Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

www.youtube.com
Hello all,

Question for you.

That's the challenge I'm facing after I took on a challenge from my brother and started officially on May 11th.

If he is proved correct, Jimmy has agreed to do a sponsored round of golf for charity….wearing only a jockstrap!
I currently play off around 20-25, putting him in the distinctly average category. But I'm a trier, have self-belief, and dedication to do it. I'm currently playing at a particularly difficult course in Kent called Westerham (well I think it's difficult).

Anyway, thought I'd pop along here and get your thoughts. What do you guys think, is it achievable?

For more information or to follow the challenge check out:

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scratchinayear

Facebook: www.facebook.com/scratchinayear

Twitter: www.twitter.com/scratchin1year

Email: scratchinayear@gmail.com

Cheers Folks

Jimmy

www.youtube.com
I read it whilst on holiday, it's a good book. I've been speaking with John by email also, going to get some tips from him.

I dont have kids or GF at moment so that's not an issue. My social life has def gone off radar since in the past two weeks too :)

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes he's very accessible.

I just don't want to be obsessed and consumed by such a target.
i want to simply experience the everyday joy and frustration of golf and, yes, improve and compete, but not at the expense of family, friends and my other interests.

Hack-Man-Hob

Club Champion
Visit site
I absolutely love this, and wish you absolutely the very best of luck, I play twice a week on average for 3 years and shot 9 over once, everything came beautifully that day except the putter

practice putting putting putting, easy to practice, May 10th 2015, 18th green 3 footer for par.....

If your quest ever takes you near brum drop by for a quick 18 holes!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So will it be a scratch round at Westerham off the whites. I wish you all the luck in the world but I don't think you can do it in twelve months. I would of given you a chance if you were playing of a lower starting handicap maybe around 10 but 22 is a tough call.

DCB

Visit site
Are we talking about a bona fide CONGU handicap gained in competition conditions which will be a Scratch handicap in 12 months or is it just the ability to shoot a level par round in a game with friends.

First one, no chance ;)

Second one, possible but not the same as first option ;)

20-25 is a fairly wide starting point is it not ?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
How long have you been playing golf to reach 20-25 handicap?

If its longer than 12 months then its going to be virtually impossible to get from there to a level par round in the same timeframe or less imo.

Good luck though, I hope you do it :thup:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you are naturally athletic with good hand/eye coordination and you work and practice hard, it might just be possible. However even naturally gifted players usually seem to take two or three years to get down to scratch or better. The average club golfer has a handicap of about 18, so the stats are not on your side! :)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you'd just started playing the game and were oozing natural talent I'd say yes, there's an outside chance.
Your also going to have to learn how to plot your way around the course, the problem there is that the season usually only lasts 7 months.

Good luck with it, it'll be interesting to see how you get on. :thup:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As above there's a huge difference between shooting level par once and doing it virtually every game....
Good luck but I fear you will struggle to even get to single figures from a starting point in the 20's.
You need to shoot a long way below CSS almost every game to halve your handicap in 12 months.

D

Deleted member 17920

Good luck but I really cant see how it can be done in a year unless you are a complete natural at the game. Even with the help of a pro it still takes weeks to fine tune things.

Then you have to rely on all parts of your game working that day. I am a guarantee that if my irons are working well my putter is stone cold and when the putter is hot the irons and woods are cold as ice.

Brian_C

Club Champion
www.briancurranphotography.com
I wish you all the luck and really hope you achieve it, I really do.

Here's some advise:
1 - Get some Lessons now, don't wait for a couple of months, book them now.
2 - Get lessons weekly or fortnightly initially and tell the Pro what you're trying to do.
3 - Practice putting, putting and then practice putting.
4 - Practice shots around the green from 100yds and in.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello all,

Question for you.

That's the challenge I'm facing after I took on a challenge from my brother and started officially on May 11th.

If he is proved correct, Jimmy has agreed to do a sponsored round of golf for charity….wearing only a jockstrap!
I currently play off around 20-25, putting him in the distinctly average category. But I'm a trier, have self-belief, and dedication to do it. I'm currently playing at a particularly difficult course in Kent called Westerham (well I think it's difficult).

Anyway, thought I'd pop along here and get your thoughts. What do you guys think, is it achievable?

For more information or to follow the challenge check out:

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scratchinayear

Facebook: www.facebook.com/scratchinayear

Twitter: www.twitter.com/scratchin1year

Email: scratchinayear@gmail.com

Cheers Folks

Jimmy

No.

It is possible for Mr Exceptional But Undeveloped Talent to do so, but not Mr Average.

It is always possible for a duffer to have a fluke round where the ball bounces in to the hole off OB markers and thins hit the fly, but the probability is rather low.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Guys comes on with similar challenges from time to time and I can’t remember any in the last 6 years any coming back and saying the achieved this target. It’s possible of course, with lots of hard work and time plus some element of natural ability.

If it’s an official handicap of scratch, sorry no chance.

It might be possible to shoot a level par score, the same as chances of winning the Euro Millions… a lot of luck

D

Deleted member 15344

Think the OP is just trying to shoot a round in par as opposed to gain a scratch handicap

So yes you can go from shooting in the 90's to 100's to shooting a round in par - the guy in the book has already done it

But it takes a lot of hard work and time - so it's not easy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Loads of these challenges pop up from time to time and I can't think anyone aside from John Richardson (Dream On) that has actually managed it. Most come on here full of enthusiasm and then fall by the wayside as the enormity of the challenge becomes apparent. If you are talking about scratch as a handicap figure then you have no chance. If you are talking about playing a one off game and shooting level par, then it's possible but again even with the best will, off your current level its going to take an incredible amount of work and luck.

Cost of lessons and range balls won't be cheap either. I hope you succeed but unfortunately I remain scepticle that you'll get there. I hope you can prove me wrong