Is always playing stableford stopping you getting a lower handicap ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Since I've been on here it's clear the game of choice for the majority is stableford, which is fine if that's what you like but something makes me think it's a cop out and is restricting folk from having a lower handicap.

Argue your case otherwise, to me, you're taking an easy option rather than battling hard to put a score together.

D

Deleted member 15344

Regardless of what strokeplay format you play your handicap and any reductions are always based on your Stableford score

So no is the answer to your question

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ok ill bite, handicaps are calculated on stableford basis whether playing medal or stableford so doesnt actually matter, as for cop out and restricting from a lower handicap nah, its a game we play for fun, play the version which gives you the most fun

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regardless of what strokeplay format you play your handicap and any reductions are always based on your Stableford score

This.

And wouldn’t it work the other way round in that if anything stableford enables a lower handicap?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Also concerns me the amount of people that don’t know this! One terrible hole doesn’t need to ruin a round for handicap calculation

D

Deleted member 15344

As per the other replies.

The obsession with strokeplay is just golf snobbery.

Sorry but first I guess you mean medal play as strokeplay covers both medal and Stableford

And playing a medal and looking to shoot the lowest you can is the main way of playing the sport - in what way is it “snobbery”

Scratch comps all use medal because then it’s pure and just the lowest score wins

The handicap system is great but at times there also needs to be rewards for people that score the best score

Medal is the toughest format - in Stableford you can mess up a hole badly but still win , it’s tough to do that in a medal

Too many people throw around the snobbery word with no thought

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I always try to play with strokeplay in mind. Generally i'm playing folk where we score it in stableford bu i find i work harder not to just blob a hole if i'm concerned with total score.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry but first I guess you mean medal play as strokeplay covers both medal and Stableford

And playing a medal and looking to shoot the lowest you can is the main way of playing the sport - in what way is it “snobbery”

Scratch comps all use medal because then it’s pure and just the lowest score wins

The handicap system is great but at times there also needs to be rewards for people that score the best score

Medal is the toughest format - in Stableford you can mess up a hole badly but still win , it’s tough to do that in a medal

Too many people throw around the snobbery word with no thought

I gave it plenty of thought thanks. The snobbery is in the way Stableford is looked down upon and the way people who like it are looked down upon. It's a different format and one that is enjoyed by many.

I have no issue with scratch comps but that wasn't raised by the op.

Anyway, too nice a day to get involved in one of your epic, pedantic arguments. Fill your boots with a reply if you feel the need.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I see it as one and the same. Play well in Stableford and you'll get a cut, and if anything its easier to get a cut. You could throw in a quad bogey but it'll only count as a double, hence only 2 shots dropped for handicap calcs.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thinking of this differently.

If it’s not about the scoring mechanism, as they both use the same.

Is there a difference mentally that makes a difference? Would playing more medals help you improve mentally and improve course management? Therefore lowering scores and handicap?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thinking of this differently.

If it’s not about the scoring mechanism, as they both use the same.

Is there a difference mentally that makes a difference? Would playing more medals help you improve mentally and improve course management? Therefore lowering scores and handicap?

I think you could be right.
People like Stableford because it allows them to blob or have a major meltdown but still continue the round.

One thing that winds me up slightly is the one that come in with 39 points and their next words are with 3 blobs.

IMO medal or scratch is the true test of golf,playing Stableford all the time gets people used to blobbing.

Funny enough there are a lot of players that won't enter the medals.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think when comparing the two forms of play there is always more pressure playing medal stroke play than stableford so if you can learn to handle the pressure it will make you a better player and therefore in turn should lower your handicap.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s Golf, love it, any format, any chance I get.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Stableford is more sociable and more inclusive and so players wanting to play in a large roll up and enjoy being part of the group and still be competitive enjoy that format more. We have more than enough medal events (weekend and weekly medals every month, plus numerous honours board events). Constantly playing medal is non-inclusive and a fast track to regular slow play on a social weekend round

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im going back to a few s'ford comps to try find my game . Playing alot of scratch cups and .1's building up . Its 2 r 3 bad holes killing me . Few s'ford and maybe society outing r 2 will hopefuly bring the good vibes back

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think its a no brainer that playing more medals would make you a better golfer. In S'ford if I mess up a hole I care not a dot about it as I know it will matter little in the bigger picture. You don't have such a comfort zone in medals and as such you approach it different. Course management is a much bigger element in medals. I for one take more risks in S'ford

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
As someone who wants to start playing medals this year, if I have a blow up hole and take an 8, would that just count as a double bogey looking at it from a handicap perspective, the same as a stableford?