Irons - you don't hit down on them!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
an iron should definitely be hit with a downward blow. however to get the club head to work down the handle has to move up. this happens naturally

Not sure this is quite accurate. Maybe in a good swing. For example, does the handle raise naturally for someone who flicks or scoops the ball?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the source of my original post. Interesting reading.

if you or any other folks should be interested in the physics involved in the golf swing & the golf club would be better advised to look at the work of Dr Steven Nesbit who was commissioned by the usga in the 1990"s to do the research that led to the firming up of the rules & regulations placed on modern golf club design

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yes, all right, the clubhead comes from above the ball so it's a downward strike, but what I said was we shouldn't consciously​ hit down.

I agree with this part. You shouldn't be consciously hitting down, it should just happen (and to the correct degree) if you swing properly.... (ie: having the low point 1-3 inches in front of the ball).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think its more a case of having the lowest point in the arc of the swing below and just after the ball. I thought the idea is to compress the ball ever so slightly against the ground as you hit it to impart more backspin.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think this is a fallacy. Backspin, according to physicists, is caused by the ball rolling up the clubface.

Maybe, but the concept is by compressing it against the ground the ball doesn't ping off the club face quite so quickly and it gains more contact from the club face.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe, but the concept is by compressing it against the ground the ball doesn't ping off the club face quite so quickly and it gains more contact from the club face.

the ball definitely doesn't compress against the ground

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching that video on 0.25 speed (great feature on YouTube!) you can see its descending right up to impact then sharply turns. The low point of the swing would be after be ball position even if the ball wasn’t there.

The issue is not with the advice but how it’s interpreted.