irons

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cheers guys. Think I will get them regripped and try that. Wheres best to buy grips And any kind of grips best?

If you are going to fit them yourself, the best place to buy is probably gamola golf. I'm guessing though that you will want them fitted so any decent pro or golf shop can do it for you. Which ones all comes down to personal taste, try holding a few clubs in a shop to see which you like the feel of.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would a new set of irons help my game? I got a set of calaway x16s about 11 years ago and never played with anything else so would a new set of irons help???

If you are looking for a set of irons to help lower your scores, then you might be disappointed. New or old, a hook, a slice, a thin or a big heavy shot will still happen. It all comes down to why you are looking at new clubs and do they fall into one of these:

1) Old and battered.
2) Needing to change to a different shaft.
3) Upgrading from a beginner set.
4) You just want something new and shiny in your bag :lol:

I'm not saying a new set will not lower your score, but don't change clubs thinking that it will mask a flaw within your swing.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I often see what I would class as 'high end' equipment on various courses I've played recently and instantly assume that the player is well versed and 'knows his stuff' I then watch they hit various duffers here there and all around the course. I don't judge. People are prone to the new things, and I know a few guys who buy stuff all the time and still can't find that one club that does what they need, when really they are likely coming from the wrong angle.

I've always bought the best that I could afford. I learned the guitar faster when I bought a Gibson Les Paul. I learned photography at an alarming rate, when I bought my Canon 1D camera. I probably could go out and fill a staff bag with top end stuff, but I don't want to put myself under the pressure to perform with said gear. Golf's a funny game, and I don't think it conforms to the belief that better gear means accelerated growth in ability.

Sometimes if you're stuck in a circle of friends who are serial upgraders of everything in life, it's blooming hard to sit back and be normal. There's also nothing wrong with a wee treat every now and then, but only if you're hitting it well.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
What shafts r better for irons?

That's a very individual question. I have to use a heavy, low spinning, low trajectory shaft, but that's just me. If you struggle to hit your irins high with a good amount of backspin then you might benefit from some of the lightweight shafts out there.

bit like is being said, go on a launch monitor and try some different ones out. Use your irons as the comparison and see how other ones compare.

just be careful, seen many people make expensive mistakes by thinking new irons will solve all. When actually a couple of lessons would be far more beneficial.

Last edited:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I found that a new set of clubs made a hell of a difference to my game but only because my old ones were giving my right shoulder and elbow some serious grief and would leave me wanting to wrap it up and go home by the time I'd finished the front 11, I'm hitting slightly shorter with my new irons (not much though) but they are so much easier to play with, I'd get 170-180 with my old 6 iron whereas I'm getting 160-170 with my new 6 iron so lost maybe 10yds but don't regret/miss it one bit !...:thup:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys. Think I will get them regripped and try that. Wheres best to buy grips And any kind of grips best?

However you do it its probably going to cost as much as the TM clubs you have available.

If you haven't given your grips a thorough clean then it's worth doing that first ( cost negligible ) - scrubbing brush, loads of washing up liquid with very, very hot water and and a bit of work. They will come up softer cleaner and grippier. On the other hand if they are worn out ....😢

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
In the same area myself. Having come back to the game following a 10 year absence & still using TaylorMade Tour Burner irons from over 20 years ago! Upgraded my Driver & 3 Wood to TaylorMade Rocketballs over the winter & that made a massive difference. Went to a Taylormade Demo day on Tuesday & got to like the RSi2. Difference in the lofts & shaft allowed me to get over 25 yards extra distance with a 7 iron. They put my old 7 iron on the computer also to make a comparison. Fantastic piece of kit those guys use & can be very persuasive!. But maybe the money I am spending on a good coach to rectify all the swing issues is better spent I think right now. I now know the head, shaft, length, lie, grip, combination that I would like, so will sleep on it a while.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In the same area myself. Having come back to the game following a 10 year absence & still using TaylorMade Tour Burner irons from over 20 years ago! Upgraded my Driver & 3 Wood to TaylorMade Rocketballs over the winter & that made a massive difference. Went to a Taylormade Demo day on Tuesday & got to like the RSi2. Difference in the lofts & shaft allowed me to get over 25 yards extra distance with a 7 iron. They put my old 7 iron on the computer also to make a comparison. Fantastic piece of kit those guys use & can be very persuasive!. But maybe the money I am spending on a good coach to rectify all the swing issues is better spent I think right now. I now know the head, shaft, length, lie, grip, combination that I would like, so will sleep on it a while.

Personally I would go for the newer irons if you can afford it and keep working on the swing changes. Better to make the changes with a set of clubs that you can use for many years to come. Of course I accept factors like cost will always be a consideration but you seem to be hitting them nicely and longer (although the cranked TM loft will do that)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I look at new irons, like the Callaway Xr and the TaylorMade Rsi irons and wonder if they'd help with confidence a tad.

I purchased my RSi's a few months ago and my confidence with them is sky high. I've never enjoyed hitting irons so much in my life.
TaylorMade are not a brand that I'd ever been drawn to in the past, but after reading/watching the reviews I took the plunge.
Sure, the lofts are "jacked up" compared to irons of a few years ago, but the shafts I have in them (regular graphite) are absolutely fantastic and I am getting much greater distance with them combined with a much higher ball flight. The ball just fizzes off the club face, and as a consequence I am hitting and holding a lot more greens nowadays due to the extra spin I am getting.
I am hitting one, sometimes two less clubs than I was a year or so ago, and this in turn has increased my enthusiasm for the game.
I actually look forward to hitting a 5 or 4 iron now. In the past, I would have either put the 4 iron away in the cupboard, never to see the light of day, or tried to manufacture a shot of that distance with a 5 or 7 wood which usually ended up with disastrous results.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't know what I fancy taylormade something. I been offered taylormade tp for £60???

Almost worth buying just to see! If they don't work out, then I doubt whether you'd lose much (if any, and could make a profit) reselling them!

It could, however, start an expensive itch! :rolleyes:

Markw

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine are pro series aswell. They are good irons .

You will do well to better them with any new iron, more forgiving than they suggest with the 'pro' tag on them, probably one of the most forgiving and playable iron ever, only thing that I don't like is looks but when the game is off with my J40's I get them out with good results, I also tend to use them when the course is very wet as the sole is less likely to dig in. I picked up a set of 3-pw and have added 2 iron, Gap, sand and lob, all with x100 shafts and love them.

If you don't want to move away too much from what you are used too and are interested I am putting a set of Callaway forged X tours up for sale soon cheap, looks like a bit sleeker x16 pro and forged, not quite as forgiving but lovely feel.
http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/callaway-x-tour-irons-review-273.aspx

Last edited: