Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Andr3w...

You seem to have missed or ignored the post about the maths...

I have a friend who is amazing at mental arithmetic. He has come from a very poor single parent family and has not been taught anything outside of school - not exactly the ideal environment, yet he was miles better than all the other educated kids in his class. Spookily good. You ask him how he's so good and the answer is "I don't know, I've just always found it easy.".

You are saying that there is no such thing as natural talent, it's all a product of their upbringing etc. Sure, there is research that proves this in some cases... but not ALL cases... they cannot possibly. I read Bounce, and really enjoyed it, but what I took from it was that given the right circumstances and practice, virtually anyone can become awesome at any activity. That's fair enough and I don't dispute it. But to say that's the only reason people get good at things, is crazy imo.

Sorry I missed that one, I do have a job to attend to as well unfortunately :)

Again, the plural of anecdote is not data!

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry but you still need a lot of natural ability to succeed in golf

I bet there are thousands of golfers out there that practise more than me ( zero hours for me ) and have more lessons than me ( zero lessons ) so they should have a better handicap than me ? Yes ?

I completely agree with this statement. People tend to get to where they should be handicap wise and will then move very little. If you are 30, been playing off 18-20 for 10 chances are you aint going to be a category 1 golfer.

Personally playing off 12/13, I see it as a big task getting down to single figures and I know if I did I'd need to do a lot of work to stay there.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I completely agree with this statement. People tend to get to where they should be handicap wise and will then move very little. If you are 30, been playing off 18-20 for 10 chances are you aint going to be a category 1 golfer.

Personally playing off 12/13, I see it as a big task getting down to single figures and I know if I did I'd need to do a lot of work to stay there.

And you never will, I agree, because you've decided you can't do it already and so won't take the steps necessary to do it as you don't believe they'll work. It's self-fulfilling.

D

Deleted member 15344

And you never will, I agree, because you've decided you can't do it already and so won't take the steps necessary to do it as you don't believe they'll work. It's self-fulfilling.

I'm guessing you don't want to answer my question

I started playing golf 5 and a half years ago and without lessons and practising regulary have got down to cat 1 - is that not a case of me having natural ability for the game ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I started playing golf 5 and a half years ago and without lessons and practising regulary have got down to cat 1 - is that not a case of me having natural ability for the game ?

Of course it's natural talent.

Same for me, I could hit a golf ball properly as a very small kid, without lessons, it was innate, natural ability.
I'm also a lazy sod, and that is why I haven't got very low - I don't practice and only play two or three times per month. But my handicap is lower than many people who play a lot, practice incessantly and care a lot more about the game than me.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I could also be a golfing wizard casting a spell on you to make you good at golf. The evidence for either is not available. Unless you have evidence for this 'natural ability' you refer to, it's purely an argument from ignorance.

D

Deleted member 15344

I could also be a golfing wizard casting a spell on you to make you good at golf. The evidence for either is not available. Unless you have evidence for this 'natural ability' you refer to, it's purely an argument from ignorance.

So how do I play golf to such a high standard for an amatuer without practise and lessons ?!

Why do I have a better handicap than people that practise every day and have lessons every week ?

My evidence is going from 24 to 5 in 5 years without a single lesson.

My future wife hadn't picked up a set of clubs for over 3 years - went round in 9 over par - because she has a natural ability for the sport.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've not read it so can't judge for myself, but why is Matthew Syed's book so definitively the correct answer. Why is he, a former wiff-waff player, the basis of fact?

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Of course it's natural talent.

Same for me, I could hit a golf ball properly as a very small kid, without lessons, it was innate, natural ability.
I'm also a lazy sod, and that is why I haven't got very low - I don't practice and only play two or three times per month. But my handicap is lower than many people who play a lot, practice incessantly and care a lot more about the game than me.

That's the proof of the pudding right there. You started early which is what we know helps hugely when learning anything!

Practising incessantly can easily translate to going to the range and just whacking balls and ingraining faults which is what we know most amateurs are very good at!

My handicap will be about the same when it comes in and I likewise will be about to maintain it without too much effort. Just as I can get on a bike after a decade not cycling and maintain exactly the same level as before. Along with every other skill I take for granted that I have take time to learn how to do.

D

Deleted member 1147

That's the proof of the pudding right there. You started early which is what we know helps hugely when learning anything!

That just proves that I could do it straight away because I had a natural affinity to play sports. All sports I've ever tried I could do straight away without coaching.

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com

Nope, its an argument of the plainly obvious! :)

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That just proves that I could do it straight away because I had a natural affinity to play sports. All sports I've ever tried I could do straight away without coaching.

I'm impressed you can remember how well you were playing as a very small kid. I would guess you went through a period of missing and miss-hitting the ball until your brain adapted and learned how to move the implement better and make good contact.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope, its an argument of the plainly obvious! :)

It's quite clear that some people have natural ability towards many things in sport

You can teach and practise things but the level of your play will be mainly determined by the level of your natural ability not how much your practise etc.

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I played a lot of badminton when I was small and as a result was by far the best in my school. But in no way does that make me naturally talented. As a result of this I could pick up tennis or squash and it will seem easier for me than for others. Likewise I could probably pick up hockey or baseball better than most due to playing golf.

You have to separate what you have gained after birth, with what you were born with, as it's very easy to mistake one for the other as we've all picked up so many skills without even realising it!

D

Deleted member 15344

That's what people say when you tell them God is an argument from ignorance. Oh, it's just obvious, it had to be an intelligence behind all this!

So can you not tell me why I have a better handicap and play to a better standard of golf than a lot of people who practise more than me ?

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
That's what people say when you tell them God is an argument from ignorance. Oh, it's just obvious, it had to be an intelligence behind all this!

Hmm... I disagree... with this you can see it with your own eyes.

Anyway, I'd love to talk religion with you, but maybe in another thread ;)

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site

...so in your logic, as a 28 year old who hasn't played football much more than the odd game of 5-a-side could absolutely (with the hard work and dedication) have a shot of improving my game such that I could be in with a chance of getting to the 2018 World Cup in Russia??

The fact is, some people are good at sports, some people aren't. I'm not saying that in exceptional cases the odd person could go from duffer to top dog, but these are rare. Most cases people find there level within a few years and will then improve and cut their hcp by around 20% max in the next 10-15 years