Is it just me

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For a few weeks now I've been playing regularly with another member, usually a couple of rounds during the week and then meeting up with another guy on a weekend.

We are prety much all of the same standard (not exactly tearing the course up ;) ), but something is really starting to bug me! During the weekend games the third player will often hit a bad shot, as do we all, but after each and every poor shot there is an outburst and several expletives then he will drop another two or three balls and re-hit the shot, this culminated yesterday in a mid-iron flying further than the ball! He always continues to play his match ball but its really starting to bug me as hardly a hole is played where this doesn't happen, it's not unusual to play an approach shot and by the time I've picked up my bag the green has 4 or 5 balls dotted around!

Okay these are just social games and whilst we score a card, this is just for fun and the associated banter, so no suggestion that he is doing anything underhand.

Am I getting too hung up on what he is doing? Not sure whether I should have a quiet word, or even a strong word, or if it's just me letting his antics get to me! :D

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
You're a better man than me, i'd have lamped him by now!!!

Next time he does it, have a quiet word and explain that that is what the driving range is for, the golf course is not the place to put practice balls down and practics shots.

Failing that, wrap your driver round his neck!!

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Its a tough one as you don't want to appear over sensitive yet the guy is affecting your enjoyment of the round. Maybe if you try to bring a competitive element to the game, you could enforce the rules and stop him hitting the extra balls, but may increase the swearing.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it is just a knock about then I don't mind if someone hits another ball if they've made a mess of their original attempt......but only the one and only if it isn't delaying the game too much.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't mind a 'provisional' or two being played. Especially if you are up the back of the group in front, with no where to go, and no one behind. Same with the swearing, and club throwing. As long as he cheers up quickly, and isn't miserable for the whole round.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd just walk down the fairway as he's cursing after the first one, and then if he starts belting more balls down, bollock him for being dangerous !!

Maybe one extra shot is forgiveable, but 4/5 ??? Oh, and remind him, 'practise on the course' is usually not allowed, and he risks forfeiting his membership if picked up by the wrong person......

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I really lost my rag yesterday after four putting a green from about 12 feet. Helicoptered my putter at my bag for the first time in bloody years. It was a bit more than "helicoptered" when I think about it... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a brother who also doesn't have the right the patience or temperament for golf... i've suggested a few times now that he'd be better taking up another sport where full contact is allowed!

It gets really annoying when he starts throwing clubs, swearing, moaning at other folk and making up new rules about picking up balls etc folling a bad shot. I've now forbidden myself from playing golf with him again until he mellows out a bit!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't mind the swearing as long as there is no-one else in earshot, nor the club throwing tbh - quite funny actually! But yesterday the practice shots got a bit out of hand i.e. several holes there was a duffed mid-iron followed by a duffed chip! I was surprised he had so many balls with him lol

<mental note to self> Don't EVER p*ss KeefG off!!! :D

ericsonnycon

Medal Winner
Visit site
If I'm to be honest if I'm playing on my own and there is no-one infront or behind I will throw a couple of balls down and get a bit of practice in, but I would never do that when playing with someone even if it is a friendly knock.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
That would never happen at our club without someone having a stiff word with him. OK, to hit the odd one, but 4 - 5 every time he makes a mistake.....ridiculous.

I think you have to grasp the nettle mate, otherwise it wont stop and bottom line you are not enjoying your golf.

Good luck !!

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
you pay your membership to enjoy playing golf, don't let someone else spoil it. Personnally don't mind the odd rant (do it myself sometimes) but what he is doing is ruining your day and breaking the rules.

it is just not what you do on a golf course when playing with other players!!!!