Realistic expectations for a beginner golfer

Visit site
Hi, I only joined here the other night so go easy on the newbie. Apologies also if this is a subject discussed before.

I picked up a club for the very first time at the age of 35 on the Sunday of this years Open. I've always loved watching the Majors and I thought to myself 'I could do that'! 2 hours later after borrowing a set and midway through a round at the local clubs 9 hole course with my brother I realised I couldn't! Not even remotely close!

I loved it though and definitely got the bug. As a guy unable to play football any longer due to injury and the big increase in weight I've gained brought not playing it's ideal to stay active and learn a new sport. Within a month I became a 9 hole member of the course (Greenock Golf Club) and got myself my own clubs, bag, balls, clothes, shoes etc. Through August and September I played 4 times a week and my scores gradually came down from mid sixties to mid 40s (par 32), bearing in mind it's a pretty short course. My plan for 2016 is to continue as a 9 hole member, play as much as possible and hopefully improve so that I'll become a full member in 2017 and play medals etc on the full course. I'm expecting a handicap of 24 whenever I submit my cards, hopefully be the end of February.

Im sorry for rambling on but what would be realistic goals to achieve in the short and long term and what is the best way to achieve them? I realise I'm not ever going to be a scratch golfer but would a handicap of 12-15 be something remotely achievable in say 3 years, or possible in shorter/longer? I've also had one lesson with Paul McDonald at Bishopbriggs golf range and will be booking 5 more in the next day or so. I've noticed an improvement just from that one lesson but how much can you improve with 5 more? Hopefully he can fit me in every fortnight to 3 weeks. I just was hoping to know what's a realistic and achievable goal to aim for.

I just wish I had taken up the sport 25 years ago! Santa also brought my eldest son, 14 today, a junior membership for Greenock also as he's got the bug as well!

sorry again for rambling. Thanks in advance and I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and great New Year!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Welcome friend, like myself your a late starter and how rapidly you advance will depend on how often you play as this most excellent of games like many others is all about practice but on the other hand how far you advance will depend a lot on your natural ability, some people can, some people can with a wee bit of practice and others just can't, it all depends on what category you fall into !

One thing I will insist though is that you must always enjoy it, if you stop enjoying it or start to take it to seriously then your doing something wrong, always remember 'It's a game to be enjoyed not endured' good luck !...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum, keep posting and join in all the chat!

I think lots of us took up golf when football or cricket passed us by, and it is a fantastic game, but pretty difficult to learn. So lessons, play as much and practice a lot is the key to a lower handicap or just enjoy the game and don't unduly worry about the handicap is another way to take up the sport.

If you work hard you will undoubtedly get a handicap in the low teens, in my opinion, within a few years and who knows how low you could go? When you feel able, we have really good forum meets around the country where people here join in with games and meet up with others on the forum and I personally haven't been to one that hasn't been great fun. So stick around, get involved and welcome along!

D

Deleted member 16999

Welcome along mate, as others have said, to begin with just enjoy it, an issue some golfers have(and I'm one of them) is to put too much pressure on yourself,
Like you've said your doing, have your lessons and continue to play and improve, almost try and not set any goals apart from improving and enjoying it, some exceed expectations and some fail to reach them, give yourself the 12 months from when you started and your lessons and your pro will guide you, then set realistic targets, you may be a natural and surprise yourself, good luck and all the best for the New Year.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would look at getting your handicap and playing in comps asap. It will give you the opportunity to measure your progress. It will also highlight your weakness's and strengths. Welcome.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You seem to be doing all of the right things.
A couple of tips from an auld yin.

Don't get too hung up on scores.
Concentrate instead on counting good shots.
Once you start hitting 15 to 20 good shots in a round you will be well on your way.
BTW a 'good shot' is not a totally thinned 5 iron that bounces of the back of a bunker and finishes a yard from the flagstick.

Always be truthful with yourself about scoring in practice, all shots count, and you will probably be in for a shock when you start scoring in competitions. The game is much harder with a pencil and card in your hand.

Remember when you start playing in competitions to be respectful to your playing partners. They want to enjoy playing with you.
Do some homework on the basic rules and etiquette.
Good luck and enjoy playing this great game

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome along to the forum. I grew up playing that 9 hole 'wee' course at Greenock GC as a junior almost 40 years ago (gulp) and can still remember every hole clearly. It is short but still a great place to learn to play round, so many 9-holers are just laid out on a flat field but yours has 9 different holes with challenges on each one. And magnificent views over the Clyde to keep your spirits up when the game has deserted you!

Good advice above which I won't repeat, but remember this game is hard and you WILL at points go backwards as well as forwards on your journey. You've done the most important smart thing in getting some lessons in early before bad habits get ingrained.

Have fun out there - see if you can putt it down the path onto the par 3 5th green as we used to try :)

Ian

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I realise I'm not ever going to be a scratch golfer but would a handicap of 12-15 be something remotely achievable in say 3 years, or possible in shorter/longer? I've also had one lesson with Paul McDonald at Bishopbriggs golf range and will be booking 5 more in the next day or so. I've noticed an improvement just from that one lesson but how much can you improve with 5 more? Hopefully he can fit me in every fortnight to 3 weeks. I just was hoping to know what's a realistic and achievable goal to aim for.

Hello. Yes, it's possible to develop that quickly but my advice is to just enjoy playing in as many competitions as possible and don't feel that you need to put off playing competitively until you get to a certain level. The handicap will take care of itself. The first couple of years playing will quite likely be the most fun, you'll improve quickly just by playing regularly. Learning to swing a golf club and learning to play the game competitively are quite different disciplines, one is physical the other is mental. Win a few comps, get called a bandit a few times and enjoy the honeymoon period.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
welcome to the site,
as regards your lessons ,spread them out a bit further, no more than one per month as you will need time to work on what the pro tells you ,if you have them too close together you will have too many thoughts going through your mind .

Lambchops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi mate, like yourself I only picked the clubs up aged 35 when I was forced to pack in football through injury - just finished my 2nd year playing and enjoy it more than ever. I use it first and foremost as a way to get out of the house/office and to enjoy myself in the fresh air with the lads and to meet new people - club comps are great in that respect. Also, due to having a 1 year old little boy I am restricted to playing only once a week so that also adds to my enjoyment - HC is 19 after 2 years so hopefully I keep enjoying it and as I get to play a bit more often I can get that down

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along and keep posting. I would say speak to your teaching pro, and discuss your goals. Get the basics right first and they'll give you a solid foundation to build your golf on. When you have the lessons, work on the drills you are given and don't change even if things don't go right properly. At the moment conditions are hard with courses being wet and muddy so don't lose heart if you play and don't score or play well. Now's the time to get the lesson and be ready for the Spring. Enjoy the journey

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just get out and play and make up for lost time. its never too late, i didn't start playing until i was 40 and had never touched a club before. got a 24 handicap to start with and was down to 12 within a few months. now off 5 and got down to 4 this year for a short while.

just get out and enjoy.

Visit site
Thanks lads, I appreciate you all taking the time to reply!

Im definitely going to just enjoy it and see what happens but I do want to try and get as good as I can at the game but not to the point where I'm not enjoying it.

Ill definitely look out for any forum meets that are close enough though I'd be wary of going and the peeving people off by being a high-handicap player holding people back.

fingers crossed for a change in the weather here to drier conditions and a good spring and summer.

Thanks again guys! All the best!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be wary of going and the peeving people off by being a high-handicap player holding people back.

That is a myth, well for 90% of nice social people it just is not true.

If you are playing golf with me you are my friend, regardless of ability.

It is actually poor etiquette that is the issue, if you cannot score and pace is slow pick up, most nice golfers will allow you to drop by the green and have a chip and putt if there is time (and its a social game) as we all like to hole out on every hole if we can.