irons

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Possibly but not necessarily.
X 16's are a decent set of irons so it depends on what you want from them.
A bit chunky compared to modern sets but very forgiving and without the strengthened lofts you find these days.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
11 years old, don't you know how much metal degrades in that time :D

Definitely time for some new shinies ,
* guaranteed to lower your scores.

* not really true but who cares

gazr99

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well my irons are about 11 years old as well and was looking at new sets myself. However when trying different irons in the shops, there was no notable difference in performance compared to my current irons.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat. Currently using Ping eye 2+ irons circa 1990. Hitting them ok but wondering if I should upgrade to something like some G20/G25 irons, and like you, wondering would I see a difference.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know what I fancy taylormade something. I been offered taylormade tp for £60???

Well the really simple test is to take the 6 or 7 iron to a range alng with you current one; hit 20 balls with each and you will have an informed view on whether they may be better for you. This is of course a long way from whether they are the best for you - but it's a huge step in the right direction and for £60....

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I also have an oldish set - G5s, quite similar to x16s. They fit me well and I'm playing as well as I ever have, particularly with the irons. I don't think that a new set would make a blind bit of difference to me, and if yours are a reasonable fit for you, I doubt that new ones would change your game much either.

A couple of thoughts - re-gripping often completely revitalises a set. If you haven't done it for a couple of years, get a nice new set on.

The other thing to bear in mind is even IF a new set of irons gives slightly different results to your current ones during a test (a few yards more, or a different flight), this doesn't always translate into better scores. Scoring well at golf is not the same as hitting clubs differently on the range !

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a set of Callaway X14 Pro series that I sometimes go back to when my ball striking goes off. As said, weaker lofts than modern irons so play a club shorter but apart from that, no difference.

If you want a new set of bats then go for it but don't expect miracle results.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It really does.

As a minor bit of custom fitting, it might be worth getting the pro to check that they are the correct size for you.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
New grips will help, but club technology has moved on a lot and 11 years for a set of cbubs is probably too long. Most guys on here will change there clubs about every 3 years I guess, unless your name isHomer and its every year! Speak to your pro or get down to somewhere like AG or DG and try some against your callaways.

D

Deleted Member 1156

New grips will help, but club technology has moved on a lot and 11 years for a set of cbubs is probably too long. Most guys on here will change there clubs about every 3 years I guess, unless your name isHomer and its every year! Speak to your pro or get down to somewhere like AG or DG and try some against your callaways.

You Sir are a marketing man's dream :D

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play with Cleveland TA2 irons, and they are probably the best irons I've ever used. They are battered and rusted at the back a wee bit, and I look at new irons, like the Callaway Xr and the TaylorMade Rsi irons and wonder if they'd help with confidence a tad. It's an awful expense to get it wrong. Luckily for me, I trust the guy at AG where I am as he's a pal, he won't sell me anything I don't need, no matter how much I throw a tantrum.

My mate on the other hand plays with these Ben Sayer irons, similar to those you would have found in Argos in 1999, all corroded along the top line and on the back, but the guy plays exactly the same as me with them. His woods are the dull alloy cheap ones too and he hits it straight, might take 3 to get to a green, but he's consistent around them enough. You have to wonder sometimes.

Some would say a hammer is a hammer.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with titlest dci irons that are probably about 15 years old , I only put them in my bag as I recently began struggling with my new irons . I have began scoring way better , hitting more greens in regulation and making a tonne more birdies . The guy who gives me lessons is trying to talk me into some new clubs , but at the moment I'm hitting these nicely . Stick with what's working !

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only way to be sure is to try out other clubs and compare. I personally upgraded from a second hand set of TM burner tour irons to my current mizuno's. The TM's were fitted for the bloke I brought them off who is 6'2'' to my 5'6'' so I found the mizunos were far superior because I was fitted rather than newer tech.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day I would say the difference between old and new isn't that great and the biggest effect is mental. If you want new clubs get them but it's not going to make you suddenly play off scratch.