Irons with carbon shafts VS steel shafts?

stu3y

Medal Winner
Visit site
just wondering what the pros and cons are? i was told the carbon ones are aimed more towads the older golfer with a slower swing speed? ive not long since started playing, and have a set with carbon shafts, was advised today to go for a set with steel shafts..

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
was this professional advice, or a 'friend'

depends on a bunch of things -
on clubhead speed to a certain extent, how the swing motion 'loads' a shaft
what flex the carbon shafts are relative to the above

generally newer carbon shafts are more stable than much older versions because of the advances in how they are manufactured

number of PGA Tour Pro's have composite carbon shafts in their irons

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Graphite shafts are generally lighter, so players with less swing speed can move them more easily, and may pick up some distance. They are also more absorbent from a shock at impact pop, so if you have dodgy wrists or elbow, may be less jarring. Lots and lots of graphite shafts available with all sorts of playing characteristics, most of which are high quality quite unlike the fishing rods of a decade or two back, but there is also an increasing range of lightweight smooth steel shafts, which overlap with graphite shafts. The steel/graphite combo shafts (e.g. the Aerotech Steelfiber) are high end performance shafts and would usually not be suitable for someone struggling with steel shafts.

DaveL

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club head snapped off my 7 iron (steel set), and the only ones I could find at the time that matched my set was a graphite one, which I bought. I haven't got a particularly quick swing speed, and I can't feel any difference between the 7 and any other club in the set.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer, try a demo club with steel and graphite and see what works better. Most pro shops or ranges will have demo sets available. See if you can try it on a monitor and see the distances, dispersion etc