings down his handicap a worthwhile exercise

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you would honestly need a pro friend to coach you daily, but a lot would come down to your understanding of the game in areas such as course management .

I don't think its that hard to get to high single figures quickly, I think looking below 6 is when a lot of skill is involved....

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you would honestly need a pro friend to coach you daily, but a lot would come down to your understanding of the game in areas such as course management .

I don't think its that hard to get to high single figures quickly, I think looking below 6 is when a lot of skill is involved....

This will always be my take too. Playing to 9 you can still have bad shots and mess up the odd hole or 2 as long as you have enough good ones or drop a couple of birdies in.

Playing to scratch, if you have a triple bogey then your round is more or less over, unless you have it in you to make 14 pars and 3 birdies for the rest of the round. To play to scratch I still believe that there are things in golf that you learn over time like how to put a score together, because at some point your are going to need to scramble to make a score on a hole.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This will always be my take too. Playing to 9 you can still have bad shots and mess up the odd hole or 2 as long as you have enough good ones or drop a couple of birdies in.

Playing to scratch, if you have a triple bogey then your round is more or less over, unless you have it in you to make 14 pars and 3 birdies for the rest of the round. To play to scratch I still believe that there are things in golf that you learn over time like how to put a score together, because at some point your are going to need to scramble to make a score on a hole.

9 and scratch are millions of miles apart.

Whilst I agree that most guys in cat 1 have a triple bogey their game is pretty much done but I played with our club record holder when he shot it and he had 2 double bogeys on his card and shot 8 under.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
9 and scratch are millions of miles apart.

Whilst I agree that most guys in cat 1 have a triple bogey their game is pretty much done but I played with our club record holder when he shot it and he had 2 double bogeys on his card and shot 8 under.

But I bet he was an experienced golfer that has the knowledge of how to recover from the slip ups.

9 and scratch are not even in the same ball park. You do not need birdies to play to 9 just lots of pars. To play level par your going to drop a shot somewhere so birdies will be needed.