Is it possible for Mr Average to become a scratch golfer in just 12 months?

D

Deleted member 15344

The clue is in the title - "Scratch Golfer" - as you well know, Scratch and shooting level par are a world away from each other.

The OP corrected himself two posts later with what he actually wants to do - play a round in par

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
it's a big ask, but not impossible. (a level par round, not a scratch handicap)

there are probably easier courses than Westerham to do it on also :eek: It has a load of trees from memory. If you find any z stars with 3 green dots down the left of the 5th, they're mine:D

Good luck fella. There have been a few of these posted before and my advice would be;

take your glove off when you're putting
lose the denim cut off shorts
and don't read homers blog for inspiration :D

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For Mr Average not impossible but highly unlikely.

Think your brothers safe with his bet, just as well as playing with just a jockstrap would not be a good look;)

Good luck with it anyway.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the forum knows well, I'm trying to get from my starting 17.1 HC to single figures, and through practice, lots of it my swing has improved and my long game has come on leaps and bounds, but I've neglected my short game to the point where its practically none existent.

To reach my goal I do not need to shoot a level par round, I just need to shoot mid to high 70's.

I worked out a spread sheet for my own benefit to work out what I needed to shoot to get to single figures, using the same, I assumed the following:-

• Your course CSS is 72
  • That every 4 weeks you improved your score by 2 strokes
  • That you only play on weekend comp days (Sat or Sun) for HC purposes
  • That you best score thus far is 90, which I used as a starting score
  • That you course stops comps for HC purposes in mid December and doesn't start them again until mid April

If you managed to stick to the above and every 4 weeks reduce you round by two strokes, then by 14 December you would be down to a 6 playing HC shooting rounds of 76, then with plenty practice over the winter, your first round of the new season on 12th April would be a 74, then 4 weeks later on 10th May, one day ahead of your goal, you would shoot a 72, or level par for your course and be playing off 4.

Good luck, as that is going to take a shed load of dedication, determination and positive thinking to reach your goal. Pretty much every hour you have spare when your not working , eating or sleeping is going to be spent practicing.

S

Snelly

Yes it is possible to shoot a level par round after a year of hard work and a generous slice of luck. Unlikely, but definitely possible.

Getting a handicap of scratch in a year (and yes, I appreciate that is not what is being asked) is virtually impossible.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
long hours spent trying to fast forward the golfing journey. I never understand these challenges after someone has already done it.

learn how to pound the driver long and straight. makes the game so much easier if you are taking your 2nd shot closer to the green. nail the short game.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
how many times do we see posts like this,most have a book or dvd to flog and we all know us golfers are the most easy led lot,if someone brought out a cream that you rubbed on your balls(steady) and put them in the fridge overnight to gain 50yds of the tee it would sell in its thousands,it you think a 24h/c golfer can get to scratch (congu)in twelve months its just wishful thinking.

www.youtube.com
Thank you sir, your words are much appreciated.

Would love to get a round in in B-Town. I'm London based so don't have plans to get up that way at the moment but if i do pass through will be sure to drop you a line on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4H7V9thiz4&list=HL1400846378&feature=mh_lolz

You can follow my progress on YouTube! will be putting in MANY MANY hours of putting practise as advised by so many people.

I absolutely love this, and wish you absolutely the very best of luck, I play twice a week on average for 3 years and shot 9 over once, everything came beautifully that day except the putter

practice putting putting putting, easy to practice, May 10th 2015, 18th green 3 footer for par.....

If your quest ever takes you near brum drop by for a quick 18 holes!

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Yes you can do it. 1st step is believing you can do it.

Westerham is a good course and I know it well as I have played it many times.
Course management will play a big part and Westerham gives you plenty of opportunity to play safe as well as try the high tariff shots - which will give you plenty of opportunity to work out which holes you can play aggressively and which you should play safe.

Without being an expert of shooting 20-25 under your handicap, I would definitely recommend spending a lot of time learning to putt, chip, pitch and play out of bunkers - otherwise you will have to rely on an exceptional long game.

Good luck and let us know if you do it.

"a bad attitude is worse than a bad swing" - Payne Stewart