Irons - Switch to graphite shafts

• Thread starter Deleted member 23344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23344

I’m 67 and have a slowish swing speed, particularly given that I don’t give it my all as my ball striking accuracy suffers if I do. I have been using Ping G20 irons for a few years, with steel regular flex shafts. Earlier this month, I played a round on Madeira with hired clubs ... Taylormade M2 2016 irons with graphite regular flex shafts. I really hit them well, even allowing for the jacked up lofts as compared to my G20s ... so much so, that I have bought a set (6-SW) and will be trying them next time out.

Not that it particularly matters, but I’m intrigued as to whether the improvement is due to (a) the switch to graphite or (b) simply improved head design in the period in between ... or both. Any thoughts? Has anyone here experienced a switch from steel to graphite with the same model of iron, thereby allowing a direct comparison?

DCB

Visit site
Prior to my accident in 2014 I was playing Mizuno MP64 with light Nippon steel shafts. I had to completely review how I was going to try to play golf again. I ended up going to graphite shafts, tried them in a similar R flex, but, on advice from my physios, I decided to get as much help as possible, so, tried the Senior flex. What a difference. I was playing an out and out GI club, and coupled with a soft flex shaft found I could hit a reasonable shot.

Recently changed to a set of Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal with senior flex graphite shafts. A better quality shaft this time and it really suits me. I will never hit a long iron as I did before, but, I know I'm getting everything out of the club's with the best shaft for my swing speed. Check out grip sizing as well, a mid size grip helps reduce tension in the forearms and adds a little to the swing speed.

Any little help is welcome as far as i'm concerned.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I changed the graphite shafts in my Orka irons from regular to senior about 4 years ago after some back issues,
I’m very happy with them, but it is very important to concentrate on swing tempo as if you try to really tonk one the whippy shaft does funny things .

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I went to graphite this year due to a combination of arthritis, tendonitis and carpal tunnel.

I instantly noticed less stress and strain on my wrists and my thumbs due to the vibration dampening qualities compared to steel. Distance wise I'm not sure that I have seen any gain, probably same distance as steel. Again dispersion isn't any worse either. I can't see you having any issues changing and hopefully you'll see more benefits and positives than negatives.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
When I got fitted at Callaway 2-3 years ago, I tried a selection of shafts and heads before finishing up with XR heads with a UST Recoil shaft. Distance wise there wasn't much difference but the dispersion with the UST Recoil was much less than any other steel or graphite shafts I tried. The lighter shafts also made it easier to swing and provide less vibration too.
So for me it was definitely a benefit but you have to make sure you have the right shafts, whether steel or graphite.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I changed the graphite shafts in my Orka irons from regular to senior about 4 years ago after some back issues,
I’m very happy with them, but it is very important to concentrate on swing tempo as if you try to really tonk one the whippy shaft does funny things .

Nothing worse than a whippy shaft

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I switch back and forwards between steel and graphite.

Graphite can be manufactured to a wide range of flex and flex profiles, so that's not really a differentiator.

In my case the key reason why I get on with one, or other, is the weight. The graphite are 85g and the steels are 118g (the actual swing weights are massively different though as the head weights compensate as they do with lighter steel shafts etc).

Sometimes I feel more comfortable and can maintain tempo with the lighter shafts - sometimes the heavier. Depends on my back and legs in any given period.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not just jacked up lofts. The shafts are probably half an inch longer as well.

It could be simply that your swing tempo is much better suited to graphite.

I went the other way round I played graphite shafts for years and went back to steel with the advent of much lighter weight steel shafts.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
An interesting thread for me. I use regular steel shafts but depending on where I've been tested have been on the cusp of stiff. I'm starting to find many modern steel shafts a little heavy even in regular flex and want to start dabbling into graphite versions. I think even with a quick(ish) swing speed I could cope with a stiff graphite and it may even give me more control. Definitely want to hit some modern graphite shafts as I haven't used them since I owned a set of Wilson Tour with their Fat Shafts back in int early 90's and I know graphite shaft manufacturing has definitely improved

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If there is you'll get the position of President. (y) :ROFLMAO:

Excuse me Big Boy but my latest irons now have 105 stiff shafts and not these "orange whip" shafts that these oldies use, why, my 7 iron is now carrying all of 120 yards 🤔

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the club make a very different sound when fitted with graphite shafts?

My mate has a mizuno wedge set with project x graphite shafts. Sound odd and the feel isn't great.

My mates driving iron can sound a bit odd too.

Fabia999

Visit site
I’m finding this thread very interesting.

I struggle with heavier clubs and seriously considered graphite irons. I will look into getting some fitted in the new year.

For anyone who uses graphite irons, which ones do you recommend?

D

Deleted member 23344

Thanks for all the replies. A few points:

- yes, the graphite shafts are longer ... each by 0.25 inch;
- weight is an interesting factor ... I had not thought of that;
- I did wonder about senior flex shafts, as I have them in my driver, fairways and hybrids, but I seem to hit regular flex OK in my irons.

Fabia999

Visit site
I have recently visited American Golf and seen a set of BenRoss HTX Comp Gold - lite flex graphite shaft 5-GW down from £420 to £250.

Has anyone got a set of these or any BenRoss clubs. I’m relatively new to golf and I’ve never heard of this brand.